Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 9:53:33 PM EDT
Applying for the fire department. Before I start....I am curious if any of those who are FFs whether volunteer or full time will chim in on
someone my age starting down the road to be a full on FF.

Physically I am fit and even though slowing down.....I can still run circles around a lot of younger kids.

ETA: I can still pass the Navy PRT test with flying colors. 100 pushups in 2 min, 100 situps in 2 min and 1.5 mile run in 8.5 -9 mins at 5300' elevation  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Your not too old and if you are in the shape that you posted you would be able to pass the physical portion of the entry exam. As a "new" firefighter on a paid department you are going catch shit and have to run chow among a bunch of other new guy duties. Some older employees have difficulties in being the "new guy". You need to seriously ask yourself why you want to be a firefighter. None of the movies or TV shows are close to what it's really like. Most paid departments won't allow you to even test if you are not already an EMT, so if you don't already have it you need to look into getting it.

The requirements for being a volunteer are not as complicated, a lot of communities have difficulty getting enough.

I'm a Captain and coming up on my 19th year anniversary on the department that I work for. I absolutely love my career and work with a awesome group of people. It's not all puppies and rainbows and you probably won't get rich doing it, but it's a very rewarding career, lots of laughs (and gruesome shit), and you definitely see a side to the city you live in that you really didn't know was there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]

/\ this. The biggest issue with "older or mature" new hires is their ability to take orders from twentysomethings. I have seen it work out and I've seen it fail miserably. Alot depends on you. EMS cert gives you a boost in hiring and is required for the vast majority of agencies. Some states/agencies also have maximum age limits for new hires. If you can handle the above go for it. I would do it over again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your not too old and if you are in the shape that you posted you would be able to pass the physical portion of the entry exam. As a "new" firefighter on a paid department you are going catch shit and have to run chow among a bunch of other new guy duties. Some older employees have difficulties in being the "new guy". You need to seriously ask yourself why you want to be a firefighter. None of the movies or TV shows are close to what it's really like. Most paid departments won't allow you to even test if you are not already an EMT, so if you don't already have it you need to look into getting it.

The requirements for being a volunteer are not as complicated, a lot of communities have difficulty getting enough.

I'm a Captain and coming up on my 19th year anniversary on the department that I work for. I absolutely love my career and work with a awesome group of people. It's not all puppies and rainbows and you probably won't get rich doing it, but it's a very rewarding career, lots of laughs (and gruesome shit), and you definitely see a side to the city you live in that you really didn't know was there.
View Quote

Im back to being the new guy.... I stopped my electricians apprenticeship years ago so that isnt an issue. I do all the bullshit duty now.

I have fought a couple fires while in the Navy (both suited up for it and not suited up), I understand that TV etc isnt like the real thing. I have a couple buddies who are full time FF.

I appreciate the reply and if I have nmore questions, can i IM you etc?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

/\ this. The biggest issue with "older or mature" new hires is their ability to take orders from twentysomethings. I have seen it work out and I've seen it fail miserably. Alot depends on you. EMS cert gives you a boost in hiring and is required for the vast majority of agencies. Some states/agencies also have maximum age limits for new hires. If you can handle the above go for it. I would do it over again.
View Quote

I have a friend who used to teach EMT and she said she is going to steer me in the right direction for getting started....not that its difficult but she is cool as hell and hot too boot!!!!!

As above, I can be a Beta male and an Alpha and I have taken orders from much younger guys who had me do shit just bcse it was part of the initiation so to speak of new guys both on the rigs and as an EA.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Do it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Check with the area you want to get hired.  Some places have age restrictions.   I just got hired on at 40 so I say go for it!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone. In CO I need EMT cert, FF 1 and obviously pass the CPAT then I can be hired on for volunteer or FT. Denver FD is testing in 2015 for 2016 hires but I a. Going to apply for every department within 75-100 miles of Denver andgo from there.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#9]
You should also go to the library and/or book store and look into those "Firefighter Exam" type books. They won't really help you study for the test but they will get you back into that test taking mind set and will refresh those math/reading/English skills that you may not have used since high school or college.

For a paid department there is basically 4 parts of the process to get hired: written test, physical test, interview, back ground check (and probably some kind of psych exam).

Don't get frustrated, it is highly competitive! Expect a lot of your competition to have Fire Science Degrees and years of volunteer experience.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]
You'll be fine. I went through academy with a guy in his late 30's he did perfectly. If you are in shape you will have no problems.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Go for it! It's an absolutely amazing career with plenty of off the time for side activities or jobs.

Oldest guy in my academy class was 47 and did just fine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Talked with my Boss about it as he is former Army and former LEO turned Master Electrician and he supports me 100%. Said he will work with schooling, testing and interviewing process. Mentioned some cash for schooling as my GI Bill has long expired. Also said on my days off when I get full time he will let me work still for him!!!!

Excited to get the ball rolling. Even if I Volunteer for 5-10 years....still excited.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Go for it!!!

I'm 37 and just recently joined my vol fire dept and love it.
I'm in decent shape but it helps motivate me to get in even better shape.

To be honest, I'd love to go full time but just can't make the paycut.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm 41. Gonna be done with EMT 13 Dec. I was gonna go to paramedic to flight medic, but I may be a firefighter for a few years inbetween. I'm retiring from active duty AF after 23 years.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The only issue you may run into, age-wise, is many departments have upper age limits due to retirement/pension issues. Most I have seen are around 36/37.

Otherwise, I've seen plenty of motivated older guys do just fine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top