Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 1:47:54 AM EDT
Hello, I am a sworn corrections officer and I'm researching if im covered under leosa, does anyone have experience or knowledge in this area that can give insight in this area?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have statutory arrest authority outside of the correctional facility you work in?

ETA:  copied from wiki...

Qualified law enforcement officers[edit]In 18 USC § 926B(c),[10] "qualified law enforcement officer" is defined as an employee of a governmental agency who:

1.is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest, or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);
2.is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
3.is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;
4.meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
5.is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
6.is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
Additionally, 18 USC § 926B requires that the individual must carry photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed that identifies the employee as a police officer or law enforcement officer or correctional officer of the agency.

On-duty status determines LEOSA-eligibility. Thus, as long as the person meets the definition of "qualified law enforcement officer" in an on-duty capacity, whether an officer is a full-time, part-time, or reserve peace officer is not relevant in determining whether a person is a "qualified law enforcement officer" under LEOSA. LEOSA's definition of "qualified law enforcement officer" does not include a requirement that a person have law enforcement authority off-duty
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello, I am a sworn corrections officer and I'm researching if im covered under leosa, does anyone have experience or knowledge in this area that can give insight in this area?
View Quote

I'm a sworn corrections officer and covered under LEOSA. Check your departments policies as they may have one referrencing this, ours does.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into dept policy more and ask around at work to see what everyone is saying.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're State of Oregon DOC, no, you're not.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't rely on it even if you believe it covers you.  It is supposed to cover most fed COs, but I know of more than one who have been arrested anyways.  CCW permits are cheap and easy in most states.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I am state of Oregon DOC CO so I guess not then oh well I still have an CC permit. Thanks anyways guys
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a Correctional Officer for the State of Iowa. My facility, Iowa Medical and Classification Center (IMCC) is in Johnson County Iowa the home of the University of Iowa. We are sworn officers, but since Johnson County is extremely liberal and anti-gun, and our Warden and Deputy Warden are from JC, they will not issue us credentials  or advise us whether we qualify for LEOSA.  They won't even tell us our badge numbers or issue us badges.  We have to purchase our own badges.  Being this close to Illinois, it would be nice have the LEOSA protection when I have to go to Chicago, or East St. Louis. It would nice if we could even get a determination of whether we qualify or not. So far though, my ID and purchased badge has sufficed when the question has arisen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top