Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2014 10:55:21 PM EDT
I've started my first week out of the academy and on the streets.  So far I'm having a blast but my biggest complaint is the sheer weight and bulk of my duty belt.  I got a pretty decent uniform allowance so I'm thinking of replacing and or adding some gear.  

I've been issued a safariland holster and I really can't stand the thing.  Its huge and I'm not too fond of the retention strap.  The thing is also pretty snug and makes drawing a weapon rather difficult.  I was thinking about replacing with a serpa.  Anything level 2+ is good to go.  Would you guys recommend the serpa?

I've also been issued a streamlight stinger.  Its nice, but again, somewhat bulky.  What do you guys recommend for a backup that's a little smaller?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I recommend you stop being a little bitch, recruit!  Kidding.  

In my academy class, if it was issued, that's what you were carrying/wearing for six months of academy and then the 3.5 months of FTO.  Afterwards, you can mess around and tune your own setup.  If you're allowed to select your own gear, then go to nylon for weight savings.  Stick with Safariland for a holster, but choose an ALS system plastic holster.  I wouldn't carry anything with a strap either.  Personally, I switched to a Stinger LED because it was a little heftier, but you can choose from a plethora of smaller rechargeable lights.  I'd stay away from anything that takes batteries you can't recharge, since you will go through them like crazy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]
No way in hell I'd carry a Serpa on duty. Quit using the off-duty holster I have as well.

Your holster should have a retention allen screw on the side, it will loosen the tension on the holster so the pistol comes out easier. You want a bit of tension, but not a lot.

I love the 6280 series, but I recently purchased an ALS holster and would carry one for duty as well.

As far as the weight? Not sure how to handle that other than shoulder harness, like a web gear. Can't say that would fly in any place I've seen. Welcome to the bad part about police work - getting a bad back.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Sturdy set of belt keepers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Having a Fucked up back from duty gear is part of being a cop...welcome to the club bro!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a Bianchi Velcro duty belt/trouser belt system.  Inner belt is hook, inside of gunbelt is lined with loop.  Sticks together well, I don't need keepers, and I carry a lot (G22, three spare mags, Taser, shotgun shells, cuffs, pepper spray, radio).  Keep it tight to prevent shifting.

Welcome to back pain.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the ALS holsters.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
i suggest you keep the holster, in a fight it can help
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with avoiding the SERPA. I think in a stress situation the SERPA will be more difficult to draw because of the index finger release.  I carry a surefire lawman R1 for my EDC light.  It is awesome buuuuttt expensive.  Lucky for me it was a gift and I know the person who got it for me had about 60% off.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm the opposite. I am issued a serpa 3 and would much rather like to run a 6360 or the new 7360. The serpa is fast but I just don't trust it/like the look of it. Its gaudy in my opinion. Getting a high grip on a gun is very easy when drawing with the ALS as your web tightens up on the back strap by the beaver tail. I was having issues with belt keeps and them digging into me. I have bony hips due to being "streamlined" unlike some cops. Went to the velcro backed Safariland belts, model 70V, and wouldn't give it up for anything. Easy on and off, no pressure points, no flashy buttons all over the place. I was worried about it staying put but so far after 2 months I have had no trouble with it moving on me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw a serpa ripped off a duty belt during weapon retention training, as well as a different serpa that you were able to get the pistol out by simply rocking it out of the holster no matter how much pressure was put on the gun to try and keep it in the holster.

Stick with Safariland. Safariland does make an extension that will extend the holster out some.

I would suggest keeping the Stinger, but I keep one of these clipped in my pocket as a backup light.

You've only been wearing the gear for a week. You will get used to it. I would suggest finding a gym and keep working out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#11]
As for drawing the weapon, snug is good.  Spend some time with an empty weapon just drawing and re-holstering.  (No, not in front of a mirror)  Just develop the muscle memory and it will become natural.  You may come to love the high security feature after a few hand to hand or mob situations.  Remember that a weapon is involved with every call you roll on,,,yours, make sure you retain control of it.  As to the bulk and weight of the gear, you will get used to it, it just feels unnatural right now, give it time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at the video with gravel locking the Serpa and making it impossible to get the gun out.

Mine went in my range-only box the day I watched the video. You will die if that happens on duty. And if you think you won't be fighting in parking lots, etc...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In my academy class, if it was issued, that's what you were carrying/wearing for six months of academy and then the 3.5 months of FTO.  Afterwards, you can mess around and tune your own setup.  .
View Quote

yep whatever you got in the academy is what you should wear for FTO.  Soon as i finished I started wearing my external carrier which has molle attachments, and moved my mags, and radio to my vest.  Only thing on my belt is gun, OC and handcuff strap.  Definitely makes my back feel better.  I also have a admin pouch, and a small flashlight on the vest.  We are issued a large mag light, which some people dont like but I love mine.  Doubles as a door knocker/impact weapon.  Personally I would keep the large flashlight and get a smaller one as well.

I have a G22 with TLR1 in a Safariland, wouldnt trade it for anything.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

In my academy class, if it was issued, that's what you were carrying/wearing for six months of academy and then the 3.5 months of FTO.  Afterwards, you can mess around and tune your own setup.  If you're allowed to select your own gear, then go to nylon for weight savings.  Stick with Safariland for a holster, but choose an ALS system plastic holster.  I wouldn't carry anything with a strap either.  Personally, I switched to a Stinger LED because it was a little heftier, but you can choose from a plethora of smaller rechargeable lights.  I'd stay away from anything that takes batteries you can't recharge, since you will go through them like crazy.
View Quote

I figured I had that coming.

Thanks for the replies.  We are restricted to leather gear only so nylon is out of the question unfortunately.  We were initially issued used safariland holsters that were already broken in.  We had to turn those in and got new ones which are really tight.  I adjusted the screw and it's still tight.  I've been drawing/holstering while watching tv to loosen it up some.  

Weapon mounted lights are also a no-go.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies.  We are restricted to leather gear only so nylon is out of the question unfortunately.  We were initially issued used safariland holsters that were already broken in.  We had to turn those in and got new ones which are really tight.  I adjusted the screw and it's still tight.  I've been drawing/holstering while watching tv to loosen it up some.  

Lots of good suggestions already given, I'll just add be careful and don't shoot your TV.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

So your agency doesn't mandate particular gear as long as its leather?

The Stinger is bulky eh?
I know a lot of the new lights are small, but lets see you go really old school and carry an SL20 for a while and then call the Stinger too bulky
Besides, you should be buying more than one light
Odds are as the new guy you'll be on one of the dark shifts for the first few years of your career
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Do NOT roll with a Serpa. I am a big fan of the Safariland ALS holsters.

For a smaller version of the Stinger, get a Strion LED.

Leather only or leather LOOK? Bianchi AccuMold Elite is nylon but looks like leather. Lighter, more durable, stays better looking longer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dumb
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

dumb
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dumb

Same thing at my agency.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same thing at my agency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dumb

Same thing at my agency.

Same thing here too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Stinger is bulky eh?
I know a lot of the new lights are small, but lets see you go really old school and carry an SL20 for a while and then call the Stinger too bulky
Odds are as the new guy you'll be on one of the dark shifts for the first few years of your career
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Stinger is bulky eh?

Yeah but at least the SL20 doubled as a beat stick.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Maglite rechargable FTW.

Stingers seemed to blow too many bulbs IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Stinger is bulky eh?

It has been referred to as a "battery powered nightstick".
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I, along with many other cops Love our Serpa's. The draw is natural for me. I absolutely hated the Safariland ALS holsters that were issued. Wasn't a natural draw for me... I always had to readjust once I cleared. As for a light... I carry the Surefire R1 Lawman. Great light!!

As for your back hurting... Suck it up buttercup. Jk. You'll get used to your rig... Strengthen your core and try to evenly distribute the weight. Also get a good pair of boots. I won't own anything other than Danner's now... Took a long time for me to learn that lesson.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I highly recommend ditching the Serpa.

I have friends that are very experienced with firearms that have shot themselves during training classes with the Serpa (of course they were to blame for pulling the trigger but the Serpa puts your finger ON the trigger)

I have also personally witnessed a Serpa FREEZING shut on duty when we were working in the snow. Took about 30 seconds to warm it up so the gun could be drawn.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Start thinking Oz = LBS on all your duty gear.  A slim line cuff case, smaller radio holder or even a smaller asp.

Add more core exercises to your workout.  

I have been reading about these http://www.backdefensesystems.com/default.asp  it is just a bit $$$ if it does not work.  

Safariland 070 Holster - SSIII Mid-Ride Level III  with tons of draw and holstering drills.

Two things that I will not go cheap on, duty boots and quality leather gear.   Both can make a 12 hr shift bearable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#27]
How small are you that you feel a Stinger is too big?  I wear a Stinger on my belt and always have my rechargeable Maglight stuffed between my seat and the center console but honestly I never really use that, I use the Stinger for everything.

Keep the Safariland they make a great product. Adjust the holster a little to get a perfect draw.

I wear all Leather and like the look, I feel nylon looks a little trashy IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for Safariland!!!  The ALS holsters are the best on the market, bar none!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Maglite rechargable FTW.

View Quote

Bulbs? Led gramps.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bulbs? Led gramps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maglite rechargable FTW.

Bulbs? Led gramps.

Some of us have had our stingers for 20 years and don't feel like buying a whole new light
The after market LED conversion kits void the Streamlight warranty and Streamlight offers no factory conversion kits
So we stick with the bulbs
I have 2 Stingers and 2 Super Stingers and I'm not buying 4 new lights
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Post a pic of your duty rig and maybe we can help you out a bit more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Bulbs? Led gramps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maglite rechargable FTW.

Bulbs? Led gramps.

HAHA, I carry a  Poly-Stinger and an M3, both with bulbs.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bulbs? Led gramps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maglite rechargable FTW.

Bulbs? Led gramps.

Listen here, son. In my day I'd have beat you in the head with my maglite for talking to me like that.

But I don't want to risk blowing a bulb.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Listen here, son. In my day I'd have beat you in the head with my maglite for talking to me like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maglite rechargable FTW.

Bulbs? Led gramps.

Don't stroke out

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#36]
1) run what they gave ya till you are off probation. Not to be a dick but you might not make it and why spend the money till you're sure.

2) Stay away from Serpa, we had a couple of guys have problems with them on duty.

3) Make sure you adjust your holster correctly both with the tension screw and where u wear it on you hip. Too far forward or back can cause problems. Also make sure that you wear a keeper directly infront and directly behind the holster and that you get your inner and duty belts nice and tight. Had a rookie with a problem at the range a couple weeks ago and we traced it to took much movement in the holster when she tried to draw, the holster would tip and pinch the gun.

4) This is an old backpacking trick but a lbs of weight off your feel is like 10 lbs off your back. Wear some light but supportive boots.

I'll come up with some more and let you know.

J-
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#37]
We have Serpa Level 3 holsters with the stupid blackhawk lights which are horrible.  I have never had a problem with it but I don't trust it completely and I much preferred the safariland rig I carried at my old agency.  Look into a set of duty belt suspenders if your policies allow.   They will help take some of the weight off your hips.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the first part, draw and re-holster the gun about a hundred times and you'll break it in. I got a new Safariland holster when they switched me to a TLR-1 (which I had been begging for for like 3 months) after my Glock light actually exploded from recoil during qualifications (plus it was a dim piece of shit anyways ) and the new holster was tight as could be at first. Once I broke it in, it's perfect.

As for the second part... Did they give you a reason why?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Bianchi Accumold Elite is lighter than real leather. Run it by your FTO since it's not actually leather but it looks like it is. I love mine and it's not showing any wear yet (only been using it a few months).

I refuse to use anything but a Safariland holster. Go with the ALS only system if you can't get the ALS/SLS system down but if you train like you should you will. I use hook and loop and keepers. The keepers really help. I would try a stiffer inner belt and keepers instead of hook and loop before I'd change anything and see how that works for you. If you can't get used to the weight they make a padded insert that a lot of guys swear by. I just got used to the weight over time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#40]
+1 for you Safari land ALS/SLS holsters. They're great.

A good set of suspenders helps a ton. I was back to work 4 months after a fractured lumbar vertebrae and I was fairly comfortable.  I wouldn't want to work without the suspenders.

Also, the Streamlight Strion LED is a good smaller light for the price. Malkoff also makes good lights. Smallest Malkoff is about Strion sized I believe and puts out 600 lumens,  larger sizes are 900+ lumens.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#41]
My $.02:

Go with a Safariland.  My dept just authorized the 6360, and I will be moving to it next range cycle. Very easy draw with a little bit of practice, and head and shoulders above our current issue.  

I carry a Fenix light, not sure exactly which one (TK12?). Bright as hell, good battery life and has served me well. Only about 5" total length.

And another vote for the Accumold belt. Looks like leather and much more comfortable than our issue.  Not authorized by the dept, but goes overlooked mostly due to the comfort.

From a guy who spends his entire tour on foot (no car), don't skimp on boots. I prefer 5.11 but you'll find what works for you. Hit the gym (do as I say not as I do) and strengthen core muscles. The weight is new to your body and it will become normal over time.  

Lastly, and this may not apply to your thinking, but I'll carry with me what will get me home safe. Obviously some things are mandated by the dept, but I'm more concerned with going home (which also means pain free). I carry a tourniquet on my belt, which could land me in hot water. But I'd gladly take it for the one time I may have to use it. You'll find out what works for you, and go with it.

Be safe.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My $.02:

Go with a Safariland.  My dept just authorized the 6360, and I will be moving to it next range cycle. Very easy draw with a little bit of practice, and head and shoulders above our current issue.  

I carry a Fenix light, not sure exactly which one (TK12?). Bright as hell, good battery life and has served me well. Only about 5" total length.

And another vote for the Accumold belt. Looks like leather and much more comfortable than our issue.  Not authorized by the dept, but goes overlooked mostly due to the comfort.

From a guy who spends his entire tour on foot (no car), don't skimp on boots. I prefer 5.11 but you'll find what works for you. Hit the gym (do as I say not as I do) and strengthen core muscles. The weight is new to your body and it will become normal over time.  

Lastly, and this may not apply to your thinking, but I'll carry with me what will get me home safe. Obviously some things are mandated by the dept, but I'm more concerned with going home (which also means pain free). I carry a tourniquet on my belt, which could land me in hot water. But I'd gladly take it for the one time I may have to use it. You'll find out what works for you, and go with it.

Be safe.

View Quote

Off OP topic... But our dept trains and equips us with tourniquets. If you don't have it on you it better be within arms reach if a boss asks where it is. I carry mine on my rig.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Off OP topic... But our dept trains and equips us with tourniquets. If you don't have it on you it better be within arms reach if a boss asks where it is. I carry mine on my rig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My $.02:

Be safe.

I don't work for the most progressive department in the world, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#44]
You will get used to the weight of your duty belt.  Get some suspenders or a Back Defender if they're authorized and you can afford it.

The Safariland holsters are excellent but require some breaking in.  The suede inside mine made drawing a little tough for a few weeks.  I suggest lots of dry fire practice while off duty to break in your holster.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's a picture for all you gear queers. I have a small waist (33) and my flashlight is right on the back of my left hip.  The PR usually comes off the hip and stays in the car until I get out.  Both are not very comfortable when sitting in a the car which is why i've been looking for a small flashlight.  I plan to add another pair of cuffs and will probably get 2 kydex cuff holders to replace the leather strap.  I have been cautioned to keep any gear off my gun side but i see a lot of people do it.  

As for boots, right now I'm wearing a cheap pair of bates.  Maybe next uniform allowance I'll be able to pick up a pair of danners.  They are too damn expensive.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here's a picture for all you gear queers. I have a small waist (33) and my flashlight is right on the back of my left hip.  The PR usually comes off the hip and stays in the car until I get out.  Both are not very comfortable when sitting in a the car which is why i've been looking for a small flashlight.  I plan to add another pair of cuffs and will probably get 2 kydex cuff holders to replace the leather strap.  I have been cautioned to keep any gear off my gun side but i see a lot of people do it.  

As for boots, right now I'm wearing a cheap pair of bates.  Maybe next uniform allowance I'll be able to pick up a pair of danners.  They are too damn expensive.

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab82/DTIguy/WP_20141106_001_zps89fea9d5.jpg

View Quote

You'll get used to the weight and bulk.  That's nothing compared to most rooks that I see.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you carry a pair of latex or nitrile gloves?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You'll get used to the weight and bulk.  That's nothing compared to most rooks that I see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably like me.

I have a G22, two spare mags, M26 taser (getting X26's within two weeks), two cuff pouches, 26" ASP, radio, and glove pouch.

I took the spray, flashlight ring, and spare taser cartridge off a long time ago. I wish we could get outer vests so I could move most of that crap to my chest instead of on my waist.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I think I know what department by that gear setup.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#50]
No cuffs?  You use The Force to restain suspects?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top