Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2014 6:54:21 PM EDT
I sold my cuffs and stuff years ago. I had peerless and s&w chain cuffs and a pair of peerless hinged cuffs.  The ASPs were just coming out when I left to go back to school.  Anybody got feedback on em?

I also need a good oversized cuff key.  

Are blackhawk dummy guns okay?    

I laughed when I realized KCI mags are about the same as dummy mags (might as well use em as range mags)

Anybody got a recommendation on a flashlight pouch for a Surefire G2X?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both S&W hinge cuffs, and S&W  chains, I prefer the Smith mechanism over the peerless, but that might simply be because that's what I was issued and always used. I carry a monadnock autolock. I prefer the release button over banging a friction lock on the ground to get it to collapse.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My old agency used monadnock.   Never used an asp.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Our department issues Peerless, but I prefer the S&W, can't point to anything factual, but I think they just "feel" better.  A couple of guys have Hiatt cuffs, and they seem to be really good as well.

The new ASP cuffs have the advantage of being larger and key holes on both sides, the downside is you need a different cuff case for them, and I've seen them bind up after being compressed in a guys duty bag all summer in Texas heat.  But that's probably more of a "take care of your gear and it will take care of you" than it is a statement about the handcuffs themselves.

I have a Safariland, Tex Shoemaker, and a no-name oversize cuff key, just remember whatever you buy, try it in all your cuffs first before you trust to it on the street, as sometimes different cuffs will have different key tolerances.  I don't trust the ones that come with the cuffs because they usually aren't a good strong steel like the aftermarket ones you can buy.

Just about everybody makes some kind of flashlight holder, mine is just the leather loop where the head of the flashlight keeps it from falling through.  Since it's just a loop and not actually a pouch, it fits my Streamlight Stinger, also Surefire G2's and a bunch of other lights.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I sold my cuffs and stuff years ago. I had peerless and s&w chain cuffs and a pair of peerless hinged cuffs.  The ASPs were just coming out when I left to go back to school.  Anybody got feedback on em?

I also need a good oversized cuff key.  

Are blackhawk dummy guns okay?    

I laughed when I realized KCI mags are about the same as dummy mags (might as well use em as range mags)

Anybody got a recommendation on a flashlight pouch for a Surefire G2X?
View Quote

We issue peerless here.  They are okay as well as the s&w cuffs.  ASP cuff seem bulky.  A fews years ago I bought some colored handcuffs for my patrolmen from handcufwarehouse.com at a decent price.  Had them engraved with officers name for a couple bucks extra.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W cuffs, I've never tried anything else. zak tool cuff key. for any 1" light I use Surefire's combat holster (i think its the V70). Its simple, can hold the light bezel up or down, and they will replace it for free if it breaks. A lot of guys at work are starting to make their own flashlight holsters/folding blade knife sheaths out of kydex. If made right, they are pretty much indestructible
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Personal preferences - monadnock over asp having used both.  Peerless over S&W due to the double lock mechanism, I just like it much better. Hinge over Chain. I do like the ASP cuffs but they are bigger than most and will not fit in some cases depending on what you go with.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer S&W cuffs. I don't know the exact model number but mine have a lever that you use to double lock them, it's super fast.

I strongly, strongly prefer the Monadnock baton over the ASP. The new Autolock two is out or will be shortly, I know a Safariland rep and got to play with one, its the shit. No wobble like the original.

As far as a light holder, we use streamlights and are issued a standard Safariland light holder. It's no frills nothing fancy but it works.

And for the love of God, use a Safariland ALS holster and not a Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
S+W cuffs only for me. We were issued peerless while in the Academy, and had quite a few issues with them. So much so, they took them back and reissued smiths. My partner carries the lever lock version and I'm a big fan of these.

I carry the ASP. No complaints on that, but no experience with anything else.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Smith cuffs, Asp cuff get broken.  Asp baton, carry the  biggest you can fit on the belt,  those little 12" versions are worthless.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]
ASP hinge cuffs since 2008, backed up by S&W chain cuffs. I keep my surefire light out front, bezel down in a Surefire V70 holder.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't get the new light weight ASP baton. You couldn't beat a pudding pop with it.
View Quote

I've seen county guys here break theirs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The ASP cuffs, though light, can get bendy and be tough to use on a resistive suspect.  I will use them for plainclothes stuff, but not regular patrol.  I'm a peerless guy because 22 years ago, that's what my Department issued and they've always worked.  The Smiths look good, too.  I'd say it's down to your preference, but I wouldn't use the ASP for patrol.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:35:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I prefer the Smith hinged over the Peerless.  The Smith's close down a little smaller.  Hiats close down real small, but don't open very large.

I carry the Monadnok baton but prefer the ASP holder as I've had the back piece break off two of the Monadnok holders.  The ASP design is a bit more robust.  Sure the Monadnok (now Safarliand) has a lifetime warranty and they'll replace it, it's a few weeks to go without it.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Monadnock autolock I'll sell you cheapish if you need a baton....
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#16]
That's all issued.   Appreciate the offer
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I would never use ASP.  I got a pair for Academy graduation and they say in my car for 2 years.  When I took them out, the plastic was cracked on both of them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would never use ASP.  I got a pair for Academy graduation and they say in my car for 2 years.  When I took them out, the plastic was cracked on both of them.
View Quote

I am so glad you guys talked me out of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top