Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 12:52:52 PM EDT
My state has peace officers license plates for decorated officers. I was looking at the requirements, and I was awarded one of the required medals during my 10 years as a patrol officer (Distinguished Service, 2nd to the MOH)  . I now ride a desk and am loving it.

I usually don't like to attract attention, but the plates do not say anything about LE. Here is a pic:

It is tempting since I actually qualify for something

What do you guys think. Do it, or stay away from anything that can remotely ID me as a PO?

I will be getting this plate today and I think it looks pretty pimp:

ETA: The second plate is just a regular guy plate anyone can get.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I tend to stay away from things that make me a target.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a cool license plate, I'll admit. I personally wouldn't do it though unless maybe I was retired. Even then... Not so sure. It just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to advertise my LEO status. I've taken a lot of steps to get my personal information off of public lists. Doesn't do much good to announce to the world that I'm LE on my license plate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah. I had the same feelings about it even though the plate is pretty cryptic. It is actually pretty hard to find the plate and even as LE I did not know they even existed. I guess I will pass and just get the 150th year plate
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I would never put a LE plate or thin blue line sticker.

Buddy of mine has both and I'm like wtf. You ride around with the wife and 3 kids with LE identifiers all over your vehicle.

At the very least your liable to get keyed/tires slashed. I don't even wanna think bout a pissed off felon wanting to ambush a LEO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep I feel the same way as everyone else. I wouldn't do it. I don't wear anything police related off duty and there is nothing on my truck that is police related.

J-

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL yeah. I'm not either of those. I went ahead and got the second plate since it is just a regular joe shome license plate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the plate. Swap it for the other plate in 30 days and you have a souvenir.

You earned the plate. Why not pick one up?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Here in Oklahoma, they have tags for PD, FD and EMT. I'm certified in all three. Never made up my mind which one to get.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get both.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Ill stick with my Army plates and not have a metric shit ton of damage done to my vehicle
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:43:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Buddy of mine has both and I'm like wtf. You ride around with the wife and 3 kids with LE identifiers all over your vehicle.

At the very least your liable to get keyed/tires slashed. I don't even wanna think bout a pissed off felon wanting to ambush a LEO.
View Quote

Ha, I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate LEO with one of those decals! In MA, where I worked patrol, all the drug dealers and whackers put them on their vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Not no but hell no.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get the plate. Swap it for the other plate in 30 days and you have a souvenir.

You earned the plate. Why not pick one up?
View Quote

His state may be similar to Texas were you can order one strictly as a souvenir.

And no OP, I would never have one of those on my vehicle.  Knew of a rookie that had personalized plates of "10-95" put on his brand new truck.  Within a week he had several THOUSAND dollars worth of criminal mischief done to it....
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Painting a target on my car has never been  a really high priority of mine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No.

Nice gesture and I don't fault people for being proud of their profession or achievements but I think that is just asking for unwanted attention.  I picture either a really new guy or old retired duffer getting those.
View Quote

Yep, no way I'd put that on my car.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive got FOP plates on mine...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ha, I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate LEO with one of those decals! In MA, where I worked patrol, all the drug dealers and whackers put them on their vehicles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#24]
No.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I stay away from things that identify me as LE.  Worse yet, would be if someone else in my family got targeted because they were driving a vehicle with LE specific plates on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Do NOT get one.  The less advertisement the better.  Nothing screams key my car more than an "I'M A COP" license plate.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:21:41 AM EDT
[#28]
This, I don't advocate anyone making themselves a target for B&E or even simple vandalism.  

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#29]
As already stated:

I am a target enough... do not want my family to be part of collateral damage should it ensue...

No plates, stickers, decals, whatever for me...

But you DID earn it...I say get it and put it on the wall in your "man cave"
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope...Not going to attract attention to myself off work. Most folks I deal with do not recognize me in street clothes. No clues given.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Hell NO
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Should be a requirement that all active LEO had plates on their POV's to make it easy to identify them in time of need to do so!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top