Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2014 8:39:36 PM EDT
Ive been tasked with trying to get cans on our patrol rifles. If anyone is using them in this capacity and is willing to share policies and information I would greatly appreciate it. PM me if you wish and Ill provide my dept email.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Does OSHA have max sound levels?  I know about the time weighted averages,but what about known instantaneous sounds at work?.  

It is ppe, just like nitrile gloves.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
PM sent
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Our agency SERT was issued new 6920's  with a 10.5 bbl and Gemtech thread on (permanent rockset) cans. Most of the rifles have been so ridden with malfunctions that the guys either pulled the can off, or just went back to their old rifle. Its no fault of the rifle, but they were not equipped to mechanically work well suppressed. I'm no gunsmith or armorer myself but i know we put an adjustable gas block on a problem rifle and it worked, rather than 7-10 malfunctions a magazine. Rather than just buy 30 adjustable gas blocks and or different buffers for each problem rifle, the agency continues to ask Colt why the rifles dont work, who of course says send them to us and we'll give you new ones. God bless them. So I guess as part of your process I would humbly suggest (depending on what rifle you are using), to include the budget for an adjustable gasblock and buffer for each rifle.

As far as the cans go, is there a reason to permanently mount it, rather than a quick detach muzzle device of some kind? The only thing ive been able to figure out is price. The Gemtechs we have were pretty inexpensive and seem of good quality. I am no expert or anything special, but i figured i'd share what we've recently experienced.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

The problem is greater than just getting them and putting them on the rifles and tuning the gas. Ive been able to do that myself with my rifle but only because of my assignment to SWAT.

The problem is getting enough reasoning to convince the chief to go forward with it. He is very much against cans and wont sign off on them for our own guys' personal use, never mind the citizens of the town.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, selling suppressors to admin takes an entirely different approach, Hollywood has done a helluva job over
a lot of years in creating peoples perception of what they are, first that has to be dispelled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top