Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2015 2:50:53 PM EDT
When you take the dog home after your shift does he become part of the family like a regular pet? Does the dog play with your children, stay in the house, or do you have to keep a certain level of separation between the family and the dog?

Don't know why, just something I was curious about.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The K-9 handler for my department used to live 3 houses down from me. When they went out of town, I fed and took care of him. He was apart of their family and I was an extension of it as well. Of course, it helped that I was around him a lot.

In their house he was just part of the pack, slept, played, ate and played some more. Our kids used to rough house him and he loved them for it.  

MPD165
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The K-9 handler for my department used to live 3 houses down from me. When they went out of town, I fed and took care of him. He was apart of their family and I was an extension of it as well. Of course, it helped that I was around him a lot.

In their house he was just part of the pack, slept, played, ate and played some more. Our kids used to rough house him and he loved them for it.  

MPD165
View Quote

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Not all of the dogs will adapt to the family. Some have personalities that would conflict with children. I was lucky, as mine was part of the family.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the dog.  From what I have seen with our guys, they are part of the family.
The dogs are insanely smart and they can tell when it's "work" time and when it's "home" time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Most police dogs integrate well with the family. I am sure there are exceptions, however, as a current handler my experience has been they enjoy the off duty time hanging with the family.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#6]
In the past it was a given the dog became a family pet when the shift was over, that was also the days of german shepherds
imported mostly from Germany being the universal choice for police K9's, today the malinois and dutch shepherd have almost
caught up and even gained ground making it about a 60/40 split favoring the mal/dutchie which aren't nearly as good in the
house as the old GSD was.
So in response, the euro GSD police dog kennels have tailored their breeding programs for a much higher drive GSD that
doesn't give up much to a mal in the work, that results in a dog that also isn't very good in the house for the same reasons.

Aside from the dog aspect, there's the training aspect, it's becoming more and more accepted that the police dog should be
kept in his kennel when not working, the opinion being it keeps the dog clearer and more focused knowing that when he gets
taken out and loaded up, it's work time.

At the end of the day it still comes down to the dog's personality and the skill of the handler, that will determine what works best.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My maligator is absolutely part of the family. Loves my wife and is very tolerant of my young kids. That being said, I am also always conscious of what be is trained and capable of. The kids dont play with him unsupervised and if we are having house guests he goes in the bedroom. Its not worth having to take a dog out of service because someone who is completely oblivious to what he is plays with him like he is their uncle Bo's "shephard that used to be a police dog"
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]
most ive seen are outside in a kennel until they get retired. There is too much $$ into their training to let them come in and get used to a cushy house when they will probably have to work out in the hot and cold, as well as personality traits that wouldn't make for a good dog around kids.

They are trained to bite people on command and get rewarded for it, gotta keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
most ive seen are outside in a kennel until they get retired. There is too much $$ into their training to let them come in and get used to a cushy house when they will probably have to work out in the hot and cold, as well as personality traits that wouldn't make for a good dog around kids.

They are trained to bite people on command and get rewarded for it, gotta keep that in mind.
View Quote

That is a very outdated method. Its been proven that the dogs benefit from going home and decompressing as much as we do. Look at military dog handlers. Goodgle it, you will see them on deployment with their dogs by their side, constantly... at the chow hall, dog is there, working out, dog is there, sleeping... guess what... dog is there. They are trained to APPREHEND, not bite. A well trained dog will only apprehend when commanded to or for handler protection.

Edit: I do know guys who have kennels outside, but its not because the dogs cant socialize with the family
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Historically our retired dogs are released to the handler as their personal property upon retirement
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I had several friends, in neighboring jurisdictions, who had to watch how they handled their partners. They both had been bitten and the dogs were not allowed in the house off duty.

All the dogs, on the one department I worked for which had K-9s, were part of the family.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had several friends, in neighboring jurisdictions, who had to watch how they handled their partners. They both had been bitten and the dogs were not allowed in the house off duty.

All the dogs, on the one department I worked for which had K-9s, were part of the family.
View Quote

I dont think I know of a handler off the top of my head who hasnt been bit. Just comes with the territory. My k9 has got me a couple times. He has also saved my bacon, I will take the bite all day long for the unwavering courage and loyalty that dog has shown me. We have gone into some pretty hairy shit together, he never asks questions, never doubts, I hook him up and I know he has me covered. And I know he knows I have his back. He is a tool, i understand this and i have no doubt he would willingly sacrafice himself for me. But he is also somewhere between a partner, a son and a brother. For me to leave him in a kennel in my yard is out of the question
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was friends with a K9 handler
His patrol dog was off lead in and around the house including when people came over
The way I saw it, there were 3 levels with him off duty: family, known, unknown.  
He was very smart and as soon as the handler got work gear his personality would change he would get amped up for work
View Quote

I would have to think it would be this.

My hunting dogs were pets right up until you show up in hunting gear or get the guns out. That's when they flip a switch and go into work mode.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Ive always had Hunting dogs. This is my first GSD. Ive noticed the porblem isnt so much integrating with the family as it is integrating with "others" who might come by the house. A GSD is extremely protective of his family and his turf tho they normally wont bite unless threatened, commanded to, or the family is threatened. If you enter our property unannounced my dog wont allow you to move until I come out and release him. He even did it with my God Child whom he didnt know.

They arent dogs for everyone. Ive trained for quite a few years tho Im not a K9 and my experience is with Hunting dogs. Same concepts tho. A dog must be trained and disciplined.

Ive noticed tho a lot of people are afraid of GSDs where they never were of my vizsla's, GSHs, retrievers. And GSDs pick up that "fear" very easily and up goes the hair. So I have to be careful when other people are around, some of whom act like Im walking a Leopard for Gods sake. He wont bite or attack but he'll growl if he senses fear and I dont need the drama.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Just so you know, raising the hair on his back is a fear based behavior.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on the individual dog.

Quoted:

My hunting dogs were pets right up until you show up in hunting gear or get the guns out. That's when they flip a switch and go into work mode.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was friends with a K9 handler
His patrol dog was off lead in and around the house including when people came over
The way I saw it, there were 3 levels with him off duty: family, known, unknown.  
He was very smart and as soon as the handler got work gear his personality would change he would get amped up for work

Yeah most of them are relaxed until they see the handler putting on his uniform then they know its time to work.

Whats funny is most of them get really excited during a vehicle pursuit because they know they probably about to bite someone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
My younger brother is a K9 officer for the county, I'm a municipal cop. His first dog needed to be kenneled at all times, when not at work. That dog was a mean motherfucker. The only human he came close to liking was my brother, even his wife wouldnt go near the dog. The dog just wouldn't ever com out of "work mode". He's glad they didn't have kids when he had that dog.

His current dog lives in the house with the family, and is good with people he knows, but is still cautious around new people.

It really just depends on the dog's personality.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#19]
My buddy's dog is kept kenneled outside unless the weather is bad. With him already having a pit that is fairly protective of his turf and another mixed mutt of some sort, it would inevitably become an issue.

His work dog is a spaz though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Neighbor's K9 stays in a kennel outside at all times.  Not the friendlies dog but when he's handling it the dog is all business.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a little late on the post, but I really like the way you described your partner. You take care of him and he takes care of you. I work 12 hour shifts with my partner  and have for the past 4 years. You develop a strong bond that most people can't understand. I keep my dog inside and he interacts well with my family including small kids. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#22]
One of my most memorable moments on teams was squeezing 5 fully kitted officers with weapons, plus bite dog, into the back of a small unmarked van to go out on an operation.

FNG asks 'where does the dog sit?'

An older hand replies, 'wherever he f£cking wants to'.

Always makes me smile.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#23]
In the heat of things and you release the dog and there are other officers around and a bad guy,  how does the dog know which to bite?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In the heat of things and you release the dog and there are other officers around and a bad guy,  how does the dog know which to bite?
View Quote

You aim them alot like a pistol. If the target is between the ears and the dog is keyed up they generally arent going to come off of what they are tuned in on. Its the handlers job to make sure they aquire the correct target and recall or not release if they get off target. It also helps when cops dont get tunnel vision and run infront of your dog when they have been told he will be released
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You aim them alot like a pistol. If the target is between the ears and the dog is keyed up they generally arent going to come off of what they are tuned in on. Its the handlers job to make sure they aquire the correct target and recall or not release if they get off target. It also helps when cops dont get tunnel vision and run infront of your dog when they have been told he will be released
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our K9 guys gave us a short training on if, and when, they get called out. In short, what 0E8 said was correct. Don't cross their vision and the handler will give a "clear" to all officers that the dog will be released.

Friend who is a handler keeps his inside. I'm around the dog on and off duty, and it truly has 2 different personalities.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Our K9 guys gave us a short training on if, and when, they get called out. In short, what 0E8 said was correct. Don't cross their vision and the handler will give a "clear" to all officers that the dog will be released.

Friend who is a handler keeps his inside. I'm around the dog on and off duty, and it truly has 2 different personalities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It never fails, serving since lunch thinks he is gonna outrun patches and catch the bad guy....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top