Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2014 1:00:17 PM EDT
I'm in the process if being hired on at a Fire Department and I'm trying to figure out what I'll be making yearly.
All I know is that I'd be paid $11 an hour working 24 on and 48 off. My understanding that they do not go by the 40 hour work week rule.

I'm currently making around $27k at $13 an hour working 40-45 hours a week taking home about $1070 bi-weekly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
$11x24hours= $264 per 24hrs worked
365days / 3 days (1 day on 2 days off)= 121.6 days worked per year
121.6 days worked per year x $264 pay per 24 hours=$32,102.4 ish/ year

The power of a calculator.. and I didn't even have to pass common core math.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
plus you get 2/3 of the year to have another job
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$11x24hours= $264 per 24hrs worked
365days / 3 days (1 day on 2 days off)= 121.6 days worked per year
121.6 days worked per year x $264 pay per 24 hours=$32,102.4 ish/ year

The power of a calculator.. and I didn't even have to pass common core math.
View Quote

Firefighters work a 56 hour work week when on a Kelly or Modified Kelly type schedule. Doing this math comes out to $32,032 so pretty damn close to the above math.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually you will be working 212 hrs per month before overtime per the FLSA ,like $2332 per month times 12 right around 28000. That would be your standard 9 days per month minus 4 hours .overtime will hep and like the man said 9 DAYS  A MONTH !!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I didn't know how to calculate the wage since all I've ever done was work on the 40hr/wk deal and military.

Basically I was wanting to compare what I make now to what I would be making in the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You could come to the oilfield and make around 14 an hour. But you get all the over time you want. I know young guys making 80 grand pretty easily.Most pump operators only work hard for 2 hours a day then they watch movies all day long in the truck or the bigger pumps.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You could come to the oilfield and make around 14 an hour. But you get all the over time you want. I know young guys making 80 grand pretty easily.Most pump operators only work hard for 2 hours a day then they watch movies all day long in the truck or the bigger pumps.
View Quote

Worked in oil field supply, it was decent money until I was laid off.
Then I worked retail for a little over a year until they wouldn't let me work over 15 hours a week and all the new guys started off higher in pay than I was making, so I quit.

I recently got a job 2 months ago as a Lab Tech for a lab that runs liquid, sulphur, and gas samples for the oil field. I like the job. It's low on stress, but I'd really like to put my education to use. I could go back to college and finish my degree in science and have the potential to make better a better salary doing what I do now, but those I work with that have done that are working over 12hr day 7 days a week and hardly have time off.

I tried out for this fire department last July, and they recently contacted me due to an opening in their department.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget that 3 of those 56 per week are overtime hours as 53 is all they can work you per flsa.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
That is shit for pay sorry, our brand new probies are making way more, but you do need to put up with libtards
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is shit for pay sorry, our brand new probies are making way more, but you do need to put up with libtards
View Quote

Yeah...it's not a big city. Hopefully in the future I'll move towards a different department.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:16:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo.  Firefighting is the best part-time job a guy could have.  

It seems like a lot of the local FF's have side businesses doing lawn care/landscaping, remodeling/handyman, window washing, etc.  They can also make pretty good OT just picking up a couple of extra shifts every pay period.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It seems like a lot of the local FF's have side businesses doing lawn care/landscaping, remodeling/handyman, window washing, etc.  They can also make pretty good OT just picking up a couple of extra shifts every pay period.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OT, what is that?

A lot of factors go into pay, and at least in my AO, contracts and other benefits vary widely. OP, are you doing straight fire or fire/EMS? What sort of training is the Department providing, uniforms, etc?

Regardless welcome to the brotherhood
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OT, what is that?

A lot of factors go into pay, and at least in my AO, contracts and other benefits vary widely. OP, are you doing straight fire or fire/EMS? What sort of training is the Department providing, uniforms, etc?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OT, what is that?

Just Fire. They will provide uniforms.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Fire around here make approximately that but they run  part time medical. I work EMS and made 42k last year. The OT is where your money comes from but you will soon learn there is a fine line between not getting enough OT and working too much and then they just take out so much taxes you pretty much worked for free. Right now If I can work 6 24 hour shifts every two weeks I bring home a nice paycheck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Actually you will be working 212 hrs per month before overtime per the FLSA ,like $2332 per month times 12 right around 28000. That would be your standard 9 days per month minus 4 hours .overtime will hep and like the man said 9 DAYS  A MONTH !!!!
View Quote

depends on if they run Kelly or not..   i work 96 hrs in a pay period and it still takes a few tricks of OT to hit the FLSA cut off..  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

traditionally that was very common bc we didn't make dick..  now wages are up to something considered acceptable..  (at least in most parts of the country )
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Entry level money isnt the best but if you hang around and get some promotions its not to bad.in my case  it was a perfect, fit for someone to lazy to work and to nervous to steal.i would rather have been a Firefighter in Kodiak Alaska than a pimp in Las Vegas.great job, great career,plenty of time to go hunting!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OT, what is that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OT, what is that?

One of the benefits of working at a smallish dept with minimum staffing, I worked almost 400 hours of OT last year. Also having a 48 hour work week makes pulling the OT shifts a lot easier.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

One of the benefits of working at a smallish dept with minimum staffing, I worked almost 400 hours of OT last year. Also having a 48 hour work week makes pulling the OT shifts a lot easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OT, what is that?

I tried to get minimum staffing on our contract but it was a no go. Right now the Chief fills in on 24 hour shifts in order to save on OT.  It cheats us out of OT and extra hands when he is not there on the week days. I normally pass on the OT because I work part time at a Emergency room based Ambulance Service. As senior Medic my pay there is close to OT pay at the FD.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I tried to get minimum staffing on our contract but it was a no go. Right now the Chief fills in on 24 hour shifts in order to save on OT.  It cheats us out of OT and extra hands when he is not there on the week days. I normally pass on the OT because I work part time at a Emergency room based Ambulance Service. As senior Medic my pay there is close to OT pay at the FD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OT, what is that?

so if the chief doesn't want to fill in do you guys go lean?   thats concerning ...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe  if I remember correctly multiply  the hourly rate by 3316 and that should get you ball park on the base salery with built in overtime , I am assuming anything over 40 hours in a week is at time and a half
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#23]
They pay OT if the Chief can not or does not want it. We are a combination department so lean is normal. One man per station 48 on 96 off
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They pay OT if the Chief can not or does not want it. We are a combination department so lean is normal. One man per station 48 on 96 off
View Quote

stay safe brother...  
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Staffing numbers and how many incidents a year?  Just curious...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#26]
In South Florida you're looking at $45,000-$65,000 starting pay depending on the department. I cannot fathom working for $11/hr.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In South Florida you're looking at $45,000-$65,000 starting pay depending on the department. I cannot fathom working for $11/hr.
View Quote

Where I'm at you can get a NICE house for $150k with a chunk of land. It's all about the cost of living. I think most of our local FF start out at about 11 an hour.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#28]
We just got a bump in pay around October.  A certified FF/EMT starts off around $10 hr.  It's low pay but we also have low cost of living.  Our pay is pretty close to some bigger departments within an hours drive.  The further north you go in the state you will run into depts paying double our salary but their cost of living is at least double ours.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Are there any big cities you can work for but live outside, maybe an hour away, where the property is cheaper. Down here even an hour away is still ridiculously expensive.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

We just got a bump in pay around October.  A certified FF/EMT starts off around $10 hr.  It's low pay but we also have low cost of living.  Our pay is pretty close to some bigger departments within an hours drive.  The further north you go in the state you will run into depts paying double our salary but their cost of living is at least double ours.
View Quote

i have found this to be common.. where areas where cost of living is incredibly low when compared to other states and cities, the pay is concurrent.   i plan on taking my north east state pension retirement down south with me in 30 years if I'm still alive.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#31]
When I started it was for 8.24 per hour... I will never forget that number lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top