Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2014 11:41:22 PM EDT
So I've been in the hiring process for 3 different local PDs since the beginning of the year........

One, I haven't heard from whatsoever since I did my physical agility test, and turned in my background packet in June.

The other, I'm waiting to get a call to come in for a polygraph......and apparently, even though I have MIL service, scored great on the physical test, and scored a 93% on the written exam, I'm only ranked as "average" overall, so I don't think I'll be getting selected for that dept.

The other PD, I just did my Polygraph for, passed/was found as "No deception indicated", so I now my packet goes to the civil service commission, and if they sign off on my packet, I'll have an interview with the chief, and he will then decide who he wants to hire from the pool of applicants.

I'm not going to lie - the months of not hearing anything is painstaking........especially since one of the main reasons I got out of the military was to pursue Law Enforcement, which I've wanted to do since I was a kid.

There are times where I wonder if I should've just stayed in the Army, sucked it up, and did my 20 years as an Infantryman.......but I suppose nothing good comes easy.

Any thoughts/advice?

I just applied for a state level Department of Corrections job, and I just applied for U.S. Border Patrol via USAJOBS.GOV, but that's another 18 month hiring process to get into.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
On USA jobs has there been a listing for U.S. Marshals.  In the past they have hired vets even when they were not "testing" for a pool of applicants.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On USA jobs has there been a listing for U.S. Marshals.  In the past they have hired vets even when they were not "testing" for a pool of applicants.
View Quote

Therein lies my issue - don't most Federal agencies want people with college degrees?

As an active duty Infantryman for the last 8 years, I never had the time to take classes towards a degree, like the other jobs in the Army were/are able to do.

I was always out in the field doing training or deployed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#3]
That is a unique thing about the U.S. Marshals Service. They in the past have in fact hired military and former LE who did not have college degrees. It was the only agency that would hire 1811 series investigators without college degrees and not having a degree did not hinder promotion to upper management.

I can not speak to the current practice of a college degree. My personal knowledge of such practice ended late 2006. Prior to that I knew of three DUSM in one district streamlined into the test and hired, and I think at least one of them had no college degree.

It may be worth your time to look into this. In any case... good luck!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been trying for three years
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:49:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been trying for three years
View Quote

Its definitely not an overnight process......the main thing that bugs me, is the fact that I gave up a very comfortable lifestyle and income to pursue a career in law enforcement....sometimes I question as to whether or not I should have actually done this,  or if I should've just stayed in the military...... Oh well. No going back now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't beat yourself up too much. Put your name in more hats and eventually your name will get picked. Just make sure it's a department you actually want to work for rather than being stuck at an agency that sucks. A P.D. with civil service offers the best chance of getting on. You get veteran's preference points which helps as far as the selection process goes. You will get hired on by someone eventually. Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to college?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Go to college?
View Quote

This.  Have numerous friends in LE.  Every single one of them has a degree.  Even though departments may not require a degree, in this economy they can get them.  Most departments around here are wanting at least an associates.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Move to Birmingham. We're always hiring.

Plus, it counts toward your time in Hell.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I also have a few applications lost in the stage of "background investigation" for a good 2-3+ months now.

My current department hired me a week and a half after the first interview.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep at it.  It took me 2.5 years and applying to over 40 different municipal and federal departments to finally get my dream job. I know others that have been trying for over 5.  Its as much a test of how bad you want it as it is your eligibility for hire.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I was in a similar situation. I got out of the Marines in 2008, infantry as well. I ended up going to school with the GI bill. Painfully boring but worth it. I got done wth school and got turned down on a department I was completely qualified for. Had a degree, with great grades, a well established background from the mitary and then I got dropped after passing the polygraph. I was pretty pissed off too but in the end found a better department.  

Don't beat yourself up too much. I probably had 8 applications out at one time so it can't hurt to keep putting your name out there. Try to get some face time in departments doing ride alongs etc. you should also evaluate the degree. Might become a norm in departments to require a college degree for promotions. There are also educational incentives for most places.

I'm sure you will get to where you want to be and you have chosen a great career path.  Try not to dwell on the past, you'll get there
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Here in Nashville there is a continuous application process, the city is growing so fast and is consistently in high ranking popular polls as the next "up and coming" place to be. The PD here in metro has a very generous budget supported nicely by the mayor and we've hired a ton in the past few years. They do their apps using neogov over at www.nashville.gov check it out
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I've been in the hiring process for 3 different local PDs since the beginning of the year........

One, I haven't heard from whatsoever since I did my physical agility test, and turned in my background packet in June.

The other, I'm waiting to get a call to come in for a polygraph......and apparently, even though I have MIL service, scored great on the physical test, and scored a 93% on the written exam, I'm only ranked as "average" overall, so I don't think I'll be getting selected for that dept.

The other PD, I just did my Polygraph for, passed/was found as "No deception indicated", so I now my packet goes to the civil service commission, and if they sign off on my packet, I'll have an interview with the chief, and he will then decide who he wants to hire from the pool of applicants.

I'm not going to lie - the months of not hearing anything is painstaking........especially since one of the main reasons I got out of the military was to pursue Law Enforcement, which I've wanted to do since I was a kid.

There are times where I wonder if I should've just stayed in the Army, sucked it up, and did my 20 years as an Infantryman.......but I suppose nothing good comes easy.

Any thoughts/advice?

I just applied for a state level Department of Corrections job, and I just applied for U.S. Border Patrol via USAJOBS.GOV, but that's another 18 month hiring process to get into.
View Quote

lol, I would Kill to be in your shoes. I just took my Psych test for a department I applied to in 2011. I'm still waiting.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

lol, I would Kill to be in your shoes. I just took my Psych test for a department I applied to in 2011. I'm still waiting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts/advice?

I think the biggest thing that's running thru my mind with this is "Why?"

Why does a federal hiring process take less time than a local, or city PD?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been applying since the beginning of the year with 3 agencies and still no academy spot yet.

Didn't pass one poly (it was the first one I had ever taken and was nervous).

With another agency I took the written, physical, oral board, poly, medical, and psych...then a few weeks into a detective supposedly working my background they tell me "no thank you". Not sure if it was because I wasn't perfect on that poly, or some other issue. They never indicated why I was eliminated from the process.

Currently, the third agency I have applied with, and the one who's process I have been in the longest (written, physical, oral board, and background paperwork submitted in February) has me waiting. I have passed the polygraph and background investigation, just waiting on the next round of selections to be made so they can hopefully send me to the medical and psych tests. They are in need of sworn officers so I'm hopeful this will work out.

Anyway....all that to say what you're already aware of, it takes a while but good things to those who wait and all that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any thoughts/advice?

Most federal LEO positions are a long hiring process.  CBP, BP, and BOP seem to have a little bit faster than other departments, but FBI can take like 5 years.  I was in the CBP process for over two years.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
My current department took me more than 1.5 years to get hired at.  

My last department I was hired immediately....probably because there were lots of LE jobs available at the time and not enough applicants.  

Ever heard of patience?  You need it if you want to be a cop....and it doesn't seem like you have much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top