Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2014 7:04:49 PM EDT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

Is anyone aware of arrests or prosecutions?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The Coastie that became case law was arrested in Orange County NY.  Guy didn't have creds, license suspended, was traveling with wanted criminals and was still cleared.

YMMV

From Wiki:

A number of other courts have held that Coast Guard boarding officers are qualified under LEOSA. In People against Benjamin L. Booth, Jr., Indictment No. 2007-940 (2007), a county court in Orange County, New York, dismissed a criminal charge against Booth, an off-duty member of the Coast Guard, who had been arrested for carrying a loaded handgun in a vehicle. The court held that Booth was authorized to carry a firearm while acting as a Coast Guard boarding officer, adding, "Although the proof at the hearing indicates that the defendant engaged in a violation of rules, regulations and policies of the United States Coast Guard by possessing a handgun for which he had no license, these violations do not act to lessen the scope of LEOSA as it is applied in this instance."
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
A PA Constable was also arrested. He was later found to be covered under LEOSA.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Uninformed cops making uninformed arrests. NYC cops that know the law will not arrest you. Problem is finding one.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The additional problem in NYS is SAFE
Out of state LEOs travelling off duty in NYS run the risk of running afoul of SAFEs magazine limits for officers who are not in NYS on official duties
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The additional problem in NYS is SAFE
Out of state LEOs travelling off duty in NYS run the risk of running afoul of SAFEs magazine limits for officers who are not in NYS on official duties
View Quote

Correct.  There is no protection under LEOSA for capacity violations.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
brilliant
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a simple decision for me; avoid states like NY, CA, CT, et al.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
NYC is actually pretty good for Police Officers. Having a shield is the same as the key to the city. That's one thing I give NYPD credit for, they honor just about any shield as if it was there own. I've never had anything but respect and professionalism when I show my shield in the city. Also let's you ride the train for free..
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Uninformed cops making uninformed arrests. NYC cops that know the law will not arrest you. Problem is finding one.
View Quote

Every command received the bulletin from the NYPD Legal Bureau years back informing officers that they must honor LEOSA. Get arrested, profit.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Heading to upstate NY to do some fly fishing next week and was wondering about this. Is it capacity or the number of rounds in the mag? If I carry my 10+2 round G26 mags dropped down to 7 rounds would I be OK?

Dont really want to carry my Snubby as my drive takes me through some shit on the way to/from home. I dont want to be made an example of or be the "test case" on this, I just wanta fish, LMAO

J-
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Heading to upstate NY to do some fly fishing next week and was wondering about this. Is it capacity or the number of rounds in the mag? If I carry my 10+2 round G26 mags dropped down to 7 rounds would I be OK?

Dont really want to carry my Snubby as my drive takes me through some shit on the way to/from home. I dont want to be made an example of or be the "test case" on this, I just wanta fish, LMAO

J-
View Quote

You're fine with 10 round mags loaded to capacity.  The 7 round limit was thrown out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:47:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're fine with 10 round mags loaded to capacity.  The 7 round limit was thrown out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

cool, gotta a link or source?

J-
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, California is probably one of the est states to carry under te law.  no capacity restrictions for law enforcement and all you need is wrork ID
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually, California is probably one of the est states to carry under te law.  no capacity restrictions for law enforcement and all you need is wrork ID
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No capacity restrictions for in state LEO's.  Out of state LEO's in Calif can only import 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

Page 7 in the NYSP enforcement guide has been updated.

http://www.scopeny.org/safe_act/
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

Thanks

J-
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Not trying to be difficult or a troll, but what about 13/15 round mag loaded with only 10 rounds?  I remember hearing a while ago that even though you only had 10 rounds in the mag, it could hold more and that was an issue?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not trying to be difficult or a troll, but what about 13/15 round mag loaded with only 10 rounds?  I remember hearing a while ago that even though you only had 10 rounds in the mag, it could hold more and that was an issue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

No good.

Any mag with a capacity of over 10 rounds is illegal, including pre-bans.  The only exception is if you are in state on official business as a police officer.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No good.

Any mag with a capacity of over 10 rounds is illegal, including pre-bans.  The only exception is if you are in state on official business as a police officer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

No good.

This still boggles my mind.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

No good.

It Boggles your mind because you have COMMON SENSE unlike the Liberal Politicians in NY..............
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I flew up to Plattsburgh 2 weeks ago, didn't know what capacity restrictions there were so I just brought my .357 mag to carry.  There's no silly rule about bullet types is there, ie. hollow points?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I flew up to Plattsburgh 2 weeks ago, didn't know what capacity restrictions there were so I just brought my .357 mag to carry.  There's no silly rule about bullet types is there, ie. hollow points?
View Quote

Doesn't matter, the 2010 amendment to LEOSA "legalized" hollowpoint ammo for those covered by LEOSA.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Every command received the bulletin from the NYPD Legal Bureau years back informing officers that they must honor LEOSA. Get arrested, profit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering I haven't seen any such bulletin posted in my command or read at roll call since I've been on. Profiting is possible.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Considering I haven't seen any such bulletin posted in my command or read at roll call since I've been on. Profiting is possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was even supposed to be read at 10 consecutive roll calls. Never was in my command, only reason I saw it is because I had to look it up for someone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top