Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2015 8:50:42 PM EDT
We've had a run of thieves cutting out the exhaust from newer diesel pick ups and selling them for the stuff inside. Had 3 done last night.
Anyone else having this issue?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a rash of them a couple years back.  Dodge trucks were a common target as they bolted the cats in making for an easy removal.  Local dealers started welding them and problem seems to have decreased to where I no longer hear about it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]
We've had runs of that.  Usually cutting out the catalytic converters for the scrap value.  It's easy now with cordless saws.  

It's usually the same people hitting a bunch of vehicles in a short period of time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#5]
All the freaking time... watch car lots and rental truck lots like u-haul pensky etc. You will get em
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Havent had a run on Diesel cats per se but we usually have a pretty steady rate of cat thefts in general, despite catching a few people every month. Appearanlty lots of goodies inside a cat, lol.

J-
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Platinum in the cats?
View Quote

I think there is another metal too that they are getting, cant think of it off the top of my head right now.

A couple of years ago they were getting just over $100 per cat at our local scrap yards.

J-
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think there is another metal too that they are getting, cant think of it off the top of my head right now.

A couple of years ago they were getting just over $100 per cat at our local scrap yards.

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Platinum in the cats?

J-

Platinum, palladium, and rhodium. (thanks Wiki. Knew the first two, rhodium was new to me!)

Right now, platinum is $1223/ozt, palladium is $777/ozt, and rhodium is $1145/ozt.

A troy ounce is 31 grams ... so if a cat has a couple grams of each in it, melt value is easily $200. Knock off the cost of refining and I can see a scrap yard paying $75-100/cat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Platinum, palladium, and rhodium. (thanks Wiki. Knew the first two, rhodium was new to me!)

Right now, platinum is $1223/ozt, palladium is $777/ozt, and rhodium is $1145/ozt.

A troy ounce is 31 grams ... so if a cat has a couple grams of each in it, melt value is easily $200. Knock off the cost of refining and I can see a scrap yard paying $75-100/cat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Platinum in the cats?

J-

Damn where's my sawzall at. Lol

J-
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

J-
View Quote

Around here they only allow you to scrap one a day and the get a copy of your DL and take your photo.

It's also felony theft.................

The dealerships have been stamping vins in cats.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Around here they only allow you to scrap one a day and the get a copy of your DL and take your photo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Which is likely why thefts have dropped off there. When you make crime difficult it drops off. Good on the dealers!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

They do that around here too, but I work 30 minutes outside of Detroit, so you could back up a dump truck full of Cats and tell em you name is Donald Duck and you would be GTG.

J-
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]
We have been dealing with this for several years too. Dodges seem to be the biggest targets as well.

MPD165
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:30:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Cordless sawzalls and shady scrappers.  Attack it at the point of sale.  Make business with thieves unprofitable and they will move to the next scam.
When they start collecting DL's, plates, and photos of sellers and trucks it can help to slow it down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:52:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I replaced the exhaust on my 2005 Magnum with a new system (headers, cats, mufflers). I kept all the old stuff in case I wanted to go back to stock. After I sold the car I took the old exhaust - which only had about 5,000 miles on it- to a scrap yard. They looked at me like I was crook.  I got 50$ for the cats.

Yeah - CSB.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cordless sawzalls and shady scrappers.  Attack it at the point of sale.  Make business with thieves unprofitable and they will move to the next scam.
When they start collecting DL's, plates, and photos of sellers and trucks it can help to slow it down.
View Quote

that may work in certain areas but not in others. When the scrap yards are shady too, there is no point at which to attack. see my above post ref where I work.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top