Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 3:31:27 PM EDT
I'll keep this kinda vague for discretion-

Full time LEO; I was injured on the job, disk damage in lumbar and neck. Doctors could not give 100% certainty that I would return to active duty within 12 months. Subsequently I was put off on an early medical/disability retirement 3 years ago- with only 18 months short of my 20.  
Neck was fixed with a plate, and fully healed and recovered from that. Then 4 months ago I found a great surgeon who repaired L5/S1. He said he has done other officers and firefighters over the years who were off on injured leave and went back to work after recovery.

I have high hopes that at the 6 month post-op mark, my surgeon is going to declare me 'fixed', and will sign off on me doing active duty police work. I've already talked to FOP and they are optimistic as well. I have prayed about this for the last 3 years. My biggest hurdle will be the state retirement medical review board agreeing that I am no longer 'disabled' and allowing me to return.

We have had several officers seek early medical retirement due to 'stress', minor injuries, etc, you know the type- the ones who work harder to get out of doing any work than the work itself. I'm not that guy. I hate being declared 'disabled' and told I can't work. I want nothing more than to go back and put in as many more years as the God Lord grants me the ability to do so.

Any other officers go through anything similar?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't say that I have, I was injured, surgery, and 6 months of therapy, then back to work.  Injured again 7 years later due to a training accident, no surgery needed, just 3 weeks out, 3 weeks light duty, then back to work.

I wish you the best of luck, and check with the FOP on a re-certification class as well, or if you would or would not have to attend an academy again based on your state certification requirements.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quite normal to go back to work. I lost track how many I know, including myself, that has returned to work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't say that I have, I was injured, surgery, and 6 months of therapy, then back to work.  Injured again 7 years later due to a training accident, no surgery needed, just 3 weeks out, 3 weeks light duty, then back to work.

I wish you the best of luck, and check with the FOP on a re-certification class as well, or if you would or would not have to attend an academy again based on your state certification requirements.
View Quote

thanks, State Certification never expires for Ky, so I'm good to go there. I would have to catch up on 40 hour in service for each year gone, plus NCIC, LINK, firearms, CPR/first aid, legal updates and policy revisions...a few weeks catching up on all that, no biggie.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
C5 C6 removed ten years ago
Probably should have the lower back looked at but I haven't
I'm still working
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I had two spine surgeries in the past 3 years, due to a massive 3 car wreck in which my cruiser and another was totaled. The workmans comp doc fucked me up so bad there was no returning to work for me. If your going to do it, get the best surgeon and rehab that you can. I applaud your actions and determination. I wish I could have my life back, you may still have a chance if you put your head 100% in the game and make that your goal.
Just make sure you can do what it takes to do the job. Don't put yourself or anyone else (your partner) in a bad spot because physically you cant and you really thought you could. Only you will know that. Good luck. Happy holidays
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I did in June. One vertebrae gone...or that was his words. Remaining were bulging etc.  C3-C5.  Had the fusion/cage.  6 weeks later began working out.  By the time Fergistan happened I was able to perform all necessary tasks.  I have been told the higher the easier, don't know.  I went in because for years I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome.  Then my hands went completely numb after wrestling with a knucklehead. As in could not feel my finger tips.  Horrible pain in right shoulder. MRI showed extensive damage to spine and a bruise to the cord.  I had immediate relief after surgery.  My Chief, who also had it told me this:  don't get it till you need it and then get it as quick as you can.  They did find quite a bit of damage when they went in; a 45 minute surgery took 3 hours but I didn't even have to wear a C collar afterwards

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
If you had lumbar damage, you may have to be mindful of low back problems when you put that gun belt with all the weight back on again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck to you. Prayers out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#9]
YUP
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I will preface this with the standard non-LEO disclaimer...

I had an 11mm x 13mm herniation removed at L5-S1 in early June, my only regret was not doing it earlier.  When the disc let go it hurt so bad I couldn't stand up -  much less relax enough to take a piss - until getting pain killers and a dose of steriods injected into the nearest butt cheek at the ER.

My line of work was fairly physical until moving into a different role recently, mind you not to the level you see with lives on the line.

Just be careful, the disc material is gone forever and the repaired area is at the bottom where it bears more weight/strees, especially when stooped/bending.

If you'd be comfortable working with you, then go balls to the wall and don't look back
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
My low back surgery history reads like a Horror movie yet I still pin on the tin star.

No matter what dont ever let the doctors tell you what you'll be able to do and not do. Just do it. I wish you the best brother. Family and exercise got me thru it. Best wishes to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top