Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2014 6:58:37 PM EDT
I keep having issues with the dammits on my name tag catching on my body armor and popping off. I have even tried using erasers to keep my tag in place to no avail..

Does anybody have recommendations on any special dammits or ways of securing my name tag?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Magnets.  Velcro.

Tell your procurement guy to purchase a better design.  You are probably not the only one with the issue.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magnets.  Velcro.  

Tell your procurement guy to purchase a better design.  You are probably not the only one with the issue.  
View Quote

I would love Velcro but it's a no go here unfortunately. We have the name tags with the post and dammits and I don't think there will be any changes made to that piece of issued gear.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the name tag posts have one or two shallow grooves cut into them. I got a small needle file and scored those grooves deeper around the post and even cut another groove just behind the first.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I did some more researching and came across an item called pin locks. It slips over the end of the post and then you tighten it down with an allen wrench. I ordered some to try out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to the local sign shop or even trophy shop. They should have the magnetic name plates for like 4 bucks. You just have to break off the posts and epoxy the backing plate onto the back of the name tag and your done.   This is the best solution I've found and I'm no longer tearing holes in  my shirt from the name tag posts shifting around. The magnet bar will not catch on your vest inside your shirt. The only real down side is you should not use this method if you have a pace maker cause it screws up the device.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the rubber pin backs.  You can find them in black or yellow (and probably any other color you want).  The rubber seems to grip the pin better, and does not "catch" on your armor as easy.

Buy several
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:22:17 AM EDT
[#8]
a piece of cardboard, just a bit larger than the nameplate, between the shirt, and the dammits will help.

it holds the shirt tight to the name plate, and then some, for a smooth, professional appearance,

it also puts back pressure on the dammits, holding them tight to those little grooves in the pin where they lock in.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Go to ebay and search locking pin backs.  Fairly cheap for a bunch.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I use to cut a piece of web belt or an old patch to go between the clutches and my shirt.
This keeps it tight and straight.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

a piece of cardboard, just a bit larger than the nameplate, between the shirt, and the dammits will help.

it holds the shirt tight to the name plate, and then some, for a smooth, professional appearance,

it also puts back pressure on the dammits, holding them tight to those little grooves in the pin where they lock in.
View Quote

This man speaks the truth. Also, I really like these.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
If your wife buys any post style earrings, they come with a small rubber stopper on the posts to keep the actual earring backs from falling off during shipping and everything.  I have used those for years and never had one fall off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
All good options. "Dammits" degenerate after a while.  I like to use a panel cut from a plastic gallon milk jug.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used an expired credit card as a backer. Cut off the magnet strip, and impressed number, and use the space left between.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
If you would like a magnetic backed or pin backed one I could do it for you cheap. Send me a PM and we can figure something out.

I used to work at an engraving shop and still go in all the time and run random jobs for friends and my department.

Might take a while to respond as I don't check my .mil address all that often but I'll get to it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I ordered some of the locking pins to try out.

Quoted:
If you would like a magnetic backed or pin backed one I could do it for you cheap. Send me a PM and we can figure something out.

I used to work at an engraving shop and still go in all the time and run random jobs for friends and my department.

Might take a while to respond as I don't check my .mil address all that often but I'll get to it.
View Quote

Thank you for the offer, I really appreciate it but I'm going to give the locking pin backs a try first.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a cut section of a PBT straw.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use the rubber pin backs.  You can find them in black or yellow (and probably any other color you want).  The rubber seems to grip the pin better, and does not "catch" on your armor as easy.

Buy several
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my pin locks today. Going to put them on and see how they do tonight. Thanks for all of the recommendations!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I know you have already ordered and have your pin backs, but I figured I would share what I have done for the past year...

On my class A uni's I simply removed the section above the right breast pocket (rectangular section of material) used for the name tag with a stitch remover.

I then cut off and ground down the posts on my name tag using a dremel tool.

Grabbed some 3M industrial adhesive hook end velcro, and cut it to size.

Prepped the name plate with alcohol then applied the velcro to the back side of the plate.

Heated the plate up with a heat gun and then let it sit.

Then utilizing my trusty sewing machine, I added the same size loop end velcro to my uni shirts.

Bam.

It stays in place no matter what. It is a bit difficult to get off, due to the aggressive nature of the velcro, but I have yet to lose it, and it looks sharp as could be with nothing snagging my body armor...

I can post pics if need be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top