Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2014 8:31:25 PM EDT
I thought I saw a post a long while back about donating used vests to other departments which can use them. A friend's department is updating their vests and he's collecting the old vests. He wanted to know if there was a department in Northern Virginia that was collecting them or some other collection point for them. Any help is appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Cedar County Missouri just had an officer shot and killed.
They have no issued armor. In lieu of flowers, the widow is asking for donations of armor for the deputies.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They have no issued armor. In lieu of flowers, the widow is asking for donations of armor for the deputies.

View Quote

That is absolutely ridiculous. How does anyone think its acceptable to go on the street without armor.
I would never work for an agency that didnt issue something so basic as body armor.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That is absolutely ridiculous. How does anyone think its acceptable to go on the street without armor.
I would never work for an agency that didnt issue something so basic as body armor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While it may be sad, there is nothing stopping someone from buying a vest themselves. Even people that are not in Law Enforcement do it and vests just are not THAT expensive. [I bought mine thru Galls on sale, it was very affordable.]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
govt programs where departments can buy armored vehicles, but depts still dont have armor?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree with you in principle, MANY smaller agencies in this country don't have the money to equip their officers with body armor.  It's fine to say that they should provide armor but if the money isn't there....well it's just not there.  You might be amazed at the number of extremely poor agencies nationwide who struggle to provide proper police services to their communities and whose officers learn to make due with very little.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#7]
While I agree with you in principle, MANY smaller agencies in this country don't have the money to equip their officers with body armor.  It's fine to say that they should provide armor but if the money isn't there....well it's just not there.  You might be amazed at the number of extremely poor agencies nationwide who struggle to provide proper police services to their communities and whose officers learn to make due with very little.
View Quote

That is just nothing more than an excuse small agencies use.  The federal government has had a program in place since 1998, that will pay for 50% of armor for any agency that needs it.  That puts a vest at $250 per LEO.  I doubt many municipalities will have an issue coming up with that, and if they do, no cop should be dumb enough to go to work without shelling out the money himself or being creative and do some fund raisers to get the money. Give up the cigs, give up the dip, give up the alcohols and give up the eating out....and $250 will come quick to any pocket.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is just nothing more than an excuse small agencies use.  The federal government has had a program in place since 1998, that will pay for 50% of armor for any agency that needs it.  That puts a vest at $250 per LEO.  I doubt many municipalities will have an issue coming up with that, and if they do, no cop should be dumb enough to go to work without shelling out the money himself or being creative and do some fund raisers to get the money. Give up the cigs, give up the dip, give up the alcohols and give up the eating out....and $250 will come quick to any pocket.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

If you can't afford to equip your guys with something as basic as a vest, you probably shouldn't be employing those guys.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The increase in insurance premiums from one wrongful death lawsuit for failing to provide body armor will pay for more than enough vests.

Administrators love to talk liability, except when it actually applies.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The increase in insurance premiums from one wrongful death lawsuit for failing to provide body armor will pay for more than enough vests.

View Quote

I know of a small agency that the bean counters (city elected officials) refused to provide training other than the state min.  When the chief brought up the "failure to train" court cases, the council members basically said "that's what we have insurance for.  If something bad happens, our insurance will pay"  

That agency has had two officer involved shootings in the past few years....they still don't supply vests and they still don't have more training.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know of a small agency that the bean counters (city elected officials) refused to provide training other than the state min.  When the chief brought up the "failure to train" court cases, the council members basically said "that's what we have insurance for.  If something bad happens, our insurance will pay"  

That agency has had two officer involved shootings in the past few years....they still don't supply vests and they still don't have more training.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully everyone in that agency is looking for a new job.  Good on the Chief for trying though.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:30:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

govt programs where departments can buy armored vehicles, but depts still dont have armor?
View Quote
Unfortunately, the DOD/DLA 1033 LESO Program has a policy against supplying any form of body armor. The DOD mandates that all turned-in armor must be destroyed. The nice DLA LESO folks at the Battle Creek, MI office don't like this policy either, but the DOD (Army) won't change it. They're worried about liability, so they'd rather offer nothing.

If you don't like that, please contact your CongressCritter and urge to have DOD relax that policy!

They wouldn't even give us these cool Ops-Core NVG Helmets that SOF had discarded because they were the IIIa shell version.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

We are almost in 2015, and that is absolutely ridiculous. My institution used the federal grants to buy top quality vests for some of our officers. That's a damn shame that those officers aren't provided with the tools to do their job...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Does any member here need a vest?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Administrators love to talk liability, except when it actually applies to an employees' safety or improving working conditions.
View Quote

I swear if I hear the phrase "risk management," I am going to %&^%(T()Q)QYWeQ^^EQ that individual.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top