Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 11:36:38 PM EDT
Here it is, time for another boots and gloves thread.

I need suggestions for size 15 duty boots.  They don't need to be insulated or waterproof.  They do need to be under $150.  I've many brands over the years.  Magnum, Rocky, Bates, Danner, Red Wing and others.  I'd still be wearing the Danner's if I wasn't allergic to them.  Boots last less than a year, so I'm always looking for my next pair.

Gloves last longer and that's a fine thing because really big search gloves are harder to find than size 15 boots.  Looking for cut and puncture resistant.  Last pair was Blackhawk XXL that I was able to stretch until they almost fit right.  I bought them on clearance and the style no longer appears to be available through them.  I've been looking for replacements for 9 months and the situation has become critical.  I've bought gloves from Turtleskin, Damascus, 5.11 etc and either returned then of passed them on to somebody else at work.  While my palm is only 5" across and fingers fairly proportional my entire hand looks like I spent my life doing farm and ranch work.  That's only because when not working for a living I helped to keep the the family farm up.   Maybe there is somebody else out there that can touch all four edges of a letter size piece of paper simultaneously with one hand.  Where in hell do you buy gloves?   Maybe somebody know a stitch bitch for hire that can fix me up for less than an arm & a leg...

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#1]
IM sent
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They do need to be under $150.

Boots last less than a year, so I'm always looking for my next pair.

View Quote

I worked a foot post walking for 12 hours days, in the concrete mecca of NYC, and it took a minimum of 2 years of exposure to that severe use such as chemicals, water, fences, etc... before e I had to consider replacing them.  And the only thing I did was cleaned an polished them every two weeks (not a parade or academy shine by any means).  But I paid a lot more than $150 for my boots. To each their own but if you are spending $150 twice a year, and have to go through the headache of spending time and worries finding a decent pair, why not just spend $300 or a little more and get a pair that last a lot longer?

One of my partners was allergic to leather.  He used Danners with the Crosstech liner (pulls moisture out and won't let it in), bought his own insoles and wore a high quality runners sock and never had an issue.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've dropped up to $400 on footwear.  Thing is, when you are talking size 15 you don't get to go try anything on and If I'm allergic it may not be evident for some weeks.  I can gamble a couple of times with $100-150 and not mind if I lose occasionally.  Buying a couple pair of Danners and ending up not being able to wear them makes you less inclined to take a risk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top