Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2001 10:37:39 PM EDT
Okay, I know this is bonehead basic but buying clothes over the Internet is not my cup o' tea.  See previous thread about leather jackets, this one in particular and another like it.

[img]http://www.wilsonleather.com/images//product/products/main_big/19559-01_b.jpg[/img]

Well, here's my dilemma. When I measure my chest, I'm 39 inches from under my arms. The size chart for this jacket says:

Leather Jacket Suit Size
S 36-38
M 40-42
L 42-44
XL 46-48

I'm not too sure how these kinds of jackets are supposed to fit....I ordered a size Large and it looks like it may be too big, especially the length of the sleeve is what I'm worried about.

So, the question to make a long story short is: What size should I get? Medium or Large? Is large going to be too big or is Medium going to be too fitted?

Sigh....

:confused:  :confused:  :confused:

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If your chest measurement is 39, you want the Medium.  You'd probably wear a 40 jacket.  Keep in mind that with mail order you can never be certain about fit, so you may have to exchange no matter how savvy you are about sizes.

And in case you ever need to wear a dress, figure on a size 16.  My husband and I cross/dressed for Halloween this year, and he's your size, chest-wise.

By the way, feel free to email me with your fashion dilemmas, if need be.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If it was me I would get the large. Most jackets will run bigger then the size, but being a 39 you will need the extra room for you clothing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe, Kelly, but that would put him almost 2 sizes over.  It's really hard to say sometimes.

But you have a good point that you do have to allow for bulky clothes underneath (I guess, we live in Florida), and it also depends on how you like things to fit.  

On the other hand, this is a fairly tailored jacket, and if he goes to big the shoulders will look funny.  It's not like with a bomber style, where it's okay if the shoulder seams fall off the shoulders.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I always buy extra large, so I can carry my Desert Eagle 50.[;D]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I've got this. Here is the formula, measure under the arms and then add 4 inches to get your size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top