Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2014 2:32:13 PM EDT
My agency is currently using the Scorpion Micro cameras.  Any suggestions on placement? I have been clipping it on the left shirt pocket, in the pen holder, but the angle is not always the best.  Also, the plastic clip is not very sturdy.  I am always having to tighten the screw that holds the actual clip.  It becomes very loose if the clip is rotated.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
A little on the expensive side, but VieVu is what we currently use. MSRP $900.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The Scorpion cameras are junk.  They break, the clips come loose, and the field of view is small compared to others on the market.  My agency just got rid of them in favor for a camera that Taser International makes.  It's bigger, but much more solid and the field of view is much greater.  http://www.taser.com/products/on-officer-video
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Scorpion cameras are junk.  They break, the clips come loose, and the field of view is small compared to others on the market.  My agency just got rid of them in favor for a camera that Taser International makes.  It's bigger, but much more solid and the field of view is much greater.  http://www.taser.com/products/on-officer-video
View Quote

Might be just our Dept, but we have Taser and have been running into problems with syncing,downloading,break,loosing cameras due to magnet mounts and etc. Your best bet is get a list of departments that are using a certain brand and survey the patrolmen.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Might be just our Dept, but we have Taser and have been running into problems with syncing,downloading,break,loosing cameras due to magnet mounts and etc. Your best bet is get a list of departments that are using a certain brand and survey the patrolmen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got a different Taser cam.  We demo'd the camera with the magnet mount and ditched it in favor of the box looking camera that has a big clip to clip it to the front of your shirt.  We had issues with the one you're talking about as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We got a different Taser cam.  We demo'd the camera with the magnet mount and ditched it in favor of the box looking camera that has a big clip to clip it to the front of your shirt.  We had issues with the one you're talking about as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are testing the Taser Axon Flex system right now.  Quality of video is great, and I love the option of having them on the Oakley glasses.  Hardware sucks.  Retaining clip for the battery wire breaks easily and I've had my wire come out during foot pursuits and resistances.  Magnetic mount is fine for most stuff, but I ended up rolling around with a guy and the camera came off the glasses, spinning around on the cable.  The video of him getting cuffed was almost vomit enducing.  The Samsung Galaxy device has issues connecting to the camera so we can attach case numbers to videos and has to be rebooted almost every time.  Those that got the Apple Ipod device don't seem to have these issues.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I was the T&E geek for the Taser Flex in our jail environment for close to 45days.
Since I wore eye glasses the Oakley mount was not an option. So I used the magnetic mount under my collar. This worked better then the other mounting options, eppalet mount, hat mount or a rigged mount to my tac vest.
I captured the mundane roll calls, pill calls, med calls, movements, transports even a sit down with my Major discussing the camera. Also a couple of post incident responses...it's always good to be the last guy at an OC event. There were a couple of tasings, mine and one commanded by me. great videos by the way.
Best feature was the fact the camera was always in standby mode and when I pushed the big button it started recording instantly plus the previous 30 seconds.  The unit would last for my 12h shift with no problem as long as I charged the battery pack & camera after shift. The charger also down loaded my videos that training & my computer savvy supervisors could view anytime.
Silk system.  I rigged the wire to my tac vest which made morning gear up a little simpler. Also tweaked a pocket so the battery pack record button was easily pushed  while in the pocket. The magnet mount was never an issue for me but I could see it coming off in a tussle.
From what I gathered hearing among the decision makers and the Taser reps, buying the cameras and the "Evidence" software was much like buying a cell phone under contract. Buy "X" amount of camera systems with "Y" software contract for "Z" length of time will cost $$,$$$.$$. Part of the deal Taser quoted was support, free replacement of small parts, repair and upgrades free for first half of the total units half way through the contract and the remaining half at the end of the contract.
Again wish I still had the unit.
Right now I wear my personally purchased CYA  called a MuviHD. Again like it for what it is $130, built in screen, HD, micro SD memory, last a couple days in stand by, VOX initiated recording, VERY sturdy clip mount plus a remote (inmates never see me start the recording, just tape over the LEDs). So far this unit has bounced a few times and still works great.
Gotta knock off for now,
7mm
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#7]
It's also on the more expensive side, but there's currently a promotion for the FirstVu HD where you have a chance to win your demo unit if you try it out, which would certainly make the price right. It has some good mounting options and field of view.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We are testing the Taser Axon Flex system right now.  Quality of video is great, and I love the option of having them on the Oakley glasses.  Hardware sucks.  Retaining clip for the battery wire breaks easily and I've had my wire come out during foot pursuits and resistances.  Magnetic mount is fine for most stuff, but I ended up rolling around with a guy and the camera came off the glasses, spinning around on the cable.  The video of him getting cuffed was almost vomit enducing.  The Samsung Galaxy device has issues connecting to the camera so we can attach case numbers to videos and has to be rebooted almost every time.  Those that got the Apple Ipod device don't seem to have these issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Axon Body is the one we are using.  It's pretty well built and seems to be doing well since dployed with our deputies.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't played the Google Search game but is there a camera other than Taser's that is constantly recording so when you push the record button it starts with 30 or so seconds in the past recorded?
In the past week I've had 1 Taser's event, 1 fight, 1 cell search go sideways~inmate managed to get his hidden stash of pills and flush them, 1 pat down leading to a recovery of a lighter and 3.5oz of loose tobacco and a couple of shouting matches that lead nowhere...life of a jailer.  The Taser's Flex head mount worked great in that I could push the record button and it would keep the previous 30 seconds of action without audio and go until I stopped it, ran out of memory or the battery died.
7mm
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#10]
We use Vievu, a few issues with clips giving out in fights but that's about it.  It does not do the previous 30 seconds when it is activated due to the lens being covered by the off/on button when the unit is off and then uncovered when you flip it on.  Easy to tell if it is on or off, also easy to activate when you jump out on somebody.  They don't do great in low light, and generally need to have subject illuminated pretty well with a flashlight before they pick it up.   Foot pursuits resemble the blair witch project.  Audio quality is great.   Im not sure how many hours exactly of video they hold, but I know one needs to download the thing about two to three times in a 12 hour night shift.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I also forgot to mention that there is a fee for storage on Taser's system. So although they will store video, it's not free. All of our bank chargers are malfunctioning and needs to be replaced again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Foot pursuits resemble the blair witch project.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:21:24 AM EDT
[#13]
If budget isn't an issue, out of the four cams I have tested for my agency the Digital Ally FirstVu Hd was my favorite. The battery pack vibrated every 5 seconds to remind you it was on and it had a mute button you could turn off and on. The only issue we had with it was getting the software to download.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top