Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:03:36 AM EDT
Just a heads up for you guys if this pistol isn't already on your radar, it should be. I just retired my glocks after
nearly 24 years otj, something I never thought would or even could happen, but from the first shot I could tell this
P320 was something special, already ordered the compact to complement the full size which will replace my
G19 as secondary, and the subcompact will be rolled out at SHOT.
You might be thinking, yawn, another plastic striker fired glockalike looking to win back some of the 70% LE
market that glock has a stranglehold on, well you would be right and wrong, right that it will eventually put a
serious dent in that 70% but wrong that it's just another plastic striker fired service pistol aimed at LE/MIL.
Not going to go into a whole romance novel about how laser beam accurate it is or how my splits and drills
improved instantly or how the trigger is better than anything I've ever felt including aftermarket striker triggers,
I'll just say go check one out, better yet shoot one, if not just stay tuned, you'll be hearing more about them.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Holsters?  Yah, not so much.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Huh?  Is Op serious or drunk?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Comparison pics to a G17?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I doubt I will give up my Glock, but I will take a look.  It is clearly bigger, thicker, and heavier.  Further, it will certainly cost more.
I strongly doubt it will replace my 17.

I am not a fan of weapons with a high bore axis, and Sig is that which is measured on the "how high I can put a bore axis scale, Sig being a 10, and Glock being a 1."

However, and again, I will take a hard look at it with only a mildy jaundiced eye...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I'll stick to my 226
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Couple things guys, holsters. Blackpoint Tactical has you covered if your talking kydex, as does safariland for duty rigs.

The bore axis just kind of goes away after the first mag and then you completely forget it, even a 23 year glock guy.
It's not really bigger than a G17/22, same length slide, same width etc, the only part that's fatter is the more rounded
grip which simply feels better ergonomically than the flat sided glock grip, I use the VP9 as the benchmark for grip
ergonomics and it's an irrefutable fact that round fits the human hand better than flat. It's a couple ounces heavier
than the G17/22 but I cant discern that without a scale.
I ran P226 on duty for a couple years before the .40 was rolled out and we switched to the G22/23 department wide,
in all the years that followed I was never as accurate with the glocks nor was I anywhere near as fast  as I was in SA
with the 226, but when it counted most the glock made sure I made it home so I never strayed.
As soon as I picked up the 320 it felt to me like it had a lower bore axis than the 226, and now like I said it just went
away and I don't even notice it anymore, I find myself picking up my glocks and pointing them now and instead of the
sights being lined up I see the top of the slide, and that's after 23 years with them and only one week with the P320.

Bottom line, not trying to sell anyone on this pistol, not shilling for SIG and have no skin in the game, just sharing my
experience which I think is significant given the timeframe and round count on the glock platform, we all have to choose
the sidearm that we are most comfortable and most effective with, then train till the brass reaches to the sky. Unless your
department prohibits personally owned pistols you owe it to yourself to take this thing for a spin, be safe.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I told somebody a while back that this gun was too aesthetically similar to the 250 for Sig not to have done something majorly better with it.  I am keeping an eye out on this gun and think it has major potential.  The reviews all over seem to be positive for it so far.  

They even submitted it to the MHS trials for the .mil.

Ill watch with cautious optimism and see how it pans out.  

I am mandated to Glock 40 right now but will keep an eye out on these for awhile.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's another writeup done by a solid dude>

http://www.ontargetmagazine.com/featured/sig-sauer-p320
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It would have to be something earth-shattering in improvement for me to switch from my G17.  Capacity, durability, accuracy, price, weight, felt recoil are the important parameters, and it's tough to beat Glock in any of those.  I'll reserve judgement on this thing until it's out a couple of years and I've played with one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
We got one last week from the LE distributor to test.  I shot one a few weeks ago at a customer appreciation day that the same distributor put on and it shot pretty good.  I am going to put it through the paces next week to see if it chokes.  If it holds up, I am going to bring the best and worst shooters in the agency to see how they do with it.

Still a little un sure about swapping over right now, especially since there wont be duty holsters available until December/January according to the Sig rep.  I have convinced the Chief, a non shooter, that we need to upgrade from  our worn out Gen 3 G22's, just not sure the 320 is the way to go yet.

I may update next week after we put a few thousand rounds through it and give my thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Please do
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm glad that you found something that you really like, but unless it costs less than a Glock to buy and maintain, it's going nowhere in American law enforcement.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#14]
This gun was used at the CT SWAT Challenge this year for the open pistol event (9mm).

I went into it thinking it was going to suck like the 250, but I, as well as many guys from my team were quite impressed with the trigger and accuracy. None of us had ever touched it before.  They also gave away about 10 of them at the dinner.

With that said, I wouldnt trade any of my Glocks for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
The compact showed up the other day, and I must say, as much as I like the full sized this compact is even sweeter, I cant
seem to put it down, just the perfect size package for everything, if I could only keep one this would have to be it.
Here it is next to my G19 gen4, the size differences are almost impossible to detect, but they way they feel in the hand
couldn't be more different. It's official now, my glocks are safe queens.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Another writeup by a really cool and highly skilled dude just posted up, be sure and read his bio at the end of the article>

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=12268
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I also thought it looked too much like the P250, which was a turd that looked like a gun.

Waiting for cost and reliability reports.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Another review by another solid dude, again, bio at the end of the article, follow up article to this coming any day>

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=9691#more-9691
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Bore axis kills it for me personally, if I wanted to carry something with a high bore axis I would just carry my P226

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Bore axis is a mirage in the desert, created by Gaston Glock, you never heard anyone complaining about bore axis on a 1911.
Or a Browning High Power, or a Beretta 92 or even a P226 until the Glock came out, now everyone is indoctrinated to the low
bore axis bullshit, I call it: "inglocktrination".

This thing gets back on target much faster than my glocks, and the reset lets me go way faster on splits, I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]
My dept. is seriously looking at these to replace our aging Glock 22's.  They've decided to do some testing... so there may be something to it.  All I know is that my 9 year old G22 has over 10,000 rnds through it and probably deserves to be retired at some point.  I'm damn glad that we stayed the hell away from the M&P's when they were offering us "free" change outs.  I hate the M&P, mostly due to the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:05:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Would you mind checking back in with the results of the testing?

I'm at around 800rds down the pipe of the full size and about 450 or so with the compact, loving them more with each round.

Here's the newest review from another old timer, again, bio at the end of the article>>>

http://www.gundigest.com/guns/sig-sauer-p320c-review
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]
As a guy that may get a 9mm in the near future, I'm following this thread
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Shot one in .40 several times in the last week. A herd of guys at work got 320s. The trigger is amazing. The recoil of the .40 is like a 9. The grip is comfy and the recoil is readily controllable on rapid fire strings. Made a 8 shot rapid fire index card size group @ 7 yds.  

The area Sig rep said they have a Range Officer program where they'll sell one 320 per department/agency for $250.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#25]
SIG designed this pistol for one purpose and one purpose only, that is to take on glock head to head for the LE market.
Lots of guys trying them for the first time at the roundup this week, reactions have all been the same, especially from
the hardcore 1911 guys, the accuracy, grip angle and the super crisp trigger and ultra short reset are the key elements.

Going from my own experience as a 23yr glock guy I'd say it's an inevitability that the P320 eventually takes the biggest
slice of the LE pie that glock now claims as 65% of the total LE market but probably closer to 70%, two reasons why, not
only does it do everything better, it increases operator proficiency (by what percentage will have to be studied) and the
sheer modularity of the weapon system is just something that cant be matched by anything else.

Think about it from an administrative standpoint, everyone from a 100lb female rookie with tiny hands and zero firearms
experience to a 220lb swat team leader who's been running glocks for 20 years can find their perfect match with this P320
system, from a full size version with the large grip module to a compact with the small grip module and everything in between.
And then from an armorer's standpoint what could be a simpler weapons system to support, most of the parts that could
fail are within  the fire control group which can be swapped out in seconds, no detailed stripping, no tiny springs or plastic
retainers to lose, the whole thing is ingenious when you think about it.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I believe you said you have no skin in the game but it seems you are pushing the Sig heavy. At present I only have 1 Sig 290RS and it took replacing the trigger to get it close to the Kahr trigger. It is also heavy for the size it is competing in but the PM9 to me was not a pocket gun so that didn't change my mind on the 290. I now like the 290 only because it was several hundred under the Kahr PM9. I have held the new Sig but have not had a chance to shoot one yet but on feel alone it didn't leave me with the feeling of putting my 19 in the safe, The jury is still out with me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#27]
OP, are you certain you don't work for Sig?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Like I said, not a shill, no skin in the game, but I am rooting for SIG who may be my favorite manufacturer in the business.

Products like this P320 that I believe will eventually turn the glock tide, the MPX which will replace the MP5 and UMP in
every application you can think of where a pistol caliber subgun is the preferred tool. The MCX which will surely be a huge
player in the SBR realm and their new line of suppressors designed by the man himself, the 716LW coming soon that will
be a 1/2 moa, sub 9lb DMR masterpiece at a price that will make the LaRue and KAC guys cringe, SIG is kicking serious ASS.

And how can you not support a company that introduces the SIG brace and literally changes the industry overnight, creating
the everyman's SBR, and then sues ATF for overstepping it's authority?

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock changed the game with the polymer, striker fired design. Steyr, Smith, and rest followed along making simple changes but nothing that dramatic over the original design. Now decades later the 320 comes out with simple changes from the original Glock design. Don't see this as a game changer just another choice in the handgun market.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Department cost per weapon?

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#31]
That's gonna be determined on a case by case basis I would bet, the larger the department the more bargaining power they
will have, then you have to factor in a trade in program if needed, or simplest is to just approve the weapon for individual officer
purchase which will be another program.

The guy to answer all of those questions would be Matt Farkas, LE director>                [email protected]

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Is the Sig a striker fired pistol?

Unfortunately our department is talking to reps to see about possibly replacing our G17's.

From what I've heard, Smith, HK, Sig and Glock are in the running.

Used to carry the big, ugly, blocky, cumbersome, heavy, un-ergonomic USP and I hated it.  I'm hoping we stay away from hammer guns and just stick to the Glocks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is the Sig a striker fired pistol?

Unfortunately our department is talking to reps to see about possibly replacing our G17's.

From what I've heard, Smith, HK, Sig and Glock are in the running.

Used to carry the big, ugly, blocky, cumbersome, heavy, un-ergonomic USP and I hated it.  I'm hoping we stay away from hammer guns and just stick to the Glocks.
View Quote

Yes. The P320 is a striker gun
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Went to local gun store in St. Louis and the LE price for the carry model 320 was $545.00. In this store the price for a Glock 9 or 40 is $425.00. Full disclosure on the Glock that's without NS $485.00 with.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Went to local gun store in St. Louis and the LE price for the carry model 320 was $545.00. In this store the price for a Glock 9 or 40 is $425.00. Full disclosure on the Glock that's without NS $485.00 with.
View Quote

The Sig IOP price for the 320 carry model is $473 for contrast sights, $532 for night sights.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bore axis is a mirage in the desert, created by Gaston Glock, you never heard anyone complaining about bore axis on a 1911.
Or a Browning High Power, or a Beretta 92 or even a P226 until the Glock came out, now everyone is indoctrinated to the low
bore axis bullshit, I call it: "inglocktrination".

This thing gets back on target much faster than my glocks, and the reset lets me go way faster on splits, I'm not the only one.
View Quote

While I agree that how high the bore is doesn't make a huge difference as the mechanical movement is in the slide. The height between your grip and the force of the mechanical movement of the slide does make a slight difference.  It's just physics.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The bore axis just kind of goes away after the first mag and then you completely forget it...
View Quote

IDK, it still looks too high.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I have 850rds down the pipe of the full size so far, all with a light mounted and 450rds on the compact with no light.
Both have less muzzle flip than my G17 and G19 respectively. My splits are so much faster it's silly, part of why is
how controllable they are, the rest is because of that trigger and the reset. I pick up my glocks now and run the same
drills I feel like a monkey fucking a football, high bore axis is a myth, run them back to back and see for yourself.

And yet, as great as all that is, the thing that really astounds me about these pistols is the accuracy, I'm talking hand
fitted match grade 1911 type accuracy out of the box, I know I know, I still cant believe it myself, but if you go back to
pg1 and read Arik's test you'll see I'm not the only one, friggin tack driver. Gonna run another 400rds with the compact
this week and see how it does at 50yds compared to the full size.

One other point I forgot to mention is how much easier they are to operate with gloves on, not a big deal for the commercial
market, but the P320 wasn't designed for the commercial market.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top