BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This sums it up perfectly!  (12 years OTJ)

ETA:  Its not the job it used to be, I will go ahead and say that.  I am part time now.  Left for a desk job and LOVE it!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well at least your honest; in my day everybody wanted to be a cop to "help  people". Just know it is 90% boredom, 10% terror and 100% paperwork. (37 yrs experience)

ETA:  Its not the job it used to be, I will go ahead and say that.  I am part time now.  Left for a desk job and LOVE it!!!

Where are you guys working that you are spendj ng that much time bored? In my parts you are as bored as you let yourself be. If you are proactive you will never have any down time... hell even uniform patrol stays busy. The paperwork thing is correct though. I think thats where alot of guys get "bored" its more important to some people to go home 15-30mins early than to make a big case that will keep them an hour over. The job, for the most part, is what you make it
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Where are you guys working that you are spendj ng that much time bored? In my parts you are as bored as you let yourself be. If you are proactive you will never have any down time... hell even uniform patrol stays busy. The paperwork thing is correct though. I think thats where alot of guys get "bored" its more important to some people to go home 15-30mins early than to make a big case that will keep them an hour over. The job, for the most part, is what you make it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well at least your honest; in my day everybody wanted to be a cop to "help  people". Just know it is 90% boredom, 10% terror and 100% paperwork. (37 yrs experience)

Rural Alabama.  There are times I will go an hour or more without seeing a vehicle late at night depending what area of the county I am in.  I have worked for a busier agency and have been plenty proactive.  I chose to leave full-time LE because I wanted to save my family.  How long have you been on the job?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Rural Alabama.  There are times I will go an hour or more without seeing a vehicle late at night depending what area of the county I am in.  I have worked for a busier agency and have been plenty proactive.  I chose to leave full-time LE because I wanted to save my family.  How long have you been on the job?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 years
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

6 years
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 years

Cool!  I hope you don't end up jaded like so many of us.  Rather than become retired on duty and possibly end up divorced for the second time I chose to leave.  I still get my "fix" a few nights a month, but I don't care to ever depend on it to put food on the table again.  The pay, hours, and politics suck ass.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Ohh the burn out definately sets in now and again. Im fortunate to have been presented opportunities to work in special operations and my dept. Has plenty of different units and specialties which has kept things fun. Along with being a very busy area. Top that with an awesome and very understanding wife and hopefully I can ride it out lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
<snip>

ETA:  Forgot to add, but already mentioned by others. How much do you like doing lots and lots of paperwork?
        After a year or so, you can create a template for your common calls. Just change the name, date, time, and location. You can probably use the same generic narrative too.
       Or you can just create a "new" report every time to keep things more "exciting".

View Quote

Try that shit around here and see what happens. A savvy criminal defense attorney will have your ass in a sling. Lawyers in your area must not be too damn smart.

A guy here was arrested for DUI (Grady Judd's territory) and the case dismissed. Why was the defendants case dismissed?

The attorney noticed that the arrest report was identical to or very similar to some of the Deputy's other arrest reports from prior cases. The attorney then filed motions and appeals for the Deputies old cases. I do not know the outcome of those cases but there was a big stink about it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Try that shit around here and see what happens. A savvy criminal defense attorney will have your ass in a sling. Lawyers in your area must not be too damn smart.

A guy here was arrested for DUI (Grady Judd's territory) and the case dismissed. Why was the defendants case dismissed?

The attorney noticed that the arrest report was identical to or very similar to some of the Deputy's other arrest reports from prior cases. The attorney then filed motions and appeals for the Deputies old cases. I do not know the outcome of those cases but there was a big stink about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

ETA:  Forgot to add, but already mentioned by others. How much do you like doing lots and lots of paperwork?
        After a year or so, you can create a template for your common calls. Just change the name, date, time, and location. You can probably use the same generic narrative too.
       Or you can just create a "new" report every time to keep things more "exciting".

I should edit to add that I thought I  was in GD. Sorry guys. The post was right on but if out of line here please let me know and I'll delete it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:47:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I should edit to add that I thought I  was in GD. Sorry guys. The post was right on but if out of line here please let me know and I'll delete it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

It's fine.  You are correct.  

It's ok to use a template....but you still can't get lazy.  Each report MUST stand on its own merits.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Wasn't too worried about gasoline drive offs with no suspects, shoplifting with no suspects, and other misdemeanors with no suspects, physical evidence, and just about zero percent probability of being solved.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got fed up with the whole desk job thing too. I see that your from TX. The border patrol just opened up hiring if that interests you plus you can get stationed in your home state.
View Quote

Be prepared, at least a couple of years to go through the process, but there is quite a bit of $ involved.

Also, as with any LEO job, plenty of BS to go around for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
In this day & age, even here in the South, id advise against it......more and more people are looking to ruin cop's careers or flat out kill them. Too much risk and liability. Us hose jockies arent far behind.

Either way, good luck to you and be safe.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the "I want to be a cop" moment about a year ago. Around my 30th birthday. I chose to apply as a reserve officer for the local SO and a local PD. Almost a year later and I'm waiting on a confirmed date to begin the class for cert. I've been doing ride-alongs 20 hours a month since late summer. My experience is very limited but I would suggest trying to get in some rides before you go head first. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the biggest down side to the job is the affect on your family. When I started I was single. It took about 8 months to get a regular shift. I was the fill in guy for guys on vacation ,sick etc.
when I did get married and had a regular shift we only got two weekends off every 13 weeks. The second one we had to come in on Sunday over Monday (12-8)
My department had three shifts 8hr each we rotated every week. I was working in construction on the 3-11 and 11-7 shifts. Rotating every week you never can get used to any shift. You have to accept the fact that most of the holidays and weekends you will be working. Once you have kids it becomes even harder.
I don't know where you live but In NJ there are two types of departments one uses Civil Service tests(State run) and the other a Chief's test.
There are good and bad about both. The departments that use Civil Service, the officer has more back up in case of a problem (Reviewed by Civil Service).
You can't be fired for no reason.
The departments that use a Chief's test you can be let go for no reason at all.
The other thing is in a Civil Service dept you just can't change departments you have to retake a Civil Service test (it could take two or more years to make a change)
Remember in the military you can request a transfer if you don't like where you are, not so easy in LE.
The other posters are right on about the paper work and the BS calls, also be ready for a lot of political interference, and unless you are trying to save someones life or their children’s you are POS.
I enjoyed the time I was there and the guys I worked with(most of the time)
But I decided to leave and start my own business. (got divorced any way). I can come and go as I please, if I wanted a day off I could take it. But that rout takes a lot effort and discipline as well.
Good luck
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nothing against the profession, but I have absolutely zero interest in firefighting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suggest that you might want to consider firefighting instead.

Police work is 99% BS and 1% excitement.

Nothing against the profession, but I have absolutely zero interest in firefighting.

Which is fine, because they do very little of that.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What do I need to know?

I've come to the realization that I hate life behind a desk. I completely understand that while there is a TON of BS LEOs have to put up with, I think I need a job that brings me some level of excitement and rush. Am I wrong to be drawn to this profession because of that?

Pros/cons?
View Quote

You better want something more, because that part in red wears off quickly.  All of it wears off quickly.  What doesn't wear off is the paycheck.  Go where the pay is the best for the area.  In TX, that probably means the cities, because the South usually doesn't pay worth a damn.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a desk job, but my desk has a steering wheel and a laptop.

Do it.  Even if you end up not liking it, it's unlike anything else out there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suggest that you might want to consider firefighting instead.

Police work is 99% BS and 1% excitement.

Whenever I stop by, the firefighters are always eating, sleeping, or watching TV.  I picked the wrong job.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I've only read the OP, but as far as "excitement and rush", LE tends to be 99% boredom and 1% adrenaline
It is a plus in that you get out of the office and are pretty much self-directed.
If you have half a county to roam in it is better than if you're trapped inside a small village driving the same 2 square mile patrol zone
No two days at work are the same, but you'll run into the same 1% of the population throughout your career you'll feel like you're starring in Groundhog Day
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top