Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2014 7:17:45 PM EDT
Currently I live in the greater Chicago area and I cant even begin to state how much I hate my current situation. It seems most PD's around the area give preference points for degrees equal to military service, sometimes more. There is on average 150-200 people applying for every opening. Anywhere from $25-50 just to process your application.

I have friends I served with who had to write an essay about why they wanted to be a police officer, then had an email requesting an interview a few weeks later. Nearly every test I take I score in the top 10%, which is about the top 40 people. I'll make it on an eligibility list, then my spot will get passed over by an applicant who has the state police certification (In IL you can not send yourself through the academy, you need sponsorship from a dept).

Is this normal, or is this just the shithole area of Chicago?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Currently I live in the greater Chicago area and I cant even begin to state how much I hate my current situation. It seems most PD's around the area give preference points for degrees equal to military service, sometimes more. There is on average 150-200 people applying for every opening. Anywhere from $25-50 just to process your application.

I have friends I served with who had to write an essay about why they wanted to be a police officer, then had an email requesting an interview a few weeks later. Nearly every test I take I score in the top 10%, which is about the top 40 people. I'll make it on an eligibility list, then my spot will get passed over by an applicant who has the state police certification (In IL you can not send yourself through the academy, you need sponsorship from a dept).

View Quote

Pretty normal.

Having to be sponsored to go through an academy  isn't particularly normal and I can see how that could be a big roadblock.  Have you considered moving?  You might have to.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are pluses and minuses to the system your state has.  The negative for you is that it's very hard to get in the door in LE work since you are at a distinct disadvantage since you can't self sponsor.

The advantage is, states that allow you to self sponsor tend to have plenty of applicants for the available jobs so that tends to keep pay lower.  

This is normal.  If you can't get your foot in the door where you live, then you'll need to go elsewhere.  

I do have a question for you....are you saying that you get charged money to apply to departments??
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Its pretty competitive. It's normal to see hundreds to applicants for a few openings. It may just be me but it definitely sounds like it harder to get a LEO job in the nothern states. Looks like you need to move down south.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I applied for 4 LE agencues in north Texas in 2012, all tested hundreds of people for 1 or 2 positions. I think one tested but had no open positions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty normal.

Having to be sponsored to go through an academy  isn't particularly normal and I can see how that could be a big roadblock.  Have you considered moving?  You might have to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty normal.

I would love to move, I consider it daily. I just dont see how I could test in other states, preferably the SE, due to cost of testing. Here you attend an orientation, then come back a couple weeks later to have a test. I simply couldn't afford to be driving or flying back and forth between places especially that i'm working and a full time student.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#6]

There are pluses and minuses to the system your state has.  The negative for you is that it's very hard to get in the door in LE work since you are at a distinct disadvantage since you can't self sponsor.

The advantage is, states that allow you to self sponsor tend to have plenty of applicants for the available jobs so that tends to keep pay lower.  

This is normal.  If you can't get your foot in the door where you live, then you'll need to go elsewhere.  

I do have a question for you....are you saying that you get charged money to apply to departments??
View Quote

Yes, every time. I think i have seen 2 departments out of the 10+ I have applied for that didn't require an application fee. The state even charges you about $45 a year to conduct some sort of physical ability test where you get an ID card saying you passed the physical portion of testing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:33:22 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was hired my agency cut off applications at 850 for 12 jobs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Everybody and their brother wants to get into law enforcement.  Been that way for years.   Look at it from the hiring side.  If they can get officers already certified, why wouldn't they?  It saves the department a ton of money and presumably gets them an applicant with some experience.  Toss in most departments are getting applicants with four year degrees on top of that, and its extremely hard to break in.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]
In AZ a lot of the bigger agencies have been on hiring freezes for years. Thousands of applicants for three or four positions is normal when someone does hire.  Lots of competition that has both military experience and a degree.

Nobody here charges to test though, that is crooked east coast shenanigans, and many agencies will accommodate out of town applicants with all the tests and interviews in a short period.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everybody and their brother wants to get into law enforcement.  Been that way for years.   Look at it from the hiring side. If they can get officers already certified, why wouldn't they?  It saves the department a ton of money and presumably gets them an applicant with some experience.  Toss in most departments are getting applicants with four year degrees on top of that, and its extremely hard to break in.
View Quote

That is where my main gripe comes in. I was an MP while I served and had coursework and schooling for accident investigation and reconstruction, nearly all my time serving was in the policing role. I am really trying to get into the civilian side of things.

I understand the perspective about its cost effective to hire a already certified applicant, but why can't they just open up lateral transfers compared to giving so many hundreds of applicants hope that they might become PO's one day, have them pay for their application fees, and then the end result is just hiring prior certified applicants.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is where my main gripe comes in. I was an MP while I served and had coursework and schooling for accident investigation and reconstruction, nearly all my time serving was in the policing role. I am really trying to get into the civilian side of things.

I understand the perspective about its cost effective to hire a already certified applicant, but why can't they just open up lateral transfers compared to giving so many hundreds of applicants hope that they might become PO's one day, have them pay for their application fees, and then the end result is just hiring prior certified applicants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everybody and their brother wants to get into law enforcement.  Been that way for years.   Look at it from the hiring side. If they can get officers already certified, why wouldn't they?  It saves the department a ton of money and presumably gets them an applicant with some experience.  Toss in most departments are getting applicants with four year degrees on top of that, and its extremely hard to break in.

If you can sell a few thousand tests per year at $50 each, you just paid a couple salaries for the year.  A paid system encourages them to test everybody that they can find.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Very normal.

My suggestion to all future applicants is:

Military experience
language skills
some form of volunteer work in a community
don't associate with loser friends
Social media can and will be checked
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because hiring via lateral usually has someone starting at a higher rate of pay. Towns and cities hire certified people as new officers to save money on training and salary.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#14]
One of my local county PDs usually has 30,000+ people show up and pay $100 to take the hiring exam for maybe 100 openings.

More than 31,000 men and women turned out Saturday to take the Suffolk County police officer exam......
<snip>
The overall turnout Saturday fell short of the 42,000 applicants Suffolk Police lured for an exam in the late 1990s, but topped the 28,000 who showed up four years ago, the last time the exam was offered, Schneider said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#15]
A couple years ago in MI, there were 19 academies in the state pumping out 400(certified) recruits a year with a less than 50% re-hire rate for lost positions.

Corrections is way easier to get into.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't remember the last time my agency had less than 50k or so applicants, for a single vacancy, in any area (federal). And no silly fees.

Consider yourself lucky!
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Seattle PD has quarterly test sessions.  sometimes 20 openings, sometimes 10.  Last session I heard there was 1600 applicants for 10 spots.  It filled the University of Washington auditorium to capacity for 2 different test sessions.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Last session I heard there was 1600 applicants for 10 spots.  It filled the University of Washington auditorium to capacity for 2 different test sessions.
View Quote

The one time I took my county's PD exam we took it at the local sports arena. 2 separate testing sessions and both were packed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
When I got on, i made it into a class of 30 out of 2000 original applicants, filtered down to a list of less than 100 eligible for employment.  I don't really know what made me stand out, but LE is a very competitive field to get in to.  I've never dealt with an agency that would charge a fee for taking a test though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The one time I took my county's PD exam we took it at the local sports arena. 2 separate testing sessions and both were packed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last session I heard there was 1600 applicants for 10 spots.  It filled the University of Washington auditorium to capacity for 2 different test sessions.

Chicago Police was the same way, they used McCormick place which is where the car shows and giant conventions are held.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Chicago Police was the same way, they used McCormick place which is where the car shows and giant conventions are held.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The arena we were at holds about 17,500.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't really know what made me stand out, but LE is a very competitive field to get in to.
View Quote

Depends on the department.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would love to move, I consider it daily. I just dont see how I could test in other states, preferably the SE, due to cost of testing. Here you attend an orientation, then come back a couple weeks later to have a test. I simply couldn't afford to be driving or flying back and forth between places especially that i'm working and a full time student.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty normal.

Most other states you don't pay anything to test with the department.  Frankly, I've never heard of that....until now.

If you can't get into LE in your area, then you need to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you can sell a few thousand tests per year at $50 each, you just paid a couple salaries for the year.  A paid system encourages them to test everybody that they can find.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.

OP:
If you want to go to work for an organization, you have to meet their needs.  Apparently you haven't been able to meet their needs so far.  It sucks...I do understand that.  But they decide what and who they need...not you or me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't really know what made me stand out, but LE is a very competitive field to get in to.

Well yeah, there are rural SOs in the state that pay like $12/hour to start, and accept only applicants that are POST certified.  Who the hell wants to pay several grand to put yourself through a CC academy that takes 6 months to a year (night courses), just so you can make the same money as a mall security guard?  Quality of those departments reflects the adage "you get what you pay for".  The rare quality people that go to work in Podunkville are either there because they really like living in a rural area, or they use it as a stepping stone to get experience and go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you can't get into LE in your area, then you need to look elsewhere.
View Quote

This is true too.  Before you get older, married, have kids and become less flexible in general, you need to go wherever the opportunities are.  Big agencies will conduct all the testing on out of state applicants in a matter of a few days, but getting there is on you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good point.

OP:
If you want to go to work for an organization, you have to meet their needs.  Apparently you haven't been able to meet their needs so far.  It sucks...I do understand that.  But they decide what and who they need...not you or me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.

OP:

It's very possible that many applicants exceed the standards and don't get hired.  If they have 5000 applicants, and 5 openings, they might narrow those 5000 down to the  100 best scoring.  Then they have to choose...  Why they choose the old fat guy and the nervous 100 pound Asian girl is a mystery.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Story on Nebraska State Patrol and a lack of applicants: http://www.omaha.com/article/20140330/NEWS/140339926

They extended the application date to April 7th. Notable quotes:

Last fall, 26 recruits accepted job offers, but the State Patrol wanted to hire at least 34. Since training started in February, five people have dropped out, leaving only 21 recruits still in training.
View Quote

The Omaha Police Department and the Douglas County Sheriff's Office haven't struggled to fill open positions.

Last spring, 1,835 people applied to become Omaha police officers. Omaha will start training 38 new officers in April.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#29]
My fed agency had ONE entry level (GS-7) 1811 spot in a locality many would not like/take.  The announcement was listed for 5 days.  We got almost 4,000 applications with 3,700 or so being marked as qualified.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's very possible that many applicants exceed the standards and don't get hired.  If they have 5000 applicants, and 5 openings, they might narrow those 5000 down to the  100 best scoring.  Then they have to choose...  Why they choose the old fat guy and the nervous 100 pound Asian girl is a mystery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.

OP:

Old fat guy will age out/retire early at a reduced rate and the other fits a demographic....
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is there a starting hourly pay range you are looking at? What would you consider acceptable? I'm just curious as to what other agencies such as thoses in your area would start at.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I was 1 of 200,000 applicants when I got on with Customs in 99 or 2000. I jumped ship in 2002 to my current gig. I hope to be here until I retire in 10 years. I would look at the fed side. There should be some openings coming open before too long.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#33]
All of that to be a cop??? Down here where I live they hire any dumbass redneck kid that wants to wear a gun and a vest.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
All of that to be a cop??? Down here where I live they hire any dumbass redneck kid that wants to wear a gun and a vest.
View Quote

In parts of the country where the PDs pay high, the status goes up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Excerpt from an article about one of my country's regular patrolman.

His annual salary in 2011 was $182,748.

And a small local department.

The highest salary reported for any group of local employees was the $175,818 average collected by 23 Village of Amityville police officers, according to the report.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#36]
8 years ago, when I lived in Wisconsin, I tested for my hometown PD.  There were 300-400ish applicants for 5 spots.  Coincidentally, I went to school with all 5 that got hired.  4 of them had fathers on the Dept and the 5th worked part time for a PD in college.  Moral of the story: if you don't have connections, you need prior experience.

Back to the OP.  Sponsor yourself through an academy or keep applying even it it's places you don't really want to live.  Or try a jail.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Somewhat normal, it all depends on where you are in the country and how desirable the department is for pay and benefits.

As already mentioned, you have to realize that over 50% of those applicants aren't anywhere near the quality the department is looking to hire, so as long as you manage to get an application in, be happy about that 50% that will test lower than you.

The first time I ever applied for a department, back in the early 90's, there were 3 openings and the department was giving out 500 numbered applications starting at 0800 on a given day.  I got there at 0300 hours to get in line and was still numbered application 127.  I made it down to the final 25 applicants, but wasn't one of the final 3.

The most recent time I tested, when I moved out here to TX, I was 1 of about 90, but the department didn't have ANY openings at the time, and they ended up with 2 openings from that test, and I got one of them.

If you are locked in on location, do what you can with what you have, but if you are willing to relocate, your opportunities can open up a lot more.  You just have to be willing to get out there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

8 years ago, when I lived in Wisconsin, I tested for my hometown PD.  There were 300-400ish applicants for 5 spots.  Coincidentally, I went to school with all 5 that got hired.  4 of them had fathers on the Dept and the 5th worked part time for a PD in college.  Moral of the story: if you don't have connections, you need prior experience.

View Quote

Back to the OP.  Sponsor yourself through an academy or keep applying even it it's places you don't really want to live.  Or try a jail.
There is truth here.
My local Sheriff's Office only has 20 commissioned deputies, but almost all of them are related to each other in one way. (Cousins, marriage etc etc.)
Local city officer here told me it's almost impossible to get a job in these parts without the "who you know" factor playing a major part.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#39]
It took me about 2 weeks to get my first job as a cop in SC.  When I moved to FL, it took me about 4 weeks to get hired.  I say it's your area... we hire year-round down here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#40]
You think that bad take a look at US Deputy Marshal positions when they pop up, youre competing against 10-30k+ applicants...
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You think that bad take a look at US Deputy Marshal positions when they pop up, youre competing against 10-30k+ applicants...
View Quote

And if no Vet pref you are SOL.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Its pretty competitive. It's normal to see hundreds to applicants for a few openings. It may just be me but it definitely sounds like it harder to get a LEO job in the nothern states. Looks like you need to move down south.
View Quote
And get paid janitor wages.

ETA. And if you are in school for criminal justice, change that shit.

Not worth the paper its printed on.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't really realize that until I was starting my masters.  Eventually, I'm going to go back and get a different 2-year in something like finance or business.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I didn't really realize that until I was starting my masters.  Eventually, I'm going to go back and get a different 2-year in something like finance or business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Contracting Specialists are where its at.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Pretty standard.  Keep at it if you really want it.  The more you persevere the more you'll stand out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Back in 2000 my dept would get about 40 applications per opening. Now it's 300-400 applications.  Times have changed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#47]
When I took the fire exam in 94, there were 8500 people took the test on a Saturday. We filled 3 different high schools. I scored well on the written and physical agility test and placed 112 on the list. I was in the second class of 40 in 96.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#48]
When I took the test for CBP I was in a hotel ball room with like 200 people.

I've been through testings where 2000 people applied for an academy that was only going to have 25.  

Economy sucks, people want careers and good paying jobs.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like things haven't changed much in the past few years. I had similar experiences testing in the Chicago area about 5-6 years ago. I had to look elsewhere and finally got the hell out of there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top