Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 3:12:45 AM EDT
My wife of 15 years had sudden onset CP w/ radiation to L arm today. I rode in but did not run the call. The call went fine, w/o any issues.

Good news, all is well, 0 spill, no ST changes. Follow-up tomorrow.

I'm sitting here, 12 hours later, having the worst case of post call freak-out I've had. I've seen some serious shit in 26 years on the streets. I held it together in the truck and in the ED. I was even OK getting her to bed. Now though, I can't stop thinking of what might have been!

My rational mind keeps saying that nothing bad happened, and it's right. It is of little consolation. I keep replaying the ACS > Code calls I've run. The thought of working a code on the love of my life is really messing w/ me. Ironically, there is a part of me that would want to be right there and ensuring she got the best care. Reviewing the call, I was in an amplified type of professional detachment. I was very focused and detailed while managing the bigger picture elements of the call. In that respect, the call was much like any other emergent call. I hope and expect that I would be able to operate in that manner working a code on my wife. (Damn, that sounded creepy in my head as I typed it).

I called off tomorrow to get her to the follow up appt. I'm going to set up an EAP appt when I go back in Saturday.

Have any of you have similar experiences?

Thanks, guys. I just needed to talk it out a bit.

And no, I know the rules but no pics. HIPPA

Wig
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not. I specifically went to a county that wan't home to get a job just because I don't want to run people I know. I have run coworkers, not the same though. Anyways, glad things turned out well with the wife. I'm glad you are going to use EAP, smart move. All I can tell you is this, you don't second guess all your other calls, don't start with this one. You did what you were supposed to, nothing bad happened. You didn't get fireman's luck, thank God. Try and let it go (easier said than done, I know). If you want to talk about it shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Nevermind.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
HIPPA my ass.  It's more about PerSec.  
Glad Household-6 is okay.  

Things affect people differently when it's someone they know.  There's the 'personal connection' that is involved.  Someone dies or gets seriously messed up in a MVA??  No problem.  I don't know 'em so there's no emotional involvement.  .
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Fortunately no.
I have worked on co-workers at the Urgent Care/ER clinic I work at part time, though, but it wasn't serious or a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a family member but a close family friend. I was first on scene, started CPR but lost him the next day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
No family members, but did hear my parents address dispatched while on duty.

I have run close friends however. Two not so bad calls, both broken bones and spent the ride to the hospital catching up. One was a kid I taught swim lessons too about 5 years prior. He was an auto ped. Flew him, I took the parents in the ambo. He did not survive.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I responded to my grandpa's home the day he died. My uncle was doing half assed CPR when I walked through the door with the other 2 medics.

I puled him out of his recliner to the floor and took over compressions as we got him packed up and into the squad. Rotated between compressions, bagging and keeping tabs on the monitor for the 15 minute ride in.

Moved him over to the bed in the ER and as soon as I let go of the backboard lost it and started crying, I left the ER and waited for my family to arrive and to be with them.

It sucks, and it should, but you will get over it. As you said, it's good to know the care was as good as it could be, and in my case it was a great relief to my family as well.

Take care, PM me if needed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it meant "run"a family member as in check their background. I wish I'd have done it when I met my last ex. Wasn't till we were married for a year that I found out she was a convicted felon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer to work where I don't live. Prevents some of the issue.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it meant "run"a family member as in check their background. I wish I'd have done it when I met my last ex. Wasn't till we were married for a year that I found out she was a convicted felon.
View Quote

Tis better to have loved and lost.... than to have lived with a crazy ass psycho felon!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#13]
No, but I know someone who had a family member off them-self while they stood by. Subject ran to room and grabbed gun they didn't want him to 'take them with him' so they they stepped out the room and waited for the bang before reentering.

Pretty jacked up I suppose.

Since I'm in LE I'd be pretty pissed if a family member had to be dealt with in a suspect capacity... I'd just call another unit and tell them to handle it like normal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Ran my mother in years back that was odd, few friends here and there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Dispatched the call for my grandfather being found unresponsive/not breathing. Stayed on the console long enough to get it confirmed and then left work to tell my father that his father was gone.

He went peacefully, at least.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Splinted my wife's fractured, compound, comminuted tib/fib fx in front of my house a ways back in 2000.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top