BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No cuffs?  You use The Force to restain suspects?
View Quote

I see a pair of cuffs but they aren't easy to see.  I missed them the first glance too!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I see a pair of cuffs but they aren't easy to see.  I missed them the first glance too!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see them now.  Originally saw that pic on my phone.  Either way, that's a pretty minimalist setup, OP.  You could dump the baton, but otherwise it doesn't look heavy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Geez,  that doesn't look that heavy at all compared to my duty belt.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Do you carry a pair of latex or nitrile gloves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a picture for all you gear queers. I have a small waist (33) and my flashlight is right on the back of my left hip.  The PR usually comes off the hip and stays in the car until I get out.  Both are not very comfortable when sitting in a the car which is why i've been looking for a small flashlight.  I plan to add another pair of cuffs and will probably get 2 kydex cuff holders to replace the leather strap.  I have been cautioned to keep any gear off my gun side but i see a lot of people do it.  

As for boots, right now I'm wearing a cheap pair of bates.  Maybe next uniform allowance I'll be able to pick up a pair of danners.  They are too damn expensive.

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab82/DTIguy/WP_20141106_001_zps89fea9d5.jpg

Do you carry a pair of latex or nitrile gloves?
yeah, gloves are in my cargo pocket.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

There are a pair of cuffs on there.  they are a little hard to see.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

I mean it isn't that heavy but it's mostly the bulk that is a pain in the ass.  It's definitely different than a chest rig that i'm used to.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I mean it isn't that heavy but it's mostly the bulk that is a pain in the ass.  It's definitely different than a chest rig that i'm used to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get rid of the sideways mag holders.

Get a solid handcuff case, preferably a double case for a second set. You will need a second set of cuffs. Some people prefer to keep their handcuff cases in back, I prefer to have one up front and a second in back.

If you aren't mandated by policy, ditch the PR off your belt and keep it in the car. If the stinger is causing problems, ditch the holder and just stick it in your back pocket when you get out of the car. I tried doing that, but after the first time I had go back and find my light after it fell out of my pocket during a foot chase I now have a holder on my belt. That also taught me the importance of a back up light since I didn't have one and chasing G into a  dark house with out a light was really fucking stupid of me. I recommend one with a clip on it. I love the Maratac light that I recommended earlier, I've ended up buying 5 of them. I keep one on my SWAT vest, one clipped in my pocket and one in my bail-out bag while I'm at work along with two spares at home. If I lose one or it breaks, I'm not gonna be too heart broken since they are only 45 bucks.

You'll get used to having all the crap on your waist the more you wear it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
You're gonna need two pairs of cuffs, pretty much mandatory.  I have a 30" waist, not a ton of real estate and I don't want anything behind my gun, so I have a double case to save space.  Mags are vertical on my strong side right up against my belt buckle.  Everything else (taser, radio, light, cuff case) is crammed onto the weak side of my belt.

I also ditched my baton to save some space and weight, right after I completed FTO.  If I have to thump someone with something, I'll just use my flashlight, it's usually in my hand anyways.  ASP was always awkward and slow for me to draw anyways.

Suspenders make a world of difference.  If they're authorized (or there's no policy on them) I would pick up a set and save your back.  They spread the weight between your shoulders and hips, feels more like a vest.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd love to have that set up!

My duty belt from right to left: PRD, OC, G19, ASP, cuffs. Dual latex glove pouch in small of back.  Tourniquet, cuffs, flashlight, radio, mags in vertical position.  

Keepers front and back of holster, at 8 between cuffs and tourniquet, and around the gloves, for 5 total.

Would love to ditch the ASP and PRD, but dept mandates and all that. That and my radio is tremendous with an antenna about 14"
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:18:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Same thing here too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recommend you stop being a little bitch, recruit!  Kidding.  

In my academy class, if it was issued, that's what you were carrying/wearing for six months of academy and then the 3.5 months of FTO.  Afterwards, you can mess around and tune your own setup.  If you're allowed to select your own gear, then go to nylon for weight savings.  Stick with Safariland for a holster, but choose an ALS system plastic holster.  I wouldn't carry anything with a strap either.  Personally, I switched to a Stinger LED because it was a little heftier, but you can choose from a plethora of smaller rechargeable lights.  I'd stay away from anything that takes batteries you can't recharge, since you will go through them like crazy.

I figured I had that coming.

Thanks for the replies.  We are restricted to leather gear only so nylon is out of the question unfortunately.  We were initially issued used safariland holsters that were already broken in.  We had to turn those in and got new ones which are really tight.  I adjusted the screw and it's still tight.  I've been drawing/holstering while watching tv to loosen it up some.  

Weapon mounted lights are also a no-go.

dumb

Same thing at my agency.

Same thing here too.

What are the theories behind no weapon lights allowed.  Seems stupid they wouldn't allow them
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah but at least the SL20 doubled as a beat stick.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I figured I had that coming.

Thanks for the replies.  We are restricted to leather gear only so nylon is out of the question unfortunately.  We were initially issued used safariland holsters that were already broken in.  We had to turn those in and got new ones which are really tight.  I adjusted the screw and it's still tight.  I've been drawing/holstering while watching tv to loosen it up some.  

Weapon mounted lights are also a no-go.

So your agency doesn't mandate particular gear as long as its leather?

The Stinger is bulky eh?
I know a lot of the new lights are small, but lets see you go really old school and carry an SL20 for a while and then call the Stinger too bulky
Besides, you should be buying more than one light
Odds are as the new guy you'll be on one of the dark shifts for the first few years of your career

Yeah but at least the SL20 doubled as a beat stick.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Shit I have had my streamstick for 20+ years.  Still works great
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
snip

What are the theories behind no weapon lights allowed.  Seems stupid they wouldn't allow them
View Quote

retards who shouldn't be employed anyways using the gun light as a flashlight, when the gun should still be in its holster.  And/or some reports of the weight causing feeding problems with certain pistols.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top