Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2014 10:21:02 AM EDT

April I'll have my 20 years in. Unfortunately, it's only 50%, but I can collect it when I retire. I'll be 41; thankfully I started early.

I'm so ready to be done with this line of work. Counting my military days, I've been in Law Enforcement since I was 18.  I 've been planning on doing 30, but recently, now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I just want it to be over.

A divorce in 2010 crippled me financially, so I don't have a lot of savings or 401. Before the end of this year I'm going to have back surgery. I'm in good shape, but I'm just falling apart it seems.

So what do cops with no skills other than being a cop do?

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#1]
My friend with Denver PD is pulling the plug after 25 years, 56 YO.   He also got hit hard in a div. 5 years ago.   He is gonna take a year off and then go back into private security, where he started.  This time he's going to do the surveillance thing vs security guard.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what your best skill level is in the department. I know of several officers who had investigation background and are now bring in big bucks as insurance investigators. Some start their own consulting companies. With today's pro 2A activity firearms instructors are in demand.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on what your best skill level is in the department. I know of several officers who had investigation background and are now bring in big bucks as insurance investigators.
View Quote

This.
My area is flooded with retired cops and detectives so if you don't have an investigative background or something else that stands out you're SOL here. I went back to work driving a truck for awhile to save up moving expenses earlier this year but the pay was shit. Luckily I'll be out of NY soon to a much cheaper area.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Stick around, life after 20 is much better. You KNOW you don't have to take their shit. With the military buyback I'll do 3 more, puts me at 32 (70% plus no SS nor NYS income tax adds another 13%) I have explosives, K9, Narco and criminal investigations so I should be OK.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you get a higher percentage by staying around a few years more?  If so, can you transfer to a gravy desk job?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can you get a higher percentage by staying around a few years more?  If so, can you transfer to a gravy desk job?
View Quote

Ya, a whopping 2% a year. I was thinking maybe go be a bailiff. Kick back job.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Federal Job. Even something easy to get like and brainless like TSA. Do five years to get vested and you have low cost health insurance for your retirement. I've been fed my whole career and I've seen this plenty of times. Guys retire from state local PD and have decent money coming in from their retirement but pay a ton for health insurance.  I don't know if this is true for everybody but I've seen it a number if times.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Just looking around, found a dispatching job for the forest service. Federal Job.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Some just retire and play.  Go shooting, work around the house, train dogs, make knives, do leatherwork, travel, loaf.  Whatever you want to do.   Spend the first year or so doing all those little things you put off, but once they are done away with, then the real retirement starts.  It takes some adjustment to not work after so many years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just looking around, found a dispatching job for the forest service. Federal Job.
View Quote

You want something with little to no liability and extra spending $$$$$. Get some healthcare and a little bit more retirement then weigh your options from there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I did 7 years in LE in Texas and then moved to Canada.  The best advice I can give is join your local ASIS chapter.  Get you PSP or CPP security designation and become a Security Manager.  Find one of the big property managers in your area that does big building and you’ll do fine.  I work in sales now for a Security Integrator; we sell CCTV, Access control, etc.  I make a good living as I know people in the security industry and they trust me.  The jobs are out there, but ASIS is a rock solid foundation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want out, you should plan a little further ahead.  Not this "I'm done in 6 months and have no clue about what's next" deal.  Especially right after a divorce.  Stick it out a few more years to get a higher % and to better prepare for life after the job.  If you won't get any other skills, look at security work on a federal contract.  USMS and FPS use private armed security in US courts and fed facilities and the pay is usually very good for that kind of work, especially if it comes on top of your retirement.  They look for law enforcement or military background mostly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:29:16 AM EDT
[#14]
The baliff gig doesn't sound to bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Thought of teaching/instructing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll be in the same boat as you in 7 more years at the age of 42. Luckily I started looking at the end of my career at the very beginning of my career. Went back to school a got my Masters degree and starting promoting. Just passed the sgt's test and hope to make Lt before I have my 20. I figure with that and a trip to the FBI national academy I should be able to find a chiefs job at a smaller agency after I retire from my current job. I want to go somewhere in NW Arkansas. If I was in your position maybe start looking into corporate security or investigator jobs at insurance companies.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.
My area is flooded with retired cops and detectives so if you don't have an investigative background or something else that stands out you're SOL here. I went back to work driving a truck for awhile to save up moving expenses earlier this year but the pay was shit. Luckily I'll be out of NY soon to a much cheaper area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on what your best skill level is in the department. I know of several officers who had investigation background and are now bring in big bucks as insurance investigators.

This.

Quitter !  

OP.  You're young dude.  Get your ducks lined up before you bail.  Big cash cushion /  at LEAST a part time job /  401-K rollover / Stay outta the bars

I took this year off to just fish and work on the house. Now the resumes are going out cause I'm gettin a little batty, and the wife is starting to hate my guts as she leaves for work. (She DOES like coming home to no laundry, dishes, etc...tho)
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#19]
We have to do 25 to get full pension but now have a deferred retirement program that can earn you pretty decent money for sticking around 5 -8 years after that.  So, I will do 30 years.  Only 16 more to go!

Can't really complain as we are never really busy and make good money.  I don't know how the guys in a place like Cleveland can do 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#21]
It may be to your advantage to have your surgery before you make your retirement decision.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I would talk to a financial adviser (I know Nationwide is ours) and see what he says.  If you dont have much, see if maxing out your deferred comp / 401k for 2-3-4 more years would make that much of a financial gain for retirement.  I know you may want to be done at 20, but if you didnt plan for retirement even at year 15, you will need to make some changes ASAP.  I personally did about 1/2 of what i could do when I first started, then around year 5-10 i dropped it to $0.  around year 11-12 i woke up and did about 75% of what I could do.  It does suck as far as when you are use to a higher amount and now its a good chunk less.  Try to find 1 of those "hole in the wall" spots where everyone forgets you are even still on for a few years.  

as far as back surgery... defiantly do it now while your still on. Sometimes paperwork gets "messed up" once you retire when it comes to big surgeries.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't understand the concept of retiring from LE @ 20 then going having to start a whole new freaking career/job from the bottom up. When I leave LE I don't ever intend on working again. If I stay 30 I'll be 54.

Look into Loss prevention. LP managers make decent cash. You should be able to make 60k-80k a year if you can get a LP management spot with a major chain. IE Target, Walmart, Academy, etc.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#24]
open a bar, and try not to drink away the profits.

my sarge and I were literally considering this a few hours ago.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't understand the concept of retiring from LE @ 20 then going having to start a whole new freaking career/job from the bottom up. When I leave LE I don't ever intend on working again. If I stay 30 I'll be 54.

Look into Loss prevention. LP managers make decent cash. You should be able to make 60k-80k a year if you can get a LP management spot with a major chain. IE Target, Walmart, Academy, etc.

View Quote

In the vast majority of markets and companies you will not make 60-80k a year as a LP manager.  Target requires a four year degree for all Management positions, Walmart pays on the low end, think 35-45k.  I'm unfamiliar with Academy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
In 11 days I complete 30 years service and say goodbye. I'm ready to go...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top