Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2014 12:46:04 PM EDT
I've been in LEO since 1995.  I have been with my current department for 14 years.

I'm interested in hearing from veteran officers their opinions on Oath Keepers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for reports on this subversive domestic terrorist organization.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The ones I have met are nutty
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never had any contact with any of them.  The officers in my area that I've talked with don't know anything about them either.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Double tap

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

all day long.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has been my experience.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a fan.  

Organizations like that have good intentions...but they attract nuts.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been in LEO since 1995.  I have been with my current department for 14 years.

I'm interested in hearing from veteran officers their opinions on Oath Keepers.
View Quote

I've been LEO since 1990 and with my current department for 21 years.
I don't need to take an oath promising to keep the oath that I've taken.
I've met a couple in my area who have been Constables. Constables in Pa mainly serve civil papers and some warrants.
They come off to me as people trying to gain control where they have no business.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

This, including recent interactions during our regional "unrest"
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Well,  somewhere there may be a oathkeeper that's not a meth addicted jackrabbit
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not a fan.  

View Quote

This.

The people that start organizations like this probably had good intentions, but they're overshadowed by the vocal fringe elements that get attracted to it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Haven't ran into one yet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Their web forum, when I last visited it - years ago when they first popped up - was filled with black helicopter shit.  I'm sure there's some good folks affiliated with OK but I'm staying away.

cheers,

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not a fan.  

View Quote

This.

I never really had much of an opinion of them but the Nevada standoff made me think they are morons. Yeah you get in a standoff with the feds, you already know your going be pegged as a domestic terror organization. They screwed themselves with that one.Now any time they try to do anything 'good' IE the Ferguson situation, they are going to be blocked by the feds/ watched by the feds.

Considering they had federal sniper teams on them, if they'd have been 'engaged' by protesters and would have had to shoot back. I kinda wonder if the federal sniper teams would have put them down.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, only met 2 though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Last time the topic of Oath Keepers came up here (been awhile though) there was a lot of supporters.  Doesn't seem to be as many as there used to.  

I know someone who went to St. Louis and received a small amount of negative publicity as an Oath Keeper.  I don't think he's a bad guy but he's a little different.  Kinda out there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for the long winded-ness of this post. I’m a member, and though not as active as I would like, I’ve read articles and various posts, here and elsewhere that are a combination of conjecture, flat-out bullshit, or knee-jerk by nature, and in no way, representative of the people I’ve met over the last many months.

The following is strictly my personal observations, and for the TLDR dudes, we have a good bunch of civic minded people, who wish to extend their service to others beyond their military / first responder careers, based on their individual experience. They take the oath to protect and defend each other as well as those they've never met as a life mission, as opposed to some sort of formality to being "hired."

I’ve been a member for about a year and a half.  It’s impossible for me to commit to one chapter, due to my schedule, and I view this as a positive, as I visit one of the 5 chapters within the 50 mile radius of where I live, whenever I have a chance. (Usually once or twice a month)

I have to say that of the hundred or so members I’ve hung out with thus far, they are the most cheerful bunch I’ve encountered in some time. Especially considering the number of cops, who are quick to be cynical.

The thing that surprised me most in my area, was the number of NYPD guys (a few active, but mostly retired) in these chapters. (I retired in 2013) There are also a number of FD guys as well as (the majority) military vets of all ranks, from all branches. I’ve met members who are Pastors, Priests, very-senior L.E. personnel, Lawyers, Musicians, Teachers, as well as moms and dads with no prior military or first-responder background.
Men and women (usually conservative-minded) both, elected or running for local office also come by to address the chapters in their districts.

Gatherings, meetings and events are a bevy of local issues, classes on everything from emergency preparedness, ham radio licensing, out of state pistol permit licensing, (Florida and Utah) General, Constitutional and Penal law, veteran’s issues, (Very big into the Honor Flights for WW-2 vets) politics, and NO shortage of tasty dishes and snacks.  On politics, OKs don’t discriminate based on political beliefs or background, but there is no doubt as to the conservative / libertarian stripe to most of the folks I've met.

Everyone is typically on their best behavior due to the scrutiny. There's no alcohol present. (Almost demanded my dues back...but I can play grown-up for a little while at least)

There’s a gal who chairs one of the chapters who got her pistol instructor creds, and now holds monthly training for women, with guest instructors from various PD’s and SO’s.
The passage of the NY safe-act caused an explosion of pistol permit applications…and most of ‘em are being granted according to one of the investigators who processed mine when I retired. I see it as a good thing that more people with firearms are actually getting some training and practice.

It has also been my personal observation that chapter-focus varies somewhat by locality. Whereas an Oath Keepers Chapter in rural, Montana might have a legitimate need to drop what they are doing and support a small, over-taxed Sheriffs Office, Most north east states have a shit-load of paid and volunteer first-responders that handle local emergencies just fine.
The local chapters here in NY got big into community preparedness after hurricane Sandy.

When NYS govt. went full commie with the gun regs in 2013, the OK membership increased quite a bit.  O-K members who were active within their departments then went into the “Reach, Teach, and Inspire” mode.

NOT an OK note:
   Most cops (I've worked with) view the latest firearms laws as bullshit, and that the so-called elected elite are little more than shit-flinging monkeys. (For the most part) We (again, most with whom I've worked) would NEVER subject ourselves or our families to the level of disarmament that NYC / NYS politicians aspire to.

Even before I was an OK member, I would remind my co-workers that “you’re not going to entertain this bullshit in your life, so please don’t subject your non-Police neighbors to this bullshit either.” There are already thousands upon thousands of scumbags who live to victimize others. (again…we’re in New York)
Deal with them, and don’t fuck with decent people who seek to defend themselves, and back YOU up, if need be.
  As NYC Cops, my crew would have no problem collaring kids pulling pistols and shot guns out of a backpack to light up another group of kids on a basket ball court. But, when we ran into the dude walking down the street at 2AM with the bag full of the day's receipts from the bodega he owns...and an unregistered pistol, he would typically walk. (Being able to prove who he was, and that no one was just robbed in the A-O)

A lot of reasonable people get turned off by the “10 orders we will not obey” as it comes off as a bit tin foil hat-ish….And would be…if they weren’t done already in recent history, or written into law, or part of various TTPs for various federal agencies…also on paper.

The Very Basic Message is “Please Do Not Become The Very Domestic Enemies You SWORE to Defend Your Fellow Americans Against.”

Our regional relationship active with law enforcement is that if and when really bad things happen, we will back you up. We’ll guard locations, direct traffic, provide additional EMS services….Hell…We’ll bring you crunchy Cheetos and coffee if you can’t go to meal during an emergency.
  We’ll help if you need it, as long as you conduct yourself as you have sworn to.
  But, the minute you get Orwellian, or start eating the crazy-eye Cuomo cake…You’re on your own kid!

A Militia? Yea Right.
   There is NO exclusivity to act as a militia. The duty of All Americans is to maintain order, civility, and a common defense of one’s community, state, and nation. I suppose that the reason most don’t think about this, is that we’re so fat and happy that there’s no immediate NEED to consider it. It’s certainly a good thing, as we see plenty of alternatives in places like the Middle East and North Africa.

Regarding the attraction of loons…You’d be hard pressed to find any organization without a few individuals make the rest take a step back, do the head slap, and say “What in the blue fuck.”  (Try riding with a police-motorcycle club )
   I have been told of instances locally, of guys being taken aside and told “This is not what we’re about, please don’t come back.”  
Similarly….
There were three or four occasions as a patrol cop, when my partner was out sick, or on a week long Johnny Walker / whore-bender in Miami, that, I was assigned to work with a walking-human-disaster.
You tell the guy in question, in front of the boss,  “Sorry. You’re a fucking retard and you’re going to get me locked up or killed.” That would be the end of it. They would even borrow a sector team from an adjoining precinct if need be.

My point is that kooks are everywhere, and unfortunately, THEY will get the headlines more often than not.

SO….If there’s a chapter near you, go check it out. If you have something to contribute, fine. If there are folks there you can learn from, all the better.
Like everything else in life, you take away based on what you put in.
If ya walk in and everyone's wearing camouflage leather hoods, panties and garter belts, and screaming about chem trails and the new-world-order....RUN. (Unless you're into that sort of thing... )

A safe and happy holiday season to ALL our "Brothers of the Shield"
Paddy and Family
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Most I have run into around here are fringe types that also have strong Soveriegn Citizen leanings. Maybe it is just the nuts that stick out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

all day long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all day long.

Not just in the day time, I'm nutty at night too. Honest!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Ummm, no.  Stay away, my understanding is most of the members are turds.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, no.  

This in no way reflects personal experience, and further dealing with two of the OK's I met recently during our local unrest I get the impression that they were trying to relive the glory of days gone by, but never actually experienced the first go round.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I won't automatically lump all the Oath Keepers into the same category (nuts) because, like any group, there will be the nuts.  However, my experience with them aren't too great.  I'm sure there are some super people in the organization who are there for the right reasons but, as mentioned before, it just attracts too many fringe types.  I'd bet some of the chapters are better than others but in my area, they have left a very poor impression of the organization.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I was a member when they first started (think my member number was under 800) and still belive that the constiution is the law of the land, but some of the wack jobs and stuff they have gotten involved in made me not renew. Plus do I really have to pay money to believe that the constitution is the law of the land.

J-
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#28]
It's an organization that sounds good in principle, but some of the representatives (members ) do it great harm by their attitude.  I had one try to give me the card with the oath on ten subjects, kindly told them "no thanks".  I'm aware of my oaths, it outlines what I will support and protect.  I don't need to swear an oath to what I wont do.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah, no.  

This in no way reflects personal experience, and further dealing with two of the OK's I met recently during our local unrest I get the impression that they were trying to relive the glory of days gone by, but never actually experienced the first go round.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no.  

Your very mention of the word glory is more telling about you than any OK member.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I have met and know a few.  A few of them are idiots.  With that said, I already took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the US and of Alabama, so...  If it comes down to ordered confiscation my boss will be told to take my badge and shove it up his ass.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Your very mention of the word glory is more telling about you than any OK member.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no.  

How so?  What is it telling us?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, no.  

I believe he is in an attempt to defend OK's is making a drastic stretch that my mentioning "glory" in regards to the OK nutcases I've personally met and somehow indicate I find glory in my own job performance.  

And while trying to skew what I said, he makes my point; going into my line of work for glory is dangerous to everyone; trying to relive a false sense of it is sad and nutty.

There were two specifically I met in the past 30 days that were wearing things and doing things that had nothing to do with what they did in the past, but wanted everyone around them to think that they had.

As stated by others; I've taken my oath for 3 separate agencies in my career.  I've never been accused of not filling those requirements, and I don't need to take an oath about what I promise not to do.  

In my experience, the Oath Keepers I have met are a combination of reenactors, airsoft and sovereign citizen'esk types.  Again, no thank you.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was a member when they first started (think my member number was under 800) and still belive that the constiution is the law of the land, but some of the wack jobs and stuff they have gotten involved in made me not renew. Plus do I really have to pay money to believe that the constitution is the law of the land.

J-
View Quote

I seem to recall you were one of the biggest proponents of Oath Keepers once upon a time.  What changed for you?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I seem to recall you were one of the biggest proponents of Oath Keepers once upon a time.  What changed for you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

The way the alot of the newer members started acting. The organization changed away from my liking over time.

J-
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I took an oath when I was sworn in. That's all I need to worry about.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I took an oath when I was sworn in. That's all I need to worry about.
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Yo, dawg. I heard you liked oaths so you can take another oath while you oath.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The way the alot of the newer members started acting. The organization changed away from my liking over time.

J-
View Quote

This happens just about everywhere.

The Tea Party started off pretty clean but it didn't take long for the Religious Right to infiltrate and drag all the social issues into it and turn it into a small offshoot of the Republican party.

Same likely holds true for the OKs.  

Once they got rolling the 88s, militia nutcakes and the usual gang of malcontents hopped on the bandwagon and ruined it. While some OKs are trying to help and likely are damned good people trying to avoid trouble, many newcomers are LOOKING for trouble. There's a difference.

I have a friend that was in a so-called militia that the county sheriff LOVED because they were really helpful and worked well with LE. They did a number of things and worked like hell to police their ranks. Sure enough, a couple people slipped through the cracks and it went to hell. My friend dropped out and I can't say as I blame him. I would have done the same thing.

Let's face it, ANYTHING having ANYTHING to do with firearms draws nut cakes like the moon draws water.

Being a mod in GD on this site is a full time job of being a Nazi hunter. If they didn't do as good a job as they do this place would have turned into a sister Stormfront site years ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Tea Party started off pretty clean but it didn't take long for the Religious Right to infiltrate and drag all the social issues into it and turn it into a small offshoot of the Republican party.

Once they got rolling the 88s, militia nutcakes and the usual gang of malcontents hopped on the bandwagon and ruined it. While some OKs are trying to help and likely are damned good people trying to avoid trouble, many newcomers are LOOKING for trouble. There's a difference.

I have a friend that was in a so-called militia that the county sheriff LOVED because they were really helpful and worked well with LE. They did a number of things and worked like hell to police their ranks. Sure enough, a couple people slipped through the cracks and it went to hell. My friend dropped out and I can't say as I blame him. I would have done the same thing.

Let's face it, ANYTHING having ANYTHING to do with firearms draws nut cakes like the moon draws water.

Being a mod in GD on this site is a full time job of being a Nazi hunter. If they didn't do as good a job as they do this place would have turned into a sister Stormfront site years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

I agree.

I was at the first Tea Party rally in D.C.

We were all there to protest against Obama and his over-reach with health care and the general out of control growth of government intrusiveness into out every day lives.
It was so refreshing to find that I was far from alone in thinking the way I did about what we have become as a nation.
I talked to a large number of the others and we pretty much all agreed that while it would be great to organize, it would never work because the opportunist politicians and other general nut cases would come and distort our very simple message, and hijack our movement to promote a very different agenda.

While I've attended quite a few of the rallies, I've never joined any of the organizations for that very reason.

One thing is very clear though, the politicians of both sides saw how powerful we are, not as an organization, but as a percentage of citizens that have grown fed up with the government and want to promote change.

That is why they have done everything possible to marginalize and demonize everything they can about the Tea Party, and the values of its supporters.

From my understanding, the Oath Keepers started out with a simple message as well. Simply put, to put Obama and his henchmen on notice that no matter how they twist the constitution, there are a large number of current and former military and LEO people that will not follow unconstitutional orders simply because their "superior" or the government told them to.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#40]
As many others have stated, when I first heard of OK, it seemed like a terrific idea. I've dealt with three OKs in my LE career, and all three have ranged from memorably nutty to completely squirrel turd nutty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top