Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2014 12:23:12 AM EDT
It is time for some new duty boots what type of boots are out there, where and what type of prices.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 3:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
look at Merrill boots..or Shoes for Crews..
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 4:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive been happy with my pair of Danner Ft. Lewis.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Ft Lewis maybe for where you are.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
LE or FD? If FD I love my warington pros. Wouldn't be very good for law enforcement though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
LE and the current boots are Vasque Sundowners.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I like my under armors.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#7]
20 years in LEO here and I would recommend the Salomon XA Pro 3D Mid-  they have in solid black.   It's built on their running shoe chassis and are the most comfortable duty shoes I have ever worn.  

I bought them and then wore them through 3 x 12HR shifts and on my first day off in them ran 3 miles in them without a hitch.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Danner Ft. Lewis right here.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I've worn Altama all leather combat boots in my 10 years as a cop.
Love em. Durable, reletively inexpensive,($120 online), and comfortable once broken in. They do not have a welted sole but can be resoled if you have good shoe repair/cobbler who can grind the sole flat (when its worn out), and glue vibrams on afterwards.
This extends the life of the boot by several years as the vibrams can be replaced easily when worn out.
I get about 1-2 years out of the stock sole, and with the vibrams I get an additional 3-4 years.
Basically, the leather and the stitching tends to fail before the boot can no longer be resoled
One thing to note...Altama just recently did something weird with their sizing...I'd always worn an 11W in the Marine Corps, and the first two pairs I bought as a cop were 11W. They fit perfectly.
Last pair I bought as back ups ,(also 11W), were too big. Sent em back got replacements...same thing, too big.
In desperation I tried some 11 regulars, and they fit perfectly.

While all of this was going on ,(3 month interval while waiting for boots to be resoled & torn seam repaired), I NEEDED new boots.
Over the years I'd bought the "sneaker" like boots ,(side zip, very comfortable...511's, Bates, etc), and they never lasted more than a year before catstrophically failing,(soles tearing off etc). They all wound up being a waste of money.

Long story short I bought a pair of Danner Acadia's...
These are the single most expensive pair of footwear I've ever purchased at $300 a pair...
HOLY SHIT ARE THESE COMFORTABLE!!!
I should have bought them earlier!!!
Comfortable right out of the box ,(11w I might add), no break in required.
They have a welted sole and can be repaired/resoled easily, no grinding needed.
Danner will also repair them for you should they get damaged over the years .

TL/DR...
Altama all leather combat boots, ($120 pair, sizes recently changed), Danner Acadia ($300 fits perfect, super comfortable, durable and also approved by the USMC as uniform footwear....buy once cry once). Both made in America if that's important to you as well.

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
20 years in LEO here and I would recommend the Salomon XA Pro 3D Mid-  they have in solid black.   It's built on their running shoe chassis and are the most comfortable duty shoes I have ever worn.  

I bought them and then wore them through 3 x 12HR shifts and on my first day off in them ran 3 miles in them without a hitch.
View Quote

I read about these on here, bought them and initially liked them.  My issue is I have plantar faciitus.  Most boots I just put a pair of insoles in and I'm done.  With these, I wore them for a few weeks, longest track I did was about 11 miles on foot (Border Patrol) and they felt great.  Then all of a sudden my arch started killing me.  Got to the point where I was miserable wearing them.  Ended up buying $400 custom insoles and the dang things didn't fit in the boots.  The insoles were too big for the boot.  Ended up selling them.

If you don't have feet problems, these are probably one of the best boots out there.  If you do, might look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 on Danners.  I've had some last 2 years with frequent use.

Don't get magnums, they are cheaper but they fall apart.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Wear Salomon XA Pro Mid GTX Forces and Danner Ft. Lewis.  In the rain and nastiness, can't beat the Ft. Lewis.  Anytime else, the Salomon's are great.  My only gripe is I wish that they were built on the 4d chasis for a little bit more ankle support.  We work 12's and I don't have a problem wearing either, however I will say the Ft. Lewis is what I would considerable "comfortable for a boot", but the Salomon's are just straight comfortable compared to any show/boot out there in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I wore Corcoran II jump boots and got 5-6 years out of a pair.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 for Danner Arcadia.  Great company, great warranty, and they last forever.  Well worth the price paid.  Once you break them in they fit your foot like a baseball glove.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Danner striker in the winter.

UA side zip with green super feet inserts in the summer. Not a cop, but a lot of cops I've seen around here wear the UA.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm partial to Oakleys...
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like my 5.11's...
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Good,bought them and then wore them through 3 x 12HR shifts and on my first day off in them ran 3 miles in them without a hitch.http://goo.gl/4v309S
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like my under armors.
View Quote

I love my UA Speed Freaks. Very light but supportive. I have crappy ankles (have broken both, twice in my life) and the Speed Freaks work well.

I have had Danners and pretty much all other boot makes in my 20 years. Danners would be my second choice, only because most are resoleable.

J-
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#20]
im wearing oakleys right now. Just ordered a pair of salomans, Im pretty excited to try em out
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#21]
you are right,It's built on their running shoe chassis and are the most comfortable duty shoes I have ever worn.  thank youhttp://goo.gl/4v309S
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I've used Danners, Bellevilles, Rocky, and 5.11s.

I like Belleville the best for Army boots, but I have to admit...on the LE side, the 5.11 winter boots have surpassed my expectations. Did not expect them to be as warm as they are, withstand the abuse as well as they have, or hold a shine as good as they do. Will definitely be using 5.11 in the foreseeable future for winter use (and the winters are no joke here).
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
+1 for Danner Arcadia.  Great company, great warranty, and they last forever.  Well worth the price paid.  Once you break them in they fit your foot like a baseball glove.
View Quote

This.  I have two pair. Only bought second when I sent the originals back for resole job after 5 years of daily work wear.  Got them back and they were like new but fit like an old friend!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Anybody have any experience with the Danner Striker Torrents or the Nike Special Fields?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Right now I am using the 5.11 tach lights.

Zip up side, breathable and very comfortable.  great ankle support. I put anywhere from 6-8 miles a night on them for the last 4 months. They are holding up well. For summer use they are great.

I think they were around 120.00
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I try a new pair of boots about every year...I've yet to find one that I really like. My problem has always been finding one that is good with moisture....My feet sweat like a son of a bitch, doesn't matter what I try...Nothing is worse than feeling like you're wearing saucy socks all shift.

I've currently got the UA ones, but after less than a year of use, they are already starting to break down. They are light and comfortable, but I still sweat like a moro in 'em. Several of my coworkers have switched to the blauer clash boots and seem to like them a lot.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I've tried Danner Arcadia, Danner Kinetic's, And the 511 Atac's.  I had been using the 511's for years, but mainly because they are light.  However I recently switched over to the Danner Kinetics and won't go back.  They are equally as light, are good for hikes, and don't melt on the summer pavement.  Danner Arcadias are awesome too, but they are heavy. Prices can go up to about $120.00
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've tried Danner Arcadia, Danner Kinetic's, And the 511 Atac's.  I had been using the 511's for years, but mainly because they are light.  However I recently switched over to the Danner Kinetics and won't go back.  They are equally as light, are good for hikes, and don't melt on the summer pavement.  Danner Arcadias are awesome too, but they are heavy. Prices can go up to about $120.00
View Quote

Just discovered the kinetics myself by accident.  They are the most comfy duty boots I've worn.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just discovered the kinetics myself by accident.  They are the most comfy duty boots I've worn.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn...I like the looks of those...I might have to try them one of these days. How the foot temperature in them?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#30]
U.S. made Danners are the best IMO.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Damn...I like the looks of those...I might have to try them one of these days. How the foot temperature in them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bad.  Being as it's hot as hell right now and I've only had em for about a month I can't really give a good assessment of that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not bad.  Being as it's hot as hell right now and I've only had em for about a month I can't really give a good assessment of that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the perfect time...lol It's always hot as hell here, keeping warm is never my issue.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Just bought a pair of the bates code 6. think i got them on sale for 89 bucks and they feel great. My last pair of bates lasted me around 4 1/2 years so im hoping these hold up just as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I love my Rocky S2V.  Accepts polish and the most comfortable boot when on your feet all day.  They make a gore tex and none gore tex option.  I got mine a few years back for roughly $180.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top