Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 8:58:16 PM EDT
Early 40s and fit.
USAR officer and OEF Vet
No real record other than 2 tickets over the past 10 years and got in trouble driving w/o license when I was 16.

Hopefully, going into the academy for the next class. Taking the polygraph test Thursday for my application.
Plan on staying in USAR as long as I can and deploying every 1.5 to 2 years.

Advice?

Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to the academy part time in july....I'm excited and nervous at the same time.  Kinda know what to expect and a friend is doing it with me so thats helpful.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Which one?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Based on my experience...

Keep your mouth shut, your head down, and give 100% effort.  I developed good relationships with several instructors, and still keep in touch with them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on my experience...

Keep your mouth shut, your head down, and give 100% effort.  I developed good relationships with several instructors, and still keep in touch with them.
View Quote

This is the best advice you can get right here.
One of my instructors told us "You have two ears and one mouth, use them in proportion". Best advice I ever received and saved me a lot of trouble later in life and work. When I followed it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#5]
CONGRATS!
Stay Safe!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck.

Advice:
1. Make the academy the #1 priority in your life.  It's not like your job depends on it or anything...
2. Be humble and open-minded.  Remember, you are joining them, not viceyversey.
3. Most LE agencies are very military friendly, but don't abuse that.  Get them your drill schedule as soon as it comes out, and be real picky about volunteering for extra drills, AT's, ADOS/ADSW, or deployments,  this goes double for when you are new-hire probation.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
We hire all year and have projected openings come October.  We just hired 10 and are hiring 10 more.  Where are you located and where do you want to work?  IM me with the info...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#8]
The right attitude is everything.  Don't be the guy who thinks that he can skate just because you're older and a veteran.  Police academies are para military, but I doubt they are nearly as hard as military training.  That said, if you become a problem child, the instructors will pick on you until you fix yourself or you're out.  Physically, it shouldn't be a challenge for you, like it will be for younger fat kids that don't have your background.  Academics can be tough.  Expect a 70% or higher passing score on all tests and only a few tests that you can fail before getting booted.  Devote majority of your time to studying the material, streets, laws, etc.  Academy is just the first step, and in my opinion, the easy part.  You can blend in with the class and make it through. Once you get out on the street, expect stuff that contradicts some of your academy experiences and training officers that are much younger than you, but single handedly control your carreer.  And their focus is 100% on you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure your tags are up to date and you have car insurance.  Lots of recruits are eliminated on day one for this very thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Early 40s and fit.
USAR officer and OEF Vet
No real record other than 2 tickets over the past 10 years and got in trouble driving w/o license when I was 16.

Hopefully, going into the academy for the next class. Taking the polygraph test Thursday for my application.

Advice?

Wish me luck.
View Quote

meh I did it at 46..no mil exp, not really in shape, was pushing guns retail before I got dared to try it by another 40 something. Long story short I was the first one on my class hired, way before graduation. Like was said build relationships w/your instructor's. One of them is my Lt. He said everyday was a job interview and he repeated that a few times. After I got hired he said he is no longer shocked by the same students being late, every day,  turning in HW late, texting/talking/BSin in class etc..then the same ones whine that he wont put in a good word for them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Early 40s and fit.
USAR officer and OEF Vet

Advice?

Wish me luck.
View Quote

I wouldn't mention that during the hiring process, but good luck.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:06:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Early 40s and fit.

USAR officer and OEF Vet

Advice?

Wish me luck.

+1000

They hired a new guy and he was assigned to my shift. Been running short for over a  year.

Great. Now we can start taking some time off. Wrong.

The next day, he was deployed for over a year.

I'm sure you've already let the cat out on your USAR obligations. Wouldn't be surprised if "something" popped on your polygraph to disqualify you.

At least my old PD would of done something like that from having to hire another full-time "part-timer" LEO.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Study your law!

Learn the definitions of probable cause and reasonable suspicion. Learn the BARK laws, Burglary Assault Robbery Kidnapping.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Make sure your tags are up to date and you have car insurance.  Lots of recruits are eliminated on day one for this very thing.
View Quote

Eliminated? I'm pretty sure you mean disciplined.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Which one?
View Quote

assuming its a cop gig since he has to take a poly for his prehire
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:29:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which one?

Jesus Christ that avatar is freaking scary!

I'd rather have the AIDs dude from last night spit on me again than have to jump face first from the second floor of a burning house while on fire.

You should change that freaking avatar picture to a fuzzy kitten or something.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Took the polygraph and didn't have any problems. I have 3 excellent recommendations from 3 LEOs. They give the test 2 times. The only problem I had was one questions the second time when he asked me "have you ever lied to authorities" and my wife popped up in my head. He laughed when I told him.

My deployments are short (about 4 to 7 months).

Everything is up to date with regard to my insurance etc..

I was told always dress nice when meeting with any LEOs in the process of applying. So, I always dressed up and it made a difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top