Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2015 7:09:17 PM EDT
I'm looking to get more training under my belt and be an instructor I have been at my current department for 4 years and put in over 20+ request for training and have only been sent to evidence training because no one else wanted it. I just got back from Taser instructor training that I payed for out of my own pocket and I'm now looking for other options and classes I can send myself to. I have looked up some classes on the internet but there are so many out there I'm not sure what one is worth going to. Right now looking at   Use of force instructor training / DT  instructor training for the DT I do like the Krav Maga as it seems close to the other DT training I have been give. Use of Force I'm not sure and really looking for advice on all of it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but as for firearms/defensive use of, I can vouch for Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Roger Phillips, Chris Costa, Don Robison, Dr. John Meade, and Gabe Suarez and his affiliated instructors.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking to get more training under my belt and be an instructor I have been at my current department for 4 years and put in over 20+ request for training and have only been sent to evidence training because no one else wanted it. I just got back from Taser instructor training that I payed for out of my own pocket and I'm now looking for other options and classes I can send myself to. I have looked up some classes on the internet but there are so many out there I'm not sure what one is worth going to. Right now looking at   Use of force instructor training / DT  instructor training for the DT I do like the Krav Maga as it seems close to the other DT training I have been give. Use of Force I'm not sure and really looking for advice on all of it. Thanks!
View Quote

Kinda depends on the system your dept uses. Sorta senseless to get a Krav Maga Instructor Cert if your dept used PPCT, unless you dont care about training your dept co-workers. Also I wouldnt pay for ANY intructor school out of pocket especially is I did not have it in writing from the Dept that upon completion of the Instructor school you would be part of the Dept's instructor cadre.

I can tell you at our dept you would not be a Dept instructor just because you paid for the class yourself. Thats "buying" a position and is not taken kindly by most. BTW I'm the head of my Dept's Use of Force Training Cadre (PPCT, Taser, Firearms) and supervise 15 instructors in the various fields.

If you are just looking to get more training for yourself to be a better/safer cop then there is no need to be an Instructor, just take practitioner level classes and same some coin.

J-
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kinda depends on the system your dept uses. Sorta senseless to get a Krav Maga Instructor Cert if your dept used PPCT, unless you dont care about training your dept co-workers. Also I wouldnt pay for ANY intructor school out of pocket especially is I did not have it in writing from the Dept that upon completion of the Instructor school you would be part of the Dept's instructor cadre.

I can tell you at our dept you would not be a Dept instructor just because you paid for the class yourself. Thats "buying" a position and is not taken kindly by most. BTW I'm the head of my Dept's Use of Force Training Cadre (PPCT, Taser, Firearms) and supervise 15 instructors in the various fields.

If you are just looking to get more training for yourself to be a better/safer cop then there is no need to be an Instructor, just take practitioner level classes and same some coin.

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

If one of your officers was to send himself/herself to an instructor course and it would cause your department instructors to "not take kindly to it".....then you must have some very insecure instructors.  

Of course, going to an instructor course is no guarantee of an instructor position, but if department instructors were nervous about an officer going to an instructor level school on his/her own dime for whatever reason, then those instructors should be shitcanned because they probably should not be in that position.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If one of your officers was to send himself/herself to an instructor course and it would cause your department instructors to "not take kindly to it".....then you must have some very insecure instructors.  

Of course, going to an instructor course is no guarantee of an instructor position, but if department instructors were nervous about an officer going to an instructor level school on his/her own dime for whatever reason, then those instructors should be shitcanned because they probably should not be in that position.  

View Quote

Nothing to do with insecurity. We have a very rigorous selection process and probation period for instructors, FTO's etc to ensure that the right person and right type of person is chosen. Just because you have $ to pay for a class does not an instructor make. I'm sure there are not to many dept's and/or officers out there who would agree that "buying" a position is a positive thing.

Positions like these need to be viewed as a "promotion" so to speak, in that the best person needs to be tapped for the spot. People who send themselves to some kind of a supervisor training should not be able to return to the Dept as a Sgt, should they?

J-
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Op I'm not sure about your state, but does whatever entity in your state that regulates LE training have a standard in place for vetting DT instructors and what training the state will accept towards instructor certification?
That might be a good place to start.

edit:

I took a couple of classes with this guy

http://www.modernwarrior.com/law-enforcement-courses.php

Years ago they had a program where they had some donated money where they'd take in a limited number of students on a scholarship
The site doesn't say anything about that so maybe you'd have to ask
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nothing to do with insecurity. We have a very rigorous selection process and probation period for instructors, FTO's etc to ensure that the right person and right type of person is chosen. Just because you have $ to pay for a class does not an instructor make. I'm sure there are not to many dept's and/or officers out there who would agree that "buying" a position is a positive thing.

Positions like these need to be viewed as a "promotion" so to speak, in that the best person needs to be tapped for the spot. People who send themselves to some kind of a supervisor training should not be able to return to the Dept as a Sgt, should they?

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Reading is fundamental. Reading comprehension is even more critical.  

"Rigorous selection process" or good old boy network?  If there is truly a rigorous selection process, then your instructors wouldn't be concerned with someone in the department sending themselves to any sort of instructor training....for whatever reason.

While it certainly doesn't apply to every instructor in every department, there certainly is some truth to the old saying that "those who can do...those who can't...teach"
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"Rigorous selection process" or good old boy network?  If there is truly a rigorous selection process, then your instructors wouldn't be concerned with someone in the department sending themselves to any sort of instructor training....for whatever reason.

While it certainly doesn't apply to every instructor in every department, there certainly is some truth to the old saying that "those who can do...those who can't...teach"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Lol. Since we're throwing out cliches, "opinions are like assholes, everybodies got one."
J-
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lol. Since we're throwing out cliches, "opinions are like assholes, everybodies got one."
J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

I guess we know what kind of instructors your department has.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be careful about going off and getting "USE OF FORCE" and "DT" type training and coming back to the agency and teaching it... those topics generally have ALREADY established standards/curriculum that an instructor should not go outside of for liability reasons.  Altering, adding to, or omitting established teaching/learning standards of such courses is a slippery slope.  

What certifying credentials do you hold?  What entity/certifying body provides the training curriculum and establishes the standards for the topics you wan to become an instructor in?  That is the only place I'd look to for instructor credentials concerning those specific topics.

Keep in mind... I'm speaking strictly of USE OF FORCE and DEFENSIVE TACTICS policy and guidelines as established by what ever certifying entity you hold credentials form, not other classes such as marksmanship or basic tactics and such.  These are high liability topics that I'm sure already have established lesson plans and teaching points... I would use great caution in augmenting already established lesson plans in these areas without some type of official documented approval.  In short, should something bad happen involving a "student"... they will be asked "where did you learn that"? and the next question will be "is that part of the state/government approved academy curriculum"?

Some of you will disagree with this... that's fine... but I think it's worthy of consideration.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

Lmao

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Gracie combatives was a great program I believe the GST would be perfect
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd be careful about going off and getting "USE OF FORCE" and "DT" type training and coming back to the agency and teaching it... those topics generally have ALREADY established standards/curriculum that an instructor should not go outside of for liability reasons.  Altering, adding to, or omitting established teaching/learning standards of such courses is a slippery slope.  

What certifying credentials do you hold?  What entity/certifying body provides the training curriculum and establishes the standards for the topics you wan to become an instructor in?  That is the only place I'd look to for instructor credentials concerning those specific topics.

Keep in mind... I'm speaking strictly of USE OF FORCE and DEFENSIVE TACTICS policy and guidelines as established by what ever certifying entity you hold credentials form, not other classes such as marksmanship or basic tactics and such.  These are high liability topics that I'm sure already have established lesson plans and teaching points... I would use great caution in augmenting already established lesson plans in these areas without some type of official documented approval.  In short, should something bad happen involving a "student"... they will be asked "where did you learn that"? and the next question will be "is that part of the state/government approved academy curriculum"?

Some of you will disagree with this... that's fine... but I think it's worthy of consideration.

View Quote

I hear what you are saying I'm just trying to take classes to make myself more marketable at the agency I'm at I know I'm not going to be able to teach anyone no matter what I'll get into that later. I'm so far after 4 years only officer that has never used my taser, baton or OC been all hands on for me and I'm in a busy area working on an Indian Reservation. I'm wanting to be able to learn more hand to hand fighting yes this is for mostly myself and my safety as that is the only person that matters(Long story want to know IM me.)

I love hand to hand and find myself going to my old USMC training when I get into hand to hand because it works and I have used it on the battle field in Iraq and the streets there are many thing I learned being a COP that I use also just another tool in the bag.  Send you an IM!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I hear that the Dallas PD academy has some good training.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I bet people hate to read your reports Tayous1.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't write your reports in stream of consciousness?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#22]
He's an Army of one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:51:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:14:35 AM EDT
[#25]
All my instructor training came from the department. They won't accept outside certificates except to enhance your personal skills and I can't teach anything outside of department approved techniques.

Not that it matters much, training is pretty much nonexistent except for bi annual quals and yearly recert.

I'm more of a functionary than I am a trainer.

But they set me to almost every instructor school.....Firearms, Taser, DT, active shooter, FROLAW, CPR, First Responder.........I'm an overly educated do nothing monkey.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#26]
How do you ever find time to go to training with all the court time you must have?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

They might! So troll might I ask you this!

Dallas have a top secret clearance to get in?

Can Dallas police officer fly any flight in the USA and carry there weapon?

Can A Dallas police officer arrest people from outside Dallas or the state of Texas?

Does any officer make $100K a year working at Dallas PD as a patrol officer?

Answer is no troll! I messed up at Dallas PD in the past I asked a fellow officer WTF there problem was when he said something about family!I'm so glade I'm out of Dallas where all they care about is how many of what color and race they have not how many good officers they have! I'm not in the best place in the world but I can get to a better place! Little men like you I would love to meet and see how big you are when you don't have a key board in front of you!

Let me put this challenge out to you to come do my job with all I have! No back up for 30+ miles working an area larger then some eastern states alone! In an area were 99% of your calls are people on drugs or intoxicated. How about you work a case from being called by dispatch to Federal court! Bet you could not do this! Anyone up for the challenge please IM me and we can get it set up!

Also Jace please unless you have the balls to say what you say to my face don't post it! If you want to prove me wrong please IM me and I will be more then happy to let you come out to my life that is if you can take it! Open today 03/01/15 will you take the  challenge?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How about you work a case from being called by dispatch to Federal court!
View Quote

So easy a BIA Officer can do it.

It's no wonder you can't get an 1811 spot, hope that Mint Police gig works out for you.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's no wonder you can't get an 1811 spot, hope that Mint Police gig works out for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about you work a case from being called by dispatch to Federal court!

Hey man, the Mint Police are the tip of the spear.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Can A Dallas police officer arrest people from outside Dallas or the state of Texas?

Answer is no troll! I messed up at Dallas PD in the past I asked a fellow officer WTF there problem was when he said something about family!I'm so glade I'm out of Dallas where all they care about is how many of what color and race they have not how many good officers they have! I'm not in the best place in the world but I can get to a better place! Little men like you I would love to meet and see how big you are when you don't have a key board in front of you!

Let me put this challenge out to you to come do my job with all I have! No back up for 30+ miles working an area larger then some eastern states alone! In an area were 99% of your calls are people on drugs or intoxicated. How about you work a case from being called by dispatch to Federal court! Bet you could not do this! Anyone up for the challenge please IM me and we can get it set up!

Also Jace please unless you have the balls to say what you say to my face don't post it! If you want to prove me wrong please IM me and I will be more then happy to let you come out to my life that is if you can take it! Open today 03/01/15 will you take the  challenge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Answer is no comma troll! I messed up at Dallas PD in the past I asked a fellow officer WTF there problem was when he said something about family!I'm so glade I'm out of Dallas where all they care about is how many of what color and race they have not how many good officers they have!WTF  I'm not in the best place in the world but I can get to a better place!WTF Little men like you I would love to meet and see how big you are when you don't have a key board in front of you!

Let me put this challenge out to you to come do my job with all I have! No back up for 30+ miles comma working an area larger then some eastern states alone! In an area were 99% of your calls are people on drugs or intoxicated. How about you work a case from being called by dispatch to Federal court! Bet you could not do this! Anyone up for the challenge please IM me and we can get it set up!

Also comma Jace comma please comma unless you have the balls to say what you say to my face comma don't post it! If you want to prove me wrong please IM me and I will be more then happy to let you come out to my life that is if you can take it!WTF Open today 03/01/15 will you take the  challenge?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer is no comma troll! I messed up at Dallas PD in the past I asked a fellow officer WTF there problem was when he said something about family!I'm so glade I'm out of Dallas where all they care about is how many of what color and race they have not how many good officers they have!WTF  I'm not in the best place in the world but I can get to a better place!WTF Little men like you I would love to meet and see how big you are when you don't have a key board in front of you!

Let me put this challenge out to you to come do my job with all I have! No back up for 30+ miles comma working an area larger then some eastern states alone! In an area were 99% of your calls are people on drugs or intoxicated. How about you work a case from being called by dispatch to Federal court! Bet you could not do this! Anyone up for the challenge please IM me and we can get it set up!

Also comma Jace comma please comma unless you have the balls to say what you say to my face comma don't post it! If you want to prove me wrong please IM me and I will be more then happy to let you come out to my life that is if you can take it!WTF Open today 03/01/15 will you take the  challenge?

Everything you write reads like a Nigerian business offer. I'd eat my stapler if I received any reports like this from my staff.  Please tell me you are a product of ESL?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Everything you write reads like a Nigerian business offer. I'd eat my stapler if I received any reports like this from my staff.  Please tell me you are a product of ESL?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  Holy crap OP, you need to drop your posts into a Word document and hit spellcheck.  MY spelling and grammar OCD is in overdrive looking at your fucked up posts.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Seriously, this would be the best $8 you can spend today. Skip the fast food, buy this, and study it.

Amazon Link
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I am far from being a little man.  Those who know me on here know just how "little" I am. I also would tell you to your face exactly everything I say here.  I would love to take a trip out to you, but I don't make a $100k a year like you.  I'm just a little ol' city pd officer with nothing to do but worry about what pen I'm going to use on my next citation.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't make a $100k a year like you.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=76&t=1634425
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't make a $100k a year like you.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=76&t=1634425

I'm sure it's all the overtime from all the federal court cases.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIA officers make 100K a year,where is this job at!

Why would a BIA officer need a TS clearance?

Not saying it is not true, but this does not make any sense.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it odd that the job posting for BIA that YOU posted a while back shows the pay at roughly half of what you are boasting, and with a different security level clearance..... So is the job posting incorrect or are you just full of shit?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I call BS. I'm betting the closest you've ever been to a TS clearance, $100k salary, and flying armed is when you've stood next to an FBI SA who had to take a case from you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, stop. Just stop. Instead of trying to become a UoF or DT instructor, maybe you should take an English class and then join us back on planet earth.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:14:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Um jus glade I hade the upertoonity to be heer fer thees.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:How about you work a case from being called by dispatch to Federal court!
View Quote

BTDT.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I guess the OP's 100k per year wasn't enough

Link
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I guess the OP's 100k per year wasn't enough

Link
View Quote

Maybe it is because you guys are railroading him?

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#47]
hoo boy did this get derailed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top