Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 3:07:13 PM EDT
We are getting a new building and are dealing with bids now. Our original plans consisted of items to increase our safety and have since drizzled down of course, cause more TV's in the break room are more important than our security. The most recent thing kicked off the plans is a perimeter fence. we originally had it going around our whole lot and gated entry into PD lot. They now just want to put in a little toll both type bar that lifts and drops to keep some honest vehicles out of the lot. With more and more attacks and ambushes happening on PD's, courthouses and barracks I feel it is essential to keep the fencing. I understand it is not cover but with the simple plastic pieces that can be placed into the fencing creates a visual barrier that can help assist is ensure our movements and times are not being closely watched. My point of the rant is asking if anyone else has done any proposals to increase their building security or have any resources they could forward me so I can write up a memo and push it up and hopefully show the importance of perimeter security. Thank you all in advance.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of the details might be better discussed in the secure officers forum but do you know what your budget is?  Several agencies in my area have built brand-new facilities with excellent security for surprisingly low (relatively) costs.  Security is paramount in this climate, and if you are building a new station, it is the perfect time to build in that security.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
We have lifting barriers and gates to our HQ.  Barriers have been broken since a month after they put them in, five years ago.  Gates are still good.  My station has a chainlink fence around the employee lot, but no wire on top, so we've actually had turds climb over and break into vehicles.  Cameras cover only the area next to the building and at actual entry points, not the whole perimeter.  I'm sure it's a fiscal issue, even though the city has a surplus.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]
We are getting a toll both gate arm installed soon, only problem is when people try to sneak under instead of waiting for it to cycle. Either snap the arm or scratch roof. The other problem we are facing is having a metal over head door closing the entrance. If it malfunctions, a chain that is attached to a pulley is used to raise it. For every two pulls, it moves about an inch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
We had zero security at the precinct level. Only HQ had real security and even that was flawed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some of the details might be better discussed in the secure officers forum but do you know what your budget is?  Several agencies in my area have built brand-new facilities with excellent security for surprisingly low (relatively) costs.  Security is paramount in this climate, and if you are building a new station, it is the perfect time to build in that security.
View Quote

I appreciate the insight. How do I gain access to secure forum? Would love some ideas on the low cost alternatives.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
We have two parking lots. One secured (Privacy fence + electronic gates) and the other is unfenced. We've had people burglarize units in the non-secured lot.

It terms of security against an actual threat meh. Electronic doors everywhere except to the lobby and he receptionist sits behind 'bulletproof glass'. If someone wanted to bad enough they could probably get in the building. Doubt they'd get far of course but they could probably get in. The unarmed building civilians would be at greatest risk.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I appreciate the insight. How do I gain access to secure forum? Would love some ideas on the low cost alternatives.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Email NorCal_LEO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top