BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

sounds like a course ment for VERY basic training.
safety comes off when entering a threat area, doesnt go back on until all threats are gone.
you SHOULD train how you fight. and everyone should be wearing armor anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any opinion on this? Course of fire for AR15 rifle is 10 rds standing 5 rds kneeling and 5 rounds prone. Firearms instructor wants the safety engaged before going to the kneel and prone. I agree prior to running with rifle to the next station but from a fixed position?

safety comes off when entering a threat area, doesnt go back on until all threats are gone.

Kyle Lamb, and every other instructor I have trained with, teaches engaging the safety before any movement, even switching shoulders. I also subscribe to sights/on safety off, sights off/safety on, method.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Kyle Lamb teaches engaging the safety before any movement, even switching shoulders. I also subscribe to sights/on safety off, sights off/safety on, method.

View Quote
Yep, so do the tac instructors here.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any opinion on this? Course of fire for AR15 rifle is 10 rds standing 5 rds kneeling and 5 rounds prone. Firearms instructor wants the safety engaged before going to the kneel and prone. I agree prior to running with rifle to the next station but from a fixed position?

One reason that they teach that is simply so that you get into the habit of flipping the safety off EVERY SINGLE TIME, because that keeps people from forgetting to take off the safety, and having a "stall" at the wrong moment.  Kind of like making sure that your thumb is laying on the safety of a 1911.

Even if you walk around with the safety off, you still should be making sure that it's off every time you're ready to put finger on trigger.  Otherwise, sooner or later, you'll try to pull the trigger and wonder why the gun isn't firing.

And for the hot shots that say that they can leave the safety off while moving because they make sure that nothing gets into their trigger guard... more than one person has been killed when they had that attitude, and managed to trip over something.  If you're off in a war zone and want to put your and your buddies at risk, well, OK.  But in a training class, just buck up and do things safely.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Google Kennith Walker Columbus, Ga.  Safety off discharge kills inocent man, almost sends deputy to prison.

God forbid if the safety was off because it was an MP5.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Safety is very non-user-friendly.

It's often operated by the support hand to ensure the correct fire selection, which makes it near impossible to operate in a dynamic situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We train with off on target back on when off target.

And just saying, I believe the Columbia PD SRT team here in Missouri still runs MP5s. Never handled one so I am not familiar with the safety switch.

Safety is very non-user-friendly.

It's often operated by the support hand to ensure the correct fire selection, which makes it near impossible to operate in a dynamic situation.

The selector on the UMP is more shooter-friendly, at least as far as disengaging from the safety position, but it's still kind of a long reach for the thumb.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Does anyone still use those...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem lies predominantly with teams that also run MP5s, since the safety cannot be easily manipulated coming on and off target.

They're still around, but as a specialized tool for certain situations, mostly.  They've been pretty well supplanted by AR-types for general usage.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

its a possibility, but a slim one. moving through a home or business is alot different then moving through thick brush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but I see it as unnecessary unless you have the habit of keeping your finger on the trigger when you are not shooting.
finger outside the trigger guard=no bang.
in our training, flip off safety when stacking up, flip it back on when building is clear.

Stuff never gets caught inside your trigger guard when you're moving?

its a possibility, but a slim one. moving through a home or business is alot different then moving through thick brush.

Your criminals must be a lot tidier than ours.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They're still around, but as a specialized tool for certain situations, mostly.  They've been pretty well supplanted by AR-types for general usage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem lies predominantly with teams that also run MP5s, since the safety cannot be easily manipulated coming on and off target.

Guess it depends on where.

Just about every tactical team in the still area uses them as much as or more than the ARs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with your instructor, and have always practiced "sights off target, safety on" - "sights back on target, safety off".

Now if the course of fire is a timed course of fire, and the addition of the safety manipulation is causing people to not make time, the instructor needs to consider increasing the time, or having some remedial training.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless the trigger is going to be pulled the safety stays on.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
no reason to be on fire without a clean shot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in SF for over 2 decades. The weapon is on safe unless engaging targets. Period. Of course, we also shot on the move, but until a target was identified, the weapon was either at high or low ready, and on safe. I would like to think we were trained above a "very basic level".
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We still have a couple, but they rarely leave the tac truck. Being giant pistols that need Greedo-length thumbs to manipulate the selector, they just are not popular among the guys. And don't get me started on HK's customer service...
View Quote

Start?

I'm curious. I know they kind of have a rep of not caring about non government sales (dunno if that's true); but I thought their mil/ LE service would be top notch.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1 Sights on safety off. Sights off safety on.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Exactly this.  If the notion confuses you, go train some more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gun on target safety off, gun off target safety on.

Exactly this.  If the notion confuses you, go train some more.

I agree with this.  Use of the safety has to be so automatic that you don't even think about it.  The only way to have that happen is to practice engaging the safety.  

Anything that confuses your unconscious mind about what to do will (when to engage your safety) will only end up confusing you even more when you are under great stress.  If both conscious and unconscious mind know "Gun on target safety off, gun off target safety on" it will be OK.  

Anyone who says it takes too long to take off the safety while going from low ready to on target simply hasn't actually tried timing things with an electronic timer.  Sweeping the safety off as you come on target does NOT take any more time than coming on target with the safety off.  And it is a hell of a lot safer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The was a swat cop around here that put two rounds from an mp5 through his leg while clearing a house , caught on something on his vest .
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The was a swat cop around here that put two rounds from an mp5 through his leg while clearing a house , caught on something on his vest .
View Quote
Weapon down, ie off aim, safety on. Weapon up, on aim finger on trigger safety off, or covering a threat area, safety off finger outside the trigger guard. That was the last I was (recently) taught and I was comfortable with that.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top