Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 1:38:01 PM EDT
Does anyone have an alternate solution to those little brass clasp thingys that hold pins on your uniform?  I've seen a few alternatives over the years, but I have no idea what they are called to buy some.  I'm getting tired of coming home and missing 1 or 2 of the brass ones.  

If you use something better, can you please post a link to where I could buy some.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I cut the erasers off pencils and use them. Annoys the hell out of my secretary but I haven't lost a name plate in years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Google pin backs. You can get different types. Or try a surplus joint, fabric place or local uniform shop.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My Dad, a Navy Chief, called them 'clutches'.  Eraser, or folded up paper will do in a pinch.

Ex-Navy Boomer Puke.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I cut the erasers off pencils and use them. Annoys the hell out of my secretary but I haven't lost a name plate in years.
View Quote

^^^^This.  

I used to keep one of the retractable erasers in my Dress Uniform bag so that I always had one.  Two 'clicks' of the eraser and then cut it with a knife.  Worked great and never had an issue.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My Dad, a Navy Chief, called them 'clutches'.  Eraser, or folded up paper will do in a pinch.

Ex-Navy Boomer Puke.
View Quote

I always called them turtles.  You have to admit, they do kind of look like turtles.

Little bitty turtles.
Without legs.
In bad light.
If you squint.
And maybe drinking helps.
Drinking heavily.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Clutchbacks.  Also called "dammits"

You can buy a bag of them off of Ebay.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
locking pin back I use these
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Clutches or keepers are the more "official" terms, but "damnits" is more widely used in some circles - as that's waht you say when you lose 'em.

I use things that look sort of like this, but not quite:  http://www.amazon.com/Marsales-Military-Pin-Keepers/dp/B005ERJTN8/ref=pd_sim_misc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=05N46K1KSGMX7JN6XP8R

If the reviews are any indication, though, those should do the trick.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The best are the black rubber ones, got some 10 years ago and still using the same ones. Alot less frustrating not having grab those little release tabs. They never come loose unless you rub against someone/something hard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Just get these and thank me later.

http://m.qmuniforms.com/lawpro-klench-fasteners-for-insignia-pins-or-name-tags
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I swap all my brass ones out for these

Much better and have a better hold than the brass ones.  Also they seem to rub or catch less on your shirt or vest.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Clutchbacks.  Also called "dammits"

You can buy a bag of them off of Ebay.
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guess I'm late to the rodeo again.  I came here to post both of these!!

('cause everytime you lose one you say............)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm tired of the seatbelts ripping the badge off my shirt
We just went back to metal badges because the younger guys convinced the boss that the sewn badges we've used the last couple of years weren't professional enough.
Me, after 25 years of putting brass on a  shirt every day, I was happy to have wash and wear uniforms I didn't have to tinker with.
So now I've had a badge that's fallen off a number of times, in large part to the seat belt ripping it off my shirt from the constant in and out of the car

I know, I know...first world problems.
Now the young kids want to wear all their awards. They seem to have about one apiece and want to show off the one pin they have. Me, that's another 6 or seven pins I'd have to sort out and wear.
When I was in the military I'd only wear about half my ribbons and bling on my class As

Don't get me started on the service stripes they just authorized
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm tired of the seatbelts ripping the badge off my shirt
We just went back to metal badges because the younger guys convinced the boss that the sewn badges we've used the last couple of years weren't professional enough.
Me, after 25 years of putting brass on a  shirt every day, I was happy to have wash and wear uniforms I didn't have to tinker with.
So now I've had a badge that's fallen off a number of times, in large part to the seat belt ripping it off my shirt from the constant in and out of the car

I know, I know...first world problems.
Now the young kids want to wear all their awards. They seem to have about one apiece and want to show off the one pin they have. Me, that's another 6 or seven pins I'd have to sort out and wear.
When I was in the military I'd only wear about half my ribbons and bling on my class As

Don't get me started on the service stripes they just authorized
View Quote

My department use to issue us polo type shirts with a sewn on badge and name tape. I love those. Someone decided it unprofessional and got rid of them.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:34:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The best are the black rubber ones, got some 10 years ago and still using the same ones. Alot less frustrating not having grab those little release tabs. They never come loose unless you rub against someone/something hard.
View Quote

Yep, I prefer the rubber ones. They hold much better.

These
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:20:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:52:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My department use to issue us polo type shirts with a sewn on badge and name tape. I love those. Someone decided it unprofessional and got rid of them.

View Quote

Same thing at my part time place
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I use the cheap plastic/rubber key chain thing. Like the ones the dealerships give away. Cut a small piece and put on. Voilla, they stay put. I only use them for collar stays though, as my agency uses screw on name plates.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Not pretty but works awesome.

I usually take the top from a plastic coffee can and throw it in my trunk.

I cut squares off and use it as a back...I usually get a year out of them but can get more if I reuse the same hole.

Alot of guys now use them as I have a couple covers in my car at all times.

I've also used the plastic cover on the top of 9V batteries that the department buys...a bit thicker but work great.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I always called them "dammits."  Erasers work well, as said.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#23]
We call them "damn its". Every time you loose one you say damn it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

These
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These

Yup
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

we call them the same thing in the military.
I have a magnetic name badge.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

See, I always thought they were damnits cause when you get whacked on the forehead and have two parallel scars on your forehead, you say "Damn it".

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I have some locking ones, that you have to turn to open, pm me your addy and I will get some to you in the mail to see if you like them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Damnits!

Try Rubber Earring Backs  - they're smaller and less expensive
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use these and they are great. An eraser is a close second though. For what its worth in military college we called them tits or damnits lol. Doubt that will help in a google search though
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the suggestions.  I went on ebay and bought 100 of the rubber ones for $9.00.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#31]
For name badge been using magnetic back for a long time. Everything else is the yellow push in type. I would go magnetic everything if it would work. And work replaces broken/damaged items if done while on duty.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions.  I went on ebay and bought 100 of the rubber ones for $9.00.
View Quote

Backing helps keep them on too, try an old credit card (or a new one that you need to quit using, we are cops after all lol) and cut it to just a little bigger than the tag or pin its holding. Put the pin on and push the backing on the inside of the shirt, then the tits. It will help them stay on and even if you lose one it will hold your pin in place till you fix it. An added bonus is it makes the uniform look sharp too. Ive also noticed when I wear shirt stays im less likely to lose my damnits, I can only assume its because my shirt is pulled tight against my vest so they dont pull and tug when I move or run
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm using the yellow, rubber filled, plastic tabs that I found at a uniform shop. 2 years with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top