Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2015 10:12:57 AM EDT
How much leave is a reservist entitled to? Assuming they are not deployed, is it unlimited or are there limits on it? Can you sign up for "extra" training and still be excused from work? I tried looking it up but couldn't find a simple answer. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a reservist and also full time LE.  

Some of the specifics of amount of paid time off for military leave may vary by state.  

In my state, government entities (local and state) are required to provide 120 hours of paid military leave per year.  If you have to be gone more than that, then you take it as unpaid (unless you have vacation or comp time you want to use).  

Research USERRA.  Under USERRA, you can be gone on orders for up to 5 years IIRC and your employer has to hold your job for you.  Also, if you need to go on military orders or drills, your employer MUST allow you the time off.  Now, in my unit, some of the members sometimes have training that comes up that they have to go to in order to progress in their civilian jobs and sometimes, it conflicts with the drill schedule.  In that case, we reschedule them for their scheduled military drills so that they can attend the necessary training.  

While USERRA protects the servicemember, in my unit, the CO and I (I'm the 1st Sgt) both believe in being "good neighbors" with our troops' civilian employers.  Since they allow the servicemembers to attend drills (yes they are required to but.....) we do our best to accommodate them when they need their employee to go to training.

Again, it will vary.  I have a friend who works for a different department than me and they provide him with paid leave for every military training event that he must attend.  So, he gets WELL over the 120 hours mandated by the state.  But, that's a department decision....not a law.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly it really depends on how your unit is run and what their relationship with your employer is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
We had IIRC 28 days a year
It was enough for a 2 week AT and 11 months of MUTA 4s
If you got sent to an additional school or had a bunch of MUTA 7s or 8s leading up to a  deployment you'd have to dip into other benefit time to cover those days off
I'd still get the time off if it was on orders, regardless.
After year 5 in the Guard I ran out of military leave every year, but since I typically have almost two years of leave time in my bank it was never an issue
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Sort of same lane designation:
Potential hires for depts; how does your dept handle the case of viable candidates who are assigned NCOES, orders, deployments? I've got a slot for school slated in July and I'd prefer to keep everybody in the loop just a working courtesy but I'm not sure who I would contact.
Passed my written,  but haven't  taken a POST follow up: physical, PFT etc.

The last time I had this happen, I was enroute to BCT.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sort of same lane designation:
Potential hires for depts; how does your dept handle the case of viable candidates who are assigned NCOES, orders, deployments? I've got a slot for school slated in July and I'd prefer to keep everybody in the loop just a working courtesy but I'm not sure who I would contact.
Passed my written,  but haven't  taken a POST follow up: physical, PFT etc.

The last time I had this happen, I was enroute to BCT.
View Quote

Guys not hired who are in the chute for deployments?
I think you're screwed
No department is going to hire a guy who'll be away for a year as soon as he is hired
They'll find some way to get around you even though they can't use your military service as the reason for declining you
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Fed Leo's get 15 paid days per year for reserve duty. Use em or lose em...

If you get activated and deployed to a war zone, they will pay the difference between your normal Fed salary and what the reserve pays you for active duty. But not if you are activated and sent to somewhere like Germany...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]
NY has 30 days paid mil leave a year. After that you have to use your vacation or go unpaid. If you are activated and deployed state will pay the difference in pay with housing included.

They can't deny you anything if you walk in with orders but if you are over the 30 days then you aren't getting paid leave unless you use your own. We have a guy who is an O-6 in the Coast Guard reserve and he is usually gone 1/3 of the year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How much leave is a reservist entitled to? Assuming they are not deployed, is it unlimited or are there limits on it? Can you sign up for "extra" training and still be excused from work? I tried looking it up but couldn't find a simple answer. Thanks
View Quote

My company will grant you up to 5 years military leave over a 10 year period. I forget if USERRA states a specific amount of time too, but you can look there. USERRA trumps company policy (though I'm sure exceptions exist).
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I get 120 working hours.  After that I have to use vacation time or trade days with somone.

When I deployed, I burned my vacation time down during my first month or so after Mob-Up, then went to unpaid status.  My retirement clock kept rolling and I still earned vacation and holiday time at the normal pace.  When I came back to work, I had to work one 2-week pay period, then BOOM all that vacation time hit my books.  I went home one day with 0 hours of vacation time stacked and came in the next morning with 218 hours.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I get 120 working hours.  After that I have to use vacation time or trade days with somone.
View Quote

120 hrs doesn't even cover a 2 wk AT and 11 months of MUTA 4s
Better than nothing, I suppose
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I get 88 hours a year of paid military time. It doesn't come close to being enough to cover all my drills and AT obviously. It also doesn't help that I don't regularly have weekends off.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a desk pogue for now.  It works out to 15 working days, or a 3 week AT since I usually have weekends off.  The last year that I was completely part-time before the deployment I used all of it and maybe two more days of vacation due to 6's and a short class I got voluntordered to.

I ETS in 5 months.  I am using every last minute of it this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top