Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2014 3:57:44 PM EDT
I think it went well...I didn't stutter, or loose my cool. I was very respectful, and very attentive. Surprisingly, he didn't ask me anything about the department.

He asked me why I wanted to be a police officer, and granted, its a cliché answer, I told him that I've wanted to be in LE since I was 8 years old, and now that I'm out of the Army, I want to continue to serve the community, and I want a challenging career, and to make a difference in the community.

Cliché, yes. Honest and heart-felt? Yes.

He asked what I felt to be important qualities for a LEO to have, and I told him that honesty, integrity, commitment, and respect to others were what I felt to be important, as LEOs are rolemodels, and represent the department, and the city.

He also asked why I wanted to be a part of the department, and again, cliché answer, but heart-felt - I was born and raised in this city - I want to give back to the city, and its people.

He looked into my background packet, and saw where admitted that I took a box of MRE's and some mags from the Army. The mags I didn't per say steal - they never asked for them back when I PCSed, but I felt like it was stealing, so I fessed up to that. He beat me up over the box of MREs, and rightfully so. I told him that 6 years ago, I was immature and made a mistake. Hopefully the MRE thing doesn't screw me. Both incidents occurred 6 years ago or so.

I've also had 2 speeding tickets, and 1 failure to obey a traffic sign citation, which I all got back in 2007. Hoping that doesn't screw me either.

He did ask me when the last time I was pulled over, and I told him it was about a month ago, and I got pulled for going 11 over, but the LEO let me off with a warning when he found out I was in the process.....(side note - I wasn't trying to get out of the ticket - I just asked the LEO how bad it was going to hurt me, and he gave me a warning and left. I was definitely prepared to take the ticket, as I was indeed speeding. No argument there. The reason why I was speeding, is that I just honestly wasn't paying attention to the speed, however, I didn't go into detail with the chief. I just told him the LEO gave me a warning when he found out I was in the process.)

So if I don't get hired, I'm sure its because of the MRE's and/or getting pulled over last month.

I always hear everyone tout that "cliché" answers are considered "blowing smoke up their ass", but what happens when its heart-felt, and actually the way I feel? I postponed becoming a LEO, due to 9/11 happening, and I joined to serve. Now that I'm out, and I want to continue to serve. It's frustrating that admins see answers like that as "bullshit" answers.

Regardless, I'm honestly split as to whether or not I'm going to get selected. He said he had his last 3 interviews today, and then he'll make his selections......hoping to hear a "yes" or "no" late this week or early next week.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish you luck. I'm living vicariously through you as I just started the application process. It's been a learning experience watching your journey.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish you luck. I'm living vicariously through you as I just started the application process. It's been a learning experience watching your journey.
View Quote

Thank you! Good luck to you as well!

Its been a hell of a ride. I'm not quite sure how I'll react if I don't get selected.....its been almost a 10 month long process. I may just apply again, and try to get some college under my belt in the meantime....at the same time, I may just see it as LE not being in the cards for me, and pursue something else.

Hoping I do get selected.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really think you'll have a problem.  Everyone does stupid stuff, and your willingness to admit to it speaks to your character.  

Good luck in the process.  Let us know what you hear about your interview.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't really think you'll have a problem.  Everyone does stupid stuff, and your willingness to admit to it speaks to your character.  

Good luck in the process.  Let us know what you hear about your interview.
View Quote

Thank you! I should hear back this coming week. I'll let ya'll know.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I sit on hiring boards. If this is your biggest sins, you're fine.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you taken a poly?

I know in the county I work in they won't hire anyone with a giglio violation.

You might look that case up in case it directly affects you.

Sounds like you did fine. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If there is one thing I've learned during my time, it's that there seems to be a higher force at work when it comes to personnel.  You will end up where you are meant to be, there seems to be little or no rhyme or reason to the selection process (for qualified candidates).
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you will do ok. Police departments wants REAL people not robots. Everyone makes mistakes and you admitted to it. My chief's interview was painful and I left feeling like crap, however, I got hired. Good luck to you and if you don't get hired at that department I am sure you will get in somewhere, just be yourself and keep being honest.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes the point is to squeeze you a little to see how you hold up, if your answers are consistent with what the chief has heard about you already.
Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top