Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 8:24:07 PM EDT
Like the title says...

I found out today that the Dept that I am working for wants to replace our aging Glock 22's.  Mine is 8 years old and has seen some excessive rounds down range.  They also said that they are looking at possibly going from 40 S&W to 9mm.  One of the other pistols that they are looking at is the FN in either 40 S&W or 9x19.

Anyone have any experience with either the FNS or the SIG 320 as a duty weapon?   I carried a SIG 229 in 40 for a while and liked it fine, but then it was not built on such a radical polymer system and it had the traditional decocker and external safety.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Like the title says...

I found out today that the Dept that I am working for wants to replace our aging Glock 22's.  Mine is 8 years old and has seen some excessive rounds down range.  They also said that they are looking at possibly going from 40 S&W to 9mm.  One of the other pistols that they are looking at is the FN in either 40 S&W or 9x19.

Anyone have any experience with either the FNS or the SIG 320 as a duty weapon?   I carried a SIG 229 in 40 for a while and liked it fine, but then it was not built on such a radical polymer system and it had the traditional decocker and external safety.
View Quote

Stick with Glock if you can. A true proven work horse. The Sig 320 has not proven itself yet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Ours did, but ultimately chose the M&P45. It would have cost us $75k more.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stick with Glock if you can. A true proven work horse. The Sig 320 has not proven itself yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like the title says...

I don't get much of a choice in the matter.  I can try and bend the ears of the people that are the decision makers but that's about it.  If it were me that was making the choice we certainly wouldn't be looking at going to 9mm from 40 S&W either.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't get much of a choice in the matter.  I can try and bend the ears of the people that are the decision makers but that's about it.  If it were me that was making the choice we certainly wouldn't be looking at going to 9mm from 40 S&W either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like the title says...

My PD gives us a choice of 9mm, 40 or 45. 40 beats the gun up and some shooters don't like the snappy recoil. Our duty load for the 9mm is Speer Gold Dot 115 gr +p+. That round will do everything the 40 will without beating the gun up and snappy recoil.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If going 9mm why not stay with the platform that is arguably best in that caliber? No train-up and new manual of arms necessary, no familiarization with the ergonomics of a new grip frame. Makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If going 9mm why not stay with the platform that is arguably best in that caliber? No train-up and new manual of arms necessary, no familiarization with the ergonomics of a new grip frame. Makes no sense to me.
View Quote

Like all other things, I'm sure that it involves money.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Your SIG regional LE manager can provide you a list of agencies that have already approved/adopted the P320,
most of them have been testing them since last summer, there are many, and the list is growing by the day.
If you start contacting them you'll find out operator proficiency is increased across all skill levels with the P320
over the existing issue sidearm, mostly glock. I experienced the same thing, I have about 2500rds on both the
full size and compact, and this is after 23 years of exclusive glock use.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your SIG regional LE manager can provide you a list of agencies that have already approved/adopted the P320,
most of them have been testing them since last summer, there are many, and the list is growing by the day.
If you start contacting them you'll find out operator proficiency is increased across all skill levels with the P320
over the existing issue sidearm, mostly glock. I experienced the same thing, I have about 2500rds on both the
full size and compact, and this is after 23 years of exclusive glock use.

View Quote

I would disagree with you on that one. 26 years on the job and over half of that with a Glock and no issues whatsoever. I guess there is a reason everyone tries to copy the original (Glock).
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I never had any issues either, none. I cant even venture to guess a round count in that time but it would be immense, and that's
spread across all 4 generations, your right there is a reason why glock is the benchmark, they own nearly 70% of the LE market.

Point is, I'm better with the P320 in every measurable area, speed, accuracy, reloads, stronghand, offhand, manipulation etc, this
has been the theme with a lot of other instructors and agencies across the country that have tested/adopted/approved them.

You should try one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I never had any issues either, none. I cant even venture to guess a round count in that time but it would be immense, and that's
spread across all 4 generations, your right there is a reason why glock is the benchmark, they own nearly 70% of the LE market.

Point is, I'm better with the P320 in every measurable area, speed, accuracy, reloads, stronghand, offhand, manipulation etc, this
has been the theme with a lot of other instructors and agencies across the country that have tested/adopted/approved them.

You should try one.
View Quote

I actually plan on shooting it during the Sig range day at Shot Show. If I like it, I may get the sub compact for off duty use. My PD wont be looking at testing new guns for at least another 8 years. We test/change out guns every 10 years and just recently went to the Gen 4 Glocks from the 3rd Gen, we also had the option of the Kimber Pro Carry in our last cycle, but no longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top