Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2015 12:44:00 AM EDT
What books are out there that are usually considered recommended reading for LE or more specifcally CO's?  Going through the process with a local agency for the jail and figured anything would help.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I have absolutely no desire to take sick old people to the hospital all day. I always give the fire crews a hard time when they come in. "when was the last time you actual fought a fire"? One guy has been on the job 5 years and other than training, he has never had to fight a fire. They are glorified taxi drivers with a pass to the back door of the hospital.  If I wanted to do that, I would have gone to nursing school.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have absolutely no desire to take sick old people to the hospital all day. I always give the fire crews a hard time when they come in. "when was the last time you actual fought a fire"? One guy has been on the job 5 years and other than training, he has never had to fight a fire. They are glorified taxi drivers with a pass to the back door of the hospital.  If I wanted to do that, I would have gone to nursing school.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol.. I just blew tea out of my nose.

All firefighters want to be cops when they grow up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
This will date me, but this was a popular book in my time:

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:54:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Do the firefighter thing.

Eat lots of food, get paid to sleep.

Oh and if there's a fire you can dump a bunch of water on someone's already totaled house and they'll thank you for it. Oh and they won't say anything about hands up don't shoot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Read every LEO thread in GD, they are full of expert advice.

Or read The Tactical Edge as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:06:24 AM EDT
[#7]
and you can pay for all your tactical firearms classes with your other full time job.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Just ordered both of those.  There is another one about patrolling that I think is part of the series.  they want a mint for the damn thing!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#9]

yep those were mandatory back in the day, still good into too.

J-
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#10]
On Combat by Grossman

Required during the academy. Still applies in the jail.  When dealing with shitheads acting and being tough you still got to be cool, level headed, in control to get done what has to be done.

Just had to OC a gang banger from prison in our jail for an upcoming court date. By the time he was out of the shower he was apologizing to me for trying to bluff me. I couldn't talk him out of an OC'ing but could talk him into an apology.

7mm

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Yup
Have that series sitting on my shelf
Since Op will be working in a  correctional setting he might want to watch Surviving Edged Weapons

Bronze, you wont have all the tools we have on the street
Your biggest assets inside will be your rep and your brain
If the inmates see you as a push over, they'll exploit you every chance they get
Be firm fair and consistent
Don't play favorites in the inmates and be able to back up your actions to inmates and administrators

I worked as a CO for 7 years before I went to the road
Yeah that's a long time. Short story was I got caught up in a job title lawsuit and they had to get the old job title guys out of the jail before they would promote any of us newer guys to the road.
I could always tell the inmates yes or no and what section of the book I was basing my answer on.
They also hated me for it. At one point I was walking around with a ten carton price on my head because the inmate in question hated me so much

I also learned how to use my head and how to employ anger management in that setting, which is why I think working Corrections should be a starting point for more officers
If the inmates see that something they say or do gets under your skin, they'll keep burrowing at what they see as a weak spot
Learn a little verbal judo. I know it's a dated term, but it still merits mention
IPC. Interpersonal communication skills. Learn them, use them, let the stupid stuff you hear wash off you like water off a ducks back.
Don't do what I did my first month and walk into a block and in the course of conversation tell the entire block they're a bunch of welfare rejects and oxygen thieves.
I just about started a riot because criminals don't want to hear they're lowlife reject criminals
Think it to yourself and smile at the retards.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#12]
On Killing by Lt. Col. Grossman

Ive heard emotional survival for law enforcement is a must read for anyone in LE but I havent gotten around to it yet
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#13]
The Onion Field.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Almost every FDNY class is half guys who bailed from PDs to join.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]

I had those as well as their "Tactics For Criminal Patrol".
Arfcommer runcible gave them to me back when I was a rookie when he left for the FD.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1594608547/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/192-0866299-1529647

This book sums up everything you will learn about constitutional law and use of force in a very readable format.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Emotional Survival For Law Enforcement

This explains why every relationship you have (family, friends, spouse, kids, etc) will change with an LE career and how not to mess it all up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Emotional Survival For Law Enforcement

This explains why every relationship you have (family, friends, spouse, kids, etc) will change with an LE career and how not to mess it all up.
View Quote
I've been through 3 different academies and they gave out this book in each of them.  It's just as important as learning the law.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Still have my copies of these from the academy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
On Combat by Grossman

Required during the academy. Still applies in the jail.  When dealing with shitheads acting and being tough you still got to be cool, level headed, in control to get done what has to be done.

Just had to OC a gang banger from prison in our jail for an upcoming court date. By the time he was out of the shower he was apologizing to me for trying to bluff me. I couldn't talk him out of an OC'ing but could talk him into an apology.

7mm

View Quote

This. On Combat was a great read.  The Calibre Press books are good but a little dated.  Although you never know when you may have to perform a speed reload from a dump pouch on your wheel gun
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Came here to post exactly this.  They may be old but they are still very valuable and the content is still relevant.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Can't believe nobody posted this one yet.

US Constitution
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
.  Although you never know when you may have to perform a speed reload from a dump pouch on your wheel gun
View Quote

The tools change but the basics never seem to.

'Small Wars' is on the USMC required reading list and it was written in the 30s, the pre-Garand days. They make references to Springfields, BARs, 1911s etc but if you mentally update the equipment the book makes just as much sense as it did the day it was written.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

On Combat by Lt. Col. Grossman

Ive heard emotional survival for law enforcement is a must read for anyone in LE but I havent gotten around to it yet
View Quote

agree with all three of these as well
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the smart half. The other half stays at the PD's for a lifetime of work stress, time away from family, crap pay and constant extra jobs, drinking problems and divorce, frivolous lawsuits, etc. etc....
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the best fiction books about prison ... and that is quite different from jail ... is
"Stone City" by Mitchell Smith.

I also 2nd Grossman's books "On Combat" and "On Killing"

Stay safe

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#29]
This has helped me over the years at work and in my personal life.

Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Along the lines of Grossman's books, Klinger's "Into the Kill Zone" is also quite good.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top