Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2014 1:00:05 AM EDT
With the United States on the brink of a pandemic when would you abandon your post to keep you and (or) your family safe?  Pretty straight forward question.  Really for nothing more than shits and giggles.  So...when do you call it quits, fend for yourself, give up your pension/retirement, decide the world is over as we know it, and execute SHTF plan A-Z?

Stay safe folks.  It isn't getting any easier out there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:49:46 AM EDT
[#1]
NVM...
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
With the United States on the brink of a pandemic when would you abandon your post to keep you and (or) your family safe?  Pretty straight forward question.  Really for nothing more than shits and giggles.  So...when do you call it quits, fend for yourself, give up your pension/retirement, decide the world is over as we know it, and execute SHTF plan A-Z?

Stay safe folks.  It isn't getting any easier out there.
View Quote

We are already in a Pandemic.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
You might ask the guys that used to work for NOPD when Katrina hit New Orleans. I wasn't there, but there were news reports that marked police cars were found abandoned in Texas and that an "unknown number" of officers failed to report for duty.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
ScotchyMcDrinkerbean (insert thumbs up here) would be a good source of how to tough out a tough situation.
I'd love to read his full experiences and what he learned in an AAR, from pre, during and post Katrina.

IIRC, his punishment for sticking it out, was a promotion to Lieutenant.
Given that was the prize, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Jay
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I've actually thought about this and I'd say when all the other officers are gone/dispatchers are no longer at their posts. Dispatchers are civilians and they'd probably bail quick. Without them we've no way of knowing about any incoming 911 calls anyway.

I don't have a wife/kids and my other family I 'care' about is pretty much limited. I live in my precinct so assuming something was going down I could technically have the few family members I care about come to my house and I could be with them without actually 'abandoning' my post.

The idea of bugging out to some rural location is an unrealistic fantasy. If SHTF the people who are out driving around on the road in a vehicle loaded down with goodies will probably be the first to die. Why? Because unless you live in an already rural location your gonna spend many hours in gridlocked traffic. Plus most people's homes are the most secure/prepared place to withstand any kind of natural disaster or otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya I'm not a big fan of bugging out either. Id rather stay with what I have built.  I work for a smaller department in a town of about 17k. I was having some beers with guys discussing this. If Ebola goes into full swing and gets as bad as it can segregating yourself is one of the only options. Of course that doesn't go too well with our line of work...

I haven't come up with an answer for myself quite yet. I figure I'll adapt as the situation changes and evaluate what to do. If things get horrible our government's job is to action and keep our system intact.  We are all an extension of that. I just wonder a what point is it a lost cause. Hope it doesn't get to that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Firecop and AZ you both bring up real life response to my question, thanks. I'm interested now in reading up on that
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I will leave my post when orders become unconstitutional or I can no longer keep my family safe and work at the same time. When that time comes, it will not be a hard decision.
Until then, I chose to work the job. Despite what some think, cops keep the chaos at bay so me/others leaving only worsens the problem
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I honestly can't tell you. I have thought about it. I just haven't come up with a good answer. The wife stops working when they put Ebola patients in regular rooms on her floor. I think it is easier to protect myself from it in an ambulance. I can always put on a tyvek and an scba. Not afraid to look crazy. So I don't know yet. We can pay bills on my salary, not with us both not working.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
When departmental cohesion disintegrates to where there is no remaining chain of command or communication capability
At that point I take my patrol car home and park it out back and wait for better days to return.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will leave my post when orders become unconstitutional or I can no longer keep my family safe and work at the same time. When that time comes, it will not be a hard decision.
Until then, I chose to work the job. Despite what some think, cops keep the chaos at bay so me/others leaving only worsens the problem
View Quote

I completely agree with you.  I think if people see Police, fire, ems, military etc abandoning our positions they will believe that all is lost and that will exacerbate the situation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd guess a lot of us think how bad could it get before we bail, but the reality is we'd probably stick out a lot of BS just to avoid abandoning our buddies.  Like mentioned, we keep the chaos at bay.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd guess a lot of us think how bad could it get before we bail, but the reality is we'd probably stick out a lot of BS just to avoid abandoning our buddies.  Like mentioned, we keep the chaos at bay.
View Quote

Absolutely, but at some point everyone has to agree to fall back to the office and come up with a plan so that noone is left out there unaccounted for
As someone mentioned, once the dispatch capability goes down and you lose a lot of resources you normally draw on, it hampers your ability to be effective
if you arrest someone you can't take them to jail without a judge. Heck, you can't even arraign them anymore here without counsel present.
If you manage to get a judge and a lawyer, good luck getting the jail to accept them if they are themselves running on skeleton shifts. So on and so on
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When departmental cohesion disintegrates to where there is no remaining chain of command or communication capability
At that point I take my patrol car home and park it out back and wait for better days to return.
View Quote

But, wouldn't that be the time to re-organize, regroup and establish a leadership role?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But, wouldn't that be the time to re-organize, regroup and establish a leadership role?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My original post assumed there was no functional organization to lead anymore.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a volunteer, certified reserve.  It would be real easy for me to chock up the dueces.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#18]
This has come up recently and you can tell the guys who are devoted to the job and their partners and the guys who are just there. Alot of us say that unless everyone goes none of us would go. Some say that as soon as things got bad they would head home.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]
The answer is simple.  I don't abandon your community/post.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The answer is simple.  I don't abandon your community/post.
View Quote

There comes some point when you can no longer perform your tasks
If I don't have fuel for my car, I can't patrol.
I have good neighbors, but if I choose patrolling over my family/ home and my home is  looted due to being gone, it makes no sense to have made that choice
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#21]
For Ebola? No.
For Biblical super flu? Maybe.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Absolutely, but at some point everyone has to agree to fall back to the office and come up with a plan so that noone is left out there unaccounted for
As someone mentioned, once the dispatch capability goes down and you lose a lot of resources you normally draw on, it hampers your ability to be effective
if you arrest someone you can't take them to jail without a judge. Heck, you can't even arraign them anymore here without counsel present.
If you manage to get a judge and a lawyer, good luck getting the jail to accept them if they are themselves running on skeleton shifts. So on and so on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd imagine if it were that bad it'd be beat and release or shoot on sight to keep order...Basically the wolves taking advantage of the sheep would be open season.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd imagine if it were that bad it'd be beat and release or shoot on sight to keep order...Basically the wolves taking advantage of the sheep would be open season.
View Quote

I don't think the transition will be that smooth or quick
It'll take some time for the publics mentality to change from " I'm picking up the phone and calling 911" to "kick this guys ass and deal with the problem on our own"
There will be a large percentage of the public who simply wont be able to shift those gears
Its why the police organizations exist now. Plenty of people in society who don't want to bear the responsibility of their own security
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It'll take some time for the publics mentality to change from " I'm picking up the phone and calling 911" to "kick this guys ass and deal with the problem on our own"
There will be a large percentage of the public who simply wont be able to shift those gears
Its why the police organizations exist now. Plenty of people in society who don't want to bear the responsibility of their own security
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I was talking about the police, not the public. If no jails or judges/courts that'd be the short time solution.  With no dispatch I'd imagine centralised patrols with Sgt's and higher acting as our quasi dispatchers to keep tabs on where everyone is at.
i
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:44:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah I was talking about the police, not the public. If no jails or judges/courts that'd be the short time solution.  With no dispatch I'd imagine centralised patrols with Sgt's and higher acting as our quasi dispatchers to keep tabs on where everyone is at.
i
View Quote

Our dispatch center is not in our building
As I said, the issue of fuel would come up pretty quick
We dumped our own tanks 20 years ago due to EPA regs, and I've always expected that one day it would come back to  bite us when things are not "normal course of business"
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We dumped our own tanks 20 years ago due to EPA regs, and I've always expected that one day it would come back to  bite us when things are not "normal course of business"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i

Be back on horses! ...too bad most departments are losing there mounted divisions too.  Damn.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd probably get locked in, if we had a confirmed case of ebola in the jail. It's hard to abandon ship when they won't open the door.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Be back on horses! ...too bad most departments are losing there mounted divisions too.  Damn.
View Quote

That would require a huge materiel acquisition and training curve since only one deputy owns horses and only two of us have any experience with horses and mine was 35 years ago

If it came to that I believe society would pretty much be in the toilet because a mounted officer is only going to be able to patrol within a few miles of his current location
The days of having a quarter or a half of the county as a patrol zone would be finished
A growing number of our officers don't even live in our county, so you'd have to physically move them close to the office just to have a place for them to stay

You'd be better off converting some of the fleet to alternative fuels
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd probably get locked in, if we had a confirmed case of ebola in the jail. It's hard to abandon ship when they won't open the door.
View Quote

They gonna weld your sally ports closed?
We always had emergency rings of keys to get through any doors
Realistically one case of ebola in your facility, they'll do exactly what they're doing now with individual cases
If your control room starts looking like the lunch room in The Stand then you've got some issues
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Realistically one case of ebola in your facility, they'll do exactly what they're doing now with individual cases
If your control room starts looking like the lunch room in The Stand then you've got some issues
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously I can't get to far into it. But in the age of new jails, physical keys are limited and more easily controled. It's not like the old days where every officer had a key to everything.

They have already shown they will absolutely "lock down" in a possible case of ebola.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Obviously I can't get to far into it. But in the age of new jails, physical keys are limited and more easily controled. It's not like the old days where every officer had a key to everything.

They have already shown they will absolutely "lock down" in a possible case of ebola.
View Quote

Back in my CO days the emergency ring sets were kept in the control room
Not like every floor CO had every key to the building
I am sure things have changed
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't mean to imply they had keys to every door in the building. Sorry about that. With the computer controls they have on everything here, if the emergancy keys were snatched by a supervisor before I could get them, I wouldn't be able to make it off the floor. Even if I did get out, I couldn't get out of the perimeter fence without the control room opening the gate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i

Neither is ours, but using radios and computers, or even pad and paper, they could go old school and keep track of us.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Neither is ours, but using radios and computers, or even pad and paper, they could go old school and keep track of us.
View Quote

I doubt that many of ours would even show up for work if it was anything more than a temporary problem.
I don't think they even have a generator to power their stuff .
I might be wrong
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top