Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2014 7:42:58 PM EDT
Hey wanted to share this app our SRO told us about its called hero 911 and can be downloaded on iphone or android. Full LE verification is REQUIRED! Sends alert to you if their is an active shooter nearby., and the option to respond uniform or plain clothes, if you can to help your brothers ans sisters on scene. Great App, great idea. DL the app signup be safe!
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is LE verification required?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
So trained LE can respond, it has an option for uniform officer or off duty officer and it is encouraged to wear your shield around your neck when in plain clothes.
Retired LE can join as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If I am off duty and in my jurisdiction, I will not be responding to an active shooter situation.  

If I am on duty, I'll be responding anyway....no app needed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

yep, i don't think it was very well received IIRC.

J-
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
This is being pushed heavy in our area.  I have personal opinions as the rep wanted my company (We teach intruder defense) to help market it.  Before I was willing to go to that level, I asked around both educators and PD's.  Here's what I learned (YMMV)

Educators/Administrators love the idea of having every LE possible come to the rescue, even though their visions of what "rescue" means is slightly skewed.

PD Chiefs/Sheriff, etc are concerned about the level of competency of LE will show up (ie:  what we refer to as a "blue bar" hero (blue bars are awarded for valor in our AOP)

Average Copper:  Opinions vary.  Some will come no matter what; some not so much.

In the end, we utilize the MACTAC approach since we have 62 (+/-) agencies with dept's, not including St. Louis County, City, State and Feds.  We already all plan on coming depending on the response zone and necessities, so the app is neutral in our area.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is being pushed heavy in our area.  I have personal opinions as the rep wanted my company (We teach intruder defense) to help market it.  Before I was willing to go to that level, I asked around both educators and PD's.  Here's what I learned (YMMV)

Educators/Administrators love the idea of having every LE possible come to the rescue, even though their visions of what "rescue" means is slightly skewed.

PD Chiefs/Sheriff/ Average Copper , etc are concerned about the level of competency of LE will show up (ie:  what we refer to as a "blue bar" hero (blue bars are awarded for valor in our AOP)

Average Copper:  Opinions vary.  Some will come no matter what; some not so much.

In the end, we utilize the MACTAC approach since we have 62 (+/-) agencies with dept's, not including St. Louis County, City, State and Feds.  We already all plan on coming depending on the response zone and necessities, so the app is neutral in our area.

View Quote

I'm concerned with the competency of others showing up if needed. We train on a county wide level for AS response. Thats about 20 dept's and several hundred officers ALL trained the exact same way. Doesnt matter what dept ur from, you and I would know exactly what to so there is no need worry about competency. Now someone shows up who is a wild card...........yeah ur are on the perimeter dude.

J-
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why is LE verification required?
View Quote

For the mailing list they are going to sell.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I am off duty and in my jurisdiction, I will not be responding to an active shooter situation.  

If I am on duty, I'll be responding anyway....no app needed.
View Quote

This. But I'm fortunate enough to live/work in a city where if something like that goes down by the time I leave my house they'll already be 30-50 officers on scene before I can get there.

Our department just adapted an email/text/call emergency message system. The system messages out to all public employees (and I'm thinking university staff/students) to let them know to avoid particular areas (In case of emergency/active shooter) and I guess its meant to notify us as well.

If I'm needed I'll be called on my cell and will respond accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Like an Amber Alert, the bat signal activation will take too long (good job government) and shit will be over. Then there will be a delay if the shooter moves, and a subsequent delay in updates.

Regional radio systems, when set up properly would be invaluable for this, combined with a competent IT staff. My old dept had the capability to send text messages to all staff phones via a web interface. Much faster.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Around here the situation will be over before that alert is even sent. Not to mention the exponentially multiplied potential for a blue on blue shooting in the added confusion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Where does the intel come from anyway?  Who activates the alert initially, and decided what information goes in it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Like an Amber Alert, the bat signal activation will take too long (good job government) and shit will be over. Then there will be a delay if the shooter moves, and a subsequent delay in updates.

Regional radio systems, when set up properly would be invaluable for this, combined with a competent IT staff. My old dept had the capability to send text messages to all staff phones via a web interface. Much faster.....
View Quote

This.

The response time by the time you open your phone and get the details, until you respond will be to late. Let the people working the road with a radio handle the call. It isn't going to be a all day event. Its going to be over with in 1-2 minutes by the time the first 911 call comes in.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Our local school administrators were initially very excited about this app...until they saw the price tag. The app is free for LE but costs the schools. Our school admins thought it was to much $$. It does no good for you do download it as an LEO if the local school system is not using it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm concerned with the competency of others showing up if needed. We train on a county wide level for AS response. Thats about 20 dept's and several hundred officers ALL trained the exact same way. Doesnt matter what dept ur from, you and I would know exactly what to so there is no need worry about competency. Now someone shows up who is a wild card...........yeah ur are on the perimeter dude.

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

PD Chiefs/Sheriff/ Average Copper , etc are concerned about the level of competency of LE will show up (ie:  what we refer to as a "blue bar" hero (blue bars are awarded for valor in our AOP)

J-

I'm a MACTAC instructor for our region.  Funny thing (and you are right) is that those who can't get on board with team or multiple officer movements are totally on board with this.  Those of us who have seen Blue on Blue incidents in training are "ummmmm - no"
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Trust me, last thing I want to do is debate tactical guys, you are awesome and appreciate what you do.

Clarification for discussion.

Hero911 app is free and restricted to LEOs.

The app provides situational awareness, if you are an LEO within 10-15 miles of active school shooting do you want to know yes or no.  If no don't download the app.  If yes, in uniform you will can receive 45 or 60 or 90 second head start before dispatch.  If off duty, pure situational awareness.   If you have training, communication,identification and common sense and choose to respond that is on you to follow policy and do best you can during these horrible situations.  You will obviously not screech to stop at front door and run in with long hair and blue jeans waiving gun.  You will park in tactical position, use your senses and pair up with uniform.  Officer safety is huge, most believe benefits outweigh risks.   If you are worried about being shot saving kids, no worries stay home.

The Hero app works with SchoolGuard service for schools www.schoolguard.com. Even if your local schools don't have SchoolGuard yet, there is value to Hero911, officers are active in 50 states, schools are in 6 states and growing fast.  The hero911 app now sends a low key situational awareness message for any active shooting incident nationwide.  So bells and whistles if near a school shooting, low key push message if a thousand miles away for situational awareness.  SchoolGuard costs $99 per month, unlimited teachers receive panic button plus set up fee for geo fences.  The teach app calls 911 AND before 911 answers every teacher and nearby LEO receive the alert www.hero911.org for details.

Yes, we hope to recoup our tech investment, we work for free so far.  We are in it for right reasons.  If someone wants to do this for free, God love ya, you will put us out of business. Thanks again for what you do.   Constructive input appreciated!

Michael Snyders President Hero911 Network
Retired Colonel Illinois State Police
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Wait, so an educator in the school hits a button and the alarm goes nation wide before dispatch gets it?

Some teacher is going to hit the button accidentally and theres going to be 100 pissed off, plainothes, off duty cops in that school wondering why they were pulled from their drycleaning runs and grocery shopping and you're probably going to have one or two shoot at each other, on a mistaken alarm call, from a lack of ID and visibility.

Is there some kind if check on this alarm system to prevent that from happening.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#18]

I hear ya'.  One officer should have the designated "Cooler Car" that's full of cold beer incase there's a false alarm activation.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top