Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2014 6:23:46 PM EDT

I'm looking for a new BUG and I'd like to hear your suggestions on what you carry and why you chose it.

I'm also interested in where/how you carry it on your person.

My duty weapon is a G17, so the logical BUG choice would be a G26. With that being said, however, I want a slimmer/smaller gun that's not as cumbersome as the 26 and something that I can conceal/carry comfortably while still having easy access to it.

We're authorized for quite a few choices, but I was looking at the following:

1. Kahr PM-9
2. Kahr P-9
3. SW MP Shield (9mm, no thumb safety)
4. SW .38 Revolvers

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
642 smith with a speed strip reload
Or a pm9
Or a glock 26 if you can choose glock 26 always choose glock 26
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I carried a Ruger SPNY in a vest strap holster.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you rule out the 26, and only considering your list, I would say the wheel gun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a PM9 and love it. G26 was too wide and heavy for me (for non-belt-holster wear). Trying to decide where to put it while in uniform. Normally I just pocket carry it. I was gifted an ankle holster made for it long before I bought it, so I'll try that first. *Note to self to report back.

EDIT: Tried the Bianchi size 12 ankle holster for a week. Liking it so far. No foot pursuit yet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Love my shield. Had a hard time finding an IWB holster for it though. I finally had a local guy make me one. I haven't checked lately to see what's available...there may be more out there now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Kahr CW9
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Shield in an Desnatis ankle rig on duty. Galco KingTuk off duty.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#8]
S&W 642 in a vest holster also. Have a pouch on my duty belt with two 5-round speed strips.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#9]
shield! hands down
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Kahr PM9 in Galco Ankle Holster
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I carried a Kel-Tec .32 in my shirt pocket for a few years.  Then carried a Kahr CW9 in a vest holster.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock 27 in a IWB holster. I wear a outer vest that covers it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
shield! hands down
View Quote

How do you carry it?

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Kahr CM9. Galco Ankle Glove.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Shield 9, fits nicely in the built in ar mag pockets in my 5.11 pants
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm looking for a new BUG and I'd like to hear your suggestions on what you carry and why you chose it.

I'm also interested in where/how you carry it on your person.

My duty weapon is a G17, so the logical BUG choice would be a G26. With that being said, however, I want a slimmer/smaller gun that's not as cumbersome as the 26 and something that I can conceal/carry comfortably while still having easy access to it.

We're authorized for quite a few choices, but I was looking at the following:

1. Kahr PM-9
2. Kahr P-9
3. SW MP Shield (9mm, no thumb safety)
4. SW .38 Revolvers

View Quote

G26, left side of my vest in an Uncle Mikes vest holster for the past 17 years. Never a problem and pretty quick and easy to get to.

J-
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Shield 9mm in a leather pouch style holster on my armor on my weak side, almost directly under my weak arm. I carried a G26 for years this way and finally broke down and bought a Shield. The Shield carries a LOT better than the G26. I had a lot of trouble with the butt on the G26 sticking out enough to poke the inside of my upper arm and getting really uncomfortable by the end of a 10 hr shift. The Shield is so much thinner that it absolutely disappears, where the G26 would print if I had to raise my arms. No problems with poking me, either. The Shield also disappears under just a t-shirt when carried IWB off duty, too. I love my G26 but can't say enough good about the Shield for CCW.

Bub75
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#19]
You are looking at some solid choices.

I work in plain clothes and use a G27 or Shield for off-duty or when I need to hide a gun in shorts and t-shirt

My BUG is always an AirLite .38 Smith and Wesson 342 with Gold Dot 135 +P

I use a 5 Shot Leather ankle rig in jeans and it rides down to the top of my boot and doesn't budge.

Back when I wore a uniform I carried it on my vest under my armpit.

It's so light I could hardly notice it on the vest.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Smith and Wesson bodyguard for me. I have a clip on it and put it on my vest under the left armpit for a crossdraw. Rides securely and is relatively unnoticeable to me or anyone else. If I had to switch brands/guns I'd go Ruger LCP with the same clip.

All your options are too big for comfort unless you use an ankle rig IMO. And I'm anti ankle rig for patrol for three reasons.

1. Foot pursuits.
2. Hard to maintain retention in a fight.
3. Impractical to draw from there in certain situations/on the move.

A gun under your shirt/on your vest will stay in place when running/jumping fences. If you have to step in water/mud it stays clean/dry. If you get in a tussle nobody will be able to get it. And if you need to draw it while on the move to cover its no issue.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nice. Any pics of it under the uniform so I can see if it prints?

I just think the way my uniforms are tailored that would print big time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]

For those of you that carry on your vest, under your uniform, what holsters do you use to secure it?

We're issued the PACA armor with decent Velcro patches that I was thinking about getting a CrossBreed style Modular Kydex holster and attach that to it.

CrossBreed Modular Belly Band

I have a Kahr P380 (.380 not authorized) that I pocket carry off duty at times. If I go the route of getting the Kahr P9 or PM9, I think I'll just use a pocket holster and put it in one of my zippered CARGO [*gasp*] pockets rather than carry on the vest - though I may just go the route of vest carry with either one of those as well. I don't think I'll like the extra weight of a gun flopping around in a leg pocket as I'm chasing someone through the backyards.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Smith airweight in Bianchi Triad ankle rig.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#23]
S&W M&P9 Shield, on the vest in a 10-24 Products holster.

10-24 Products
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#24]
G27 for off-duty or when I need to hide a gun in shorts and t-shirt

My BUG is a Ruger LCR .38 with Gold Dot 135 +P

Ankle rig with calf strap on dominant leg (left handed) so I can reach it in the car as my duty gun is stuck next to the "B" pillar. Learned the hard way one evening when some crackhead ran up and tried to smash my cruiser window back in the day (East New York = shit hole)
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:25:00 AM EDT
[#25]
MP subcompact 9mm, Desantis ankle holster. Id go with the Glock 26 since you could use your duty mags. Just get a good holster for it especially if its going to be on the ankle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Since you rule out the 26, and only considering your list, I would say the wheel gun.
View Quote

The wheel gun I think shines in a BUG role
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I carried a Ruger SPNY in a vest strap holster.
View Quote

This method.  I carried a LOT of different BUG's over the years, but the carry method stayed the same. Only mistake I made once was wearing a shoulder holder  over the vest. Damn thing ended up in the middle of my back during a fight.  

from then on it was physically  attached to the vest.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I ended up getting a Shield. I put a little over 500 rounds through it the past few days (open range days) without any issue and/or malfunctions. It's a slick little gun and I'm starting to warm up to it.

I think I might need a new holster though. The Uncle Mike's Body Armor Holster #4 (87454 "Most sub-compact 9mm/40 autos, up to 3 1/2" barrels) isn't quite big enough. As you can see in the pics, the gun rides nice, and it's not noticeable through a tapered/tailored shirt.

I'm thinking about trying out the CrossBreed Velcro Holster

Any other thoughts on holsters?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You wear it strong side? How is your weak draw?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ended up getting a Shield. I put a little over 500 rounds through it the past few days (open range days) without any issue and/or malfunctions. It's a slick little gun and I'm starting to warm up to it.

I think I might need a new holster though. The Uncle Mike's Body Armor Holster #4 (87454 "Most sub-compact 9mm/40 autos, up to 3 1/2" barrels) isn't quite big enough. As you can see in the pics, the gun rides nice, and it's not noticeable through a tapered/tailored shirt.

I'm thinking about trying out the CrossBreed Velcro Holster

http://i62.tinypic.com/29oq4ja.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/17bmnm.jpg

Any other thoughts on holsters?

You wear it strong side? How is your weak draw?

Under my left arm (weak) in a cross draw for dominate hand.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That must be night and day.  I switched from a 27 to a Shield for EDC because I tend to print. I was not a fan of single stacks until then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shield 9mm in a leather pouch style holster on my armor on my weak side, almost directly under my weak arm. I carried a G26 for years this way and finally broke down and bought a Shield. The Shield carries a LOT better than the G26. I had a lot of trouble with the butt on the G26 sticking out enough to poke the inside of my upper arm and getting really uncomfortable by the end of a 10 hr shift. The Shield is so much thinner that it absolutely disappears, where the G26 would print if I had to raise my arms. No problems with poking me, either. The Shield also disappears under just a t-shirt when carried IWB off duty, too. I love my G26 but can't say enough good about the Shield for CCW.

Bub75

That must be night and day.  I switched from a 27 to a Shield for EDC because I tend to print. I was not a fan of single stacks until then.

You have absolutely no idea! I loved the G26. It was a really early example (serial number BUZXXXUS) that I bought from a nearby PD that bought quite a few and had them imported from Austria because they couldn't find any locally. I have shot the shit out of it and, aside from some issues in the first 200 rds, it has always run like a top, accurate and reliable. Except for a few years when I carried snubbies, I've always carried higher capacity guns. I debated for a LONG time about going to a lower capacity gun, but I'm damn glad I did. MUCH more comfortable, should shoot just as well with more practice and I'm only giving up 3 rds with the 7 rd mag. It is thin enough that it conceals a lot better than the G26 for off duty carry, too, especially when I'm wearing only a t-shirt and shorts. I'm real happy with it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Bub75
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a SW 642 in an ankle holster, on the inside of my strong-side ankle.

This is so I can keep my strong hand free for primary weapon retention, and reach down and get the BUG if needed. It also made for a very easy draw while seated, with my strong hand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For those of you that carry on your vest, under your uniform, what holsters do you use to secure it?
View Quote

I used a 5.11 velcro holster under the straps.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#38]

S&W 642 in a Mika pocket holster.  Front left pocket.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:46:16 AM EDT
[#40]
My duty weapon is a gen4 Glock 22. I carry a g27 BUG on my left ankle in a Gould and Goodrich holster. There's a slight amount of printing but it's not significant.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:18:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Ruger LCP in a pocket holster, front pocket, weak side
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#42]
On duty I carry a G27 Gen4 with TLR-1.  I chose a G27 to keep all the same muscle memory.  If you want something even smaller I would explore the G42.  Its in 380 though.. They are suppose to be coming out in 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I carry a G27 in a Bulldog belly band, cross draw under my support side arm.  It's fairly easy to get to, since we have zippered shirts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top