Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2014 11:08:20 AM EDT
Mine has issued PPE kits in the form of N-95 masks, gown, gloves and goggles.

All firefighters who are assigned to EMS runs must wear long pants as well instead of shorts.

So what about you and your departments ( fire, EMS, police)?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing so far.  

I keep a couple different gas masks in my vehicle, lots of gloves, and Tyvek suits....for a variety of purposes, not just Ebola (we deal with some truly nasty people sometimes).
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
We are having an EMS in service with that subject right now. I don't really think much will change.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Same PPE as you, MEGG.

No extra training or supplies, we have enough for a total of two runs, one on the engine and a spare to restock the engine. Hopefully our supply people have more on hand. We use MEGG for shootings, stabbings, births,

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
We have had a whole lot of emails, memos, and directives sent about it, since we are a suburb of Dallas. We apparently have two folks on the 'watch list' that live in town.
They have given us a bunch of PPE and stuff, as well as plastic sheeting, etc, for the back of ambulance.

Frankly, if we get a possible ebola case, that can walk, they are getting themselves into the back of the ambulance and riding alone in the back to the ER.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have had a whole lot of emails, memos, and directives sent about it, since we are a suburb of Dallas. We apparently have two folks on the 'watch list' that live in town.They have given us a bunch of PPE and stuff, as well as plastic sheeting, etc, for the back of ambulance.

Frankly, if we get a possible ebola case, that can walk, they are getting themselves into the back of the ambulance and riding alone in the back to the ER.
View Quote

A. I freaking love that avitar!
B. thats some common sense medical care there. "What?  wait, WHAT!??!?!!! you have freaking Ebola! put yourself in the back of that ambulance and don't breathe till we get to the ER, then I'll take the ambulance to a field and burn it when we get done here...."
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing
They do a fit test with a 95 once a year for TB exposure, let us leave with the single mask we did the fit test with  and think they're covered liability-wise
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Ebola is about the last thing on my mind considering there are like 3 people with it in the US. I'm more worried about Hep or MRSA or even the flu
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#8]
We got an email with our "Ebola Procedure". Our dispatch is "pre-screening" with the CDC questions three. Should they identify a potential ebola Pt, one unlucky EMT (glad I got my P patch now) gets to make Pt contact and be the canary. We'll duct tape plastic in the box, and than get them to the hospital to be met by 2 security guards, a couple doctors, a couple nurses, someone from health and human services, and probably every reporter in the state...

It will be interesting when people realize that the initial symptoms are also the symptoms you get with the flu...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All firefighters who are assigned to EMS runs must wear long pants as well instead of shorts.

View Quote

From what I have read N95's are no bueno when it comes to Ebola. I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it.

J-
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Paid LE job has done absolutely nothing in regards to that.  

Volly FD is coming up with a plan. Already SOP for long pants and gloves, they probably will add masks to it coming up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Providing extra PPE? Getting us supplies?

They did give us a paper handout saying to use alcohol hand sanitizer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whoah, Somalia has the same protocol as NYC...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:59:39 AM EDT
[#14]
We stopped having sex with monkeys, should be good enough.  I'm just hoping not to run into the 3 people in the U.S. that are infected!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:32:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Received a power point presentation...the end.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh...The admin is talking about re-fitting a special truck for "EBOLA transports".
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#17]
They bought hazmat suits of somekind and put them in the Sgts office. No one has any training on their use though.

Even though we had an inmate claim exposure, thinking it would be a funny joke. The nurses in intake broke all policy and brought him over (actually walked with him over) to a housing unit and tried to have him put into a pod. Luckily, a floor nurse cought it and said "OH FUCK NO!" Facility was locked down for 30 minutes while everything was "cleared up" and the inmate was moved to an isolation cell. Two days later we got a memo read in detail with info on ebola and the suits put in the Sgts office.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Our Ems district and med control hospital is having a training this wed outlining the plan they have came up with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#19]
We got an email saying that our risk of exposure is lower than for EMS or FD and to not worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Issued this.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone have a definitive answer regarding N95 filters?

We're not issued anything, but I already own a MSA Millennium from ebay. It came with a sealed N95.

I don't think it does it though; I think you need SCBA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#22]
We finally got a ppe bin with a hooded face shield and tyvec suits. SCBA is already on the fire/medics and if faced with an Ebola patient, I might consider using it and doing a hot bottle swap if the transport is too long. I don't mind looking ridiculous if it keeps me from bleeding out of my eyes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We're not issued anything, but I already own a MSA Millennium from ebay. It came with a sealed N95.
View Quote

P100 HEPA cartridges on a Powered Air Purifying Respirator seems to be what the "isolation teams" are wearing. The issue seems to be more about the poor seal the standard N95 filter masks get compared to wearing a half or full face respirator using N95 or P100 cartridges.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
SCBA is overkill, you aren't going into an oxygen deficient environment. We did get some canisters that attached to our Scott SCBA masks though. Not sure exactly what they are.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#25]
We have been given Hepa masks to wear and N95 masks to put on the patient.  I still think it isn't the best as the Hepa is a squeeze fit but it is better than what we had before which was nothing.  We also received Tyvek suits and booties to wear.  Hope I don't have to find out how good this stuff works.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:39:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

We stopped having sex with monkeys, should be good enough.
View Quote
The plus side is it means more bananas for you

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top