Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2014 4:40:48 PM EDT
I'm retired po-leece out of central CA. Have my dept.- issued 218 card, complies with Fed statute in all respects. I go to my old dept. every year to shoot qualification.

A local friend is also retired LE, 218 holder, out of North CA dept. He's an excellent gunsmith and small dealer, no storefront, but BATFE licensed.

BATFE agent came to check his books a month or so ago - no big deal. He only sells to LE, 218 card holders and NV CCW...that way, he doesn't have to arrange/charge for the background check. Agent saw my stuff from a purchase, and told him BATFE's current "opinion" is that HR 218 does NOT work as a CCW for gun purchases.

News to me, and to him. He said the agent was not in an uproar over it (she's apparently pretty thorough but not an anti-gunner) - but just "in the future", either present a NV CCW or do the background check.

Any insights?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm retired po-leece out of central CA. Have my dept.- issued 218 card, complies with Fed statute in all respects. I go to my old dept. every year to shoot qualification.

A local friend is also retired LE, 218 holder, out of North CA dept. He's an excellent gunsmith and small dealer, no storefront, but BATFE licensed.

BATFE agent came to check his books a month or so ago - no big deal. He only sells to LE, 218 card holders and NV CCW...that way, he doesn't have to arrange/charge for the background check. Agent saw my stuff from a purchase, and told him BATFE's current "opinion" is that HR 218 does NOT work as a CCW for gun purchases.

News to me, and to him. He said the agent was not in an uproar over it (she's apparently pretty thorough but not an anti-gunner) - but just "in the future", either present a NV CCW or do the background check.

Any insights?
View Quote

Retired federal LEO credentials also does NOT work as a CCW for gun purchases.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's where the problem lies: if this is statute, and not just "opinion" as inferred, I didn't know this while apparently committing several crimes over the past decade. I've likely purchased eight or nine guns using my 218 card from gun shops - who also apparently didn't know. Which, I suppose, makes it tantamount to conspiracy as well, criminal intent notwithstanding.

My dept. checks me every year when I renew. Where is the difference?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your state laws, here in NC you have to get a pistol purchase permit from your local sheriff's office prior to purchasing a pistol, UNLESS you are active or retired LEO and have valid ID, and you can present that to the dealer and walk out with your purchase.  It's specifically written into law here.  I have done it several times already and heard nothing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't speak for other places but here where I'm at...

I can understand their position because the HR218 card itself MEANS NOTHING... it simply means you passed the range qualification portion... the rest of the qualification requirements are on the retiree to demonstrate he/she meets the standards.

When my agency holds annual HR218 qualifications, and we qualify about 350-400 retirees an year, or I hold my own HR218 qualifications, we/I make sure the retirees understand the HR218 card we/I issue DOES NOT represent in ANY WAY they qualify totally under HR218... the card ONLY means they passed the firearms qualification... satisfying the rest of the qualification requirements are the sole responsibility of the retiree... so in short, the HR218 card is worthless beyond saying you passed a firing course.

Granted many states' CC credentials are issued for various time periods, and background checks are only conducted upon issuance and renewal, the HR218 process never involves a background check.  So that's another possible consideration being looked at.  Just because I have retired credentials and met all the other requirements, obtaining a HR218 card is easy and requires no check... just show up somewhere that offers the range qualification and you're GTG.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's where the problem lies: if this is statute, and not just "opinion" as inferred, I didn't know this while apparently committing several crimes over the past decade. I've likely purchased eight or nine guns using my 218 card from gun shops - who also apparently didn't know. Which, I suppose, makes it tantamount to conspiracy as well, criminal intent notwithstanding.

My dept. checks me every year when I renew. Where is the difference?
View Quote

It's not standard... many places don't.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
218 does not work like a CCW. If you are arguing that there is no background on CCW purchases and that the 218 should be equal, you are wrong. There is no random checks of those carrying under 218, as there is with the ccw system.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check your state laws, here in NC you have to get a pistol purchase permit from your local sheriff's office prior to purchasing a pistol, UNLESS you are active or retired LEO and have valid ID, and you can present that to the dealer and walk out with your purchase.  It's specifically written into law here.  I have done it several times already and heard nothing.
View Quote

In NC a CHP replace the NIC'S check and PPP
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Retired LEO also. But, I did get my Texas state issued CHL a couple of years ago, and have used it to purchase firearms, as recently as this past Saturday, to avoid the wait for the NIC check.  I never tried to use my retired LE creds for purchase, and don't think under current Texas law it would be accepted.  Something to check I guess.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Any insights?
View Quote

I dont see why it would??? My current credentials (active officer with 20 years) does NOT act like a CCW permit in terms of purchases so I could see why a retiree on a HR218 ID wouldnt either. Nothing I have read has shown otherwise either. Is there something in the legislation that you can show where it says it should?

J-
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

218 does not work like a CCW. If you are arguing that there is no background on CCW purchases and that the 218 should be equal, you are wrong. There is no random checks of those carrying under 218, as there is with the ccw system.
View Quote

THIS was my understanding also.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a MS Firearms Permit as a backup to my creds. Bit of a PITA, but it occasionally comes in handy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Eh, you have to have a background check no matter what here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top