Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2001 7:09:58 PM EDT
I am posting this on behalf of my other half. This is from last seasons hunt. Yep, that is her deer. Yes, she has gotten bigger bucks than me for the last two years. So ladies lets see your deer or other animals you have taken. I will see if I can find her deer from last year and post it too.

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/biggun3006/annie&buck.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, she's got no competition from me...the only animals I've shot were with a camera.

From what I understand from our deer-hunting friend, that's a very nice animal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a nice one.  Congrats to her!  I'm not a hunter myself, but I do appreciate those who have the skills.  Deer jerky is really good, too.  Post some more pics.  We'd love to see them!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
It was her idea to put the pic here. It was also her idea to put the pics of her pumpkin and my dog in the general discussion. I will post her deer from the previous season a little later.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is the pic of her buck from the previous year. Come on somebody post a pic or two.

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/biggun3006/annies10.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh. Did I mention that she is the luckiest person I know?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
'Cause she has you, or 'cause she gets these big deer?

I suppose it's always luck if someone else gets the deer, and skill if you do:)...
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
No competition from me.  Don't hunt, won't hunt, hate hunting.  So there.  :-)

And just for the record, I don't really like seeing a dead deer (especially the one w/ blood running out of it's mouth), it would have been nice to be warned in the subject line.  Not really a complaint, just something that bugs me.  I'll probably live. :-)

Huskies4all, the vet tech animal lover.  Just call me "softie"
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Huskies4all. I apologize for the blood in the pic but, I couldn't find the version where she had cleaned that up. Please don't take offense to this but, after you saw the first pic why did you keep going to the next pic? You really should not hate hunting. After all it is no different than the meat you get at your local grocery. Baddog I guess she is lucky both ways. But, when it comes to deer hunting I would rather be lucky than good. You get much better bucks with good luck.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I had tried to be as nice as I could, but I guess all the smiley faces and self-deprecating phrases got lost somewhere.  

I am not squeamish.  I'm a vet tech and I've done/seen much grosser things than a dead deer.  All I was asking was that the subject line actually reflect the content.  Competition?  That could have been anything from how many guns your wife has to what sort of groups she got at the last trip to the range. (which was what I was expecting)
At least if the subject gave me some clue, I probably wouldn't have said anything at all.  And I'm certainly not saying that you shouldn't post the pics.

And since you brought it up, don't you DARE tell me how I should feel about hunting.  I'm not telling you that you shouldn't do it, am I?  I certainly won't tell you that, it's your own damn business.   I am married to a hunter.  I' don't even tell HIM he shouldn't do it.

There's a huge difference between meat from the grocery and wild meat. Besides the fact that it tastes like crap,  last time I checked, deer steak wasn't sold at most groceries.  

My whole day just about every day is dedicated to SAVING animal's lives.  I think I'm entitled to feel a little sad about a dead one.

Huskies4all
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Huskies4all,

Easy, killer!  When I read biggun's post it sounded apologetic.. then you jump off the deep end and start getting upset because somebody posted a picture of a deer they shot on ::gasp:: a [i]gun board[/i].  Regardless of the subject title, I feel you would have been offended.  

I, too, am an avid animal lover.  I take in stray and abused animals and have 5 cats, 5 dogs, 2 goats and 4 horses in my care.  I abhor seeing animals suffer to the point that I have put myself in harm's way to end abuse.  So, in that respect, I understand it is not easy to see a dead animal.

What is important to note, however, is that those deer had a better quality life (at liberty) right up until they were quickly killed by a rifle shot.  Please compare that to the often sub-standard conditions that domestic cattle, swine and poultry are raised in.  Those same creatures are then carted off to the slaughter house to wait, terrorized by the sights, sounds and knowledge of where they are, for their turn to die.  NOW tell me how much better you feel about that sanitized piece of neatly wrapped meat you pick out of your grocery store. [rolleyes]

I live in the country and regularly visit a cattle farm where I know where those adorable babies are going to end up.  The fact is, if you are a meat eater, some animal will lose it's life to provide a meal on your table.  I don't want to be one of those people who cries over a picture of a dead deer because it is so sad but hasn't a second thought about that steak on the table.  When I eat a piece of meat, I try to remember to thank the animal that gave their life so that I could eat.

Life is not always pretty and upbeat, Huskies4all.  I'm sure you know that in your line of work.  I have always strived for QUALITY of life rather than QUANTITY of life when caring for my animals.  In the end, that deer had the better quality and quantity (if he was over a year of age) of life than the animals that gave their lives to end up in a grocery store.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Needed a warning?  Look in the upper left corner of this page.  AR15.com, what did you expect, you are on a gun site.  Warnings are to protect people from running into things unexpectedly, like nudity in a gun forum.  But a hunting pic in a gun forum?  Give me a break, the guy put a pic of his wife with a deer and he's proud of it, don't rain on his parade with PC non-sense.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#12]
In defense of Husky, though I don't feel she needs it, I don't see were she is wrong for expressing her feelings. I don't see that see in any way expressed a desire to turn this into an anti-hunting thread. To me she only made it known that for her, hunting was not something she enjoyed or excepted easily. And there is nothing wrong at all with that.

Miss Magnum,
Excellent post on your view of the pluses of hunting. Spot on the quality of life of animals, wild vs. domestic. One big issue I wanted to include is the large wild deer population and death by starvation or vehicle or suffering from vehicle injury. Thanks to mans population expansion and incroachment into once wild areas and killing of natural predators. Hunting is a very important part of wild game animals quality of life. For me I would rather see the photo of a humanly killed animal then one totally emaciated, starving, or half crippled. Then there is the issue about placing human emotions and thoughts into animal behavior. But I will not get into that.

In all I feel we could be a bit more tolerant of each other on this subject. But hey each to there own. Personally I can see each side here. I am a hunter but I completely respect the views of those that might not care that much for it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Miss Magnum. I thank you. I couldn't have answered better myself. I believe everyone here agrees that a dead deer should not be a shock on a gun board. Does Huskies even shoot? If she doesn't why is she here? Doing a little trolling maybe?
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#14]
just a little addition to the quality of life argument MM started.  hunting actually increases the quality of life for those deer that don't get shot.  up until recently (few years or so) it was illegal to hunt deer in state parks or reservoirs.  consequently, the deer populations in these areas got so out of control that the deer were defoliaging the entire forest from shoulder height down and because there were too many deer for the forest to sustain, many of the deer were starving.

unchecked population growth results in starvation.  believe you me, it's far sadder to see a doe too weak to stand or move around much because there's nothing to eat than it is to see a nice fat healthy one taken in a good conscientious hunt.

i don't like seeing the pics either.  and while i don't hunt (as of now, could change in the future) i'm a big proponent of hunting.  someone's got to take the place of the top of the food chain since we've killed all those animals off.  now that's something to be sad about.

edited to add:  at least he didn't post a pic of her dressing it.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate seeing dead deer, but opening this post when it started and finding the hunting photo didn't surprise, shock or offend me.  It didn't because, as someone already said, this is a gun board, and hunting fits right in with the subject matter.

Other people's hunting doesn't bother me -- I just wouldn't find it enjoyable because I don't like personally killing animals for sport.  If I had to hunt in order to eat, I certainly would, but I would never choose it for recreation.  I do realize that other people's hunting has become necessary since we have eliminated most of the larger predators (wolves, coyotes, panthers, etc.).

So I see no need for biggun to warn anyone in advance that opening his hunting posts might be hazardous to someone's sensitivities.  Happy hunting!  And biggun may yet flush out some other female hunters here who will really relate to this.

Now, I'll just go cook up a chicken that's lived a truly tortured life, confined and fed antibiotics.  You'd think we could raise meat animals without abusing them during their brief lives.

Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Baddog has hit my intentions right on the head. I was hoping to get some of the lady members of the board to post some of their hunting pictures. Or if they don't hunt maybe to spark their interest in this finest of sports. I wish someone would join in here with some pictures or I might have to dig out some pics of does she has taken.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Miss Magnum. I thank you. I couldn't have answered better myself. I believe everyone here agrees that a dead deer should not be a shock on a gun board. Does Huskies even shoot? If she doesn't why is she here? Doing a little trolling maybe?
View Quote

Again not to defend Huskies4all. The only troll/flame baiting replies I have seen are yours. This is not what I would call a gun board that would be commonly associated with hunting. There is a separate forum for hunting. Possibly it would have been more appropriate to post the picture there then a link to it. FWIW I am a hunter, and a shooter and totally agree with Husky and support her point of view. There is no reason to assume all shooters are hunters or vise versa. Most hunters I have seen aren't at all what I would call shooters.
Anyway I know Husky from another board and have received a great deal of info from her about animal care and nutrition. What I know of her, she is a very good person. On that board she shares in the ladies section and is very well received. All in all seems we all need to have a bit more tolerance around here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Why I was busy being answering Huskies other opinions I forgot this part below.

"There's a huge difference between meat from the grocery and wild meat. Besides the fact that it tastes like crap, last time I checked, deer steak wasn't sold at most groceries."

While enjoying venison is subject to peoples tastes the truth in venison being available is different. The truth in it is that vension is available in certain specialty stores and even in finer restaurants. My favorite place to enjoy it is at home.

I have found that "crappy" tasting venison is often the result of how the animal was handled after being field dressed. It should be dressed immediately upon being killed and gotten to the butcher at once. No delay should be allowed in this. That means no driving it around showing it to friends or stopping for a hamburger. Straight to the butcher unless the temp is below freezing. I should stop here on this subject. I don't think anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]
posted by biggun "I believe everyone here agrees that a dead deer should not be a shock on a gun board. Does Huskies even shoot? If she doesn't why is she here? Doing a little trolling maybe?"

biggun, I'm husky's husband. Do YOU even own an AR-15??  This is an AR15 board, you did notice it said ar15.com didn't you??  I would assume that an ar15 board would be about ar15's not hunting.  Maybe you forgot and posted this thread here instead of a hunting forum??  But since you did post it hear, did you at least shoot it with an AR15??  Care to put a little money on your wife's shooting abilities against my wifes??  Since you have asked if my wifes shoots, well does my .338 win mag count?? How about trap, pistols, subguns, long range precision, deffensive, how about her own safe to keep her collection of firearms?? Do YOU or YOUR wife have a carry permit or have you applied for class 3 items of your own?? If not then maybe you aren't the big bad gun toad you think you are. Does YOUR wife even own a gun of her own or even know how to load yours?? As to question why my wife is posting here, why isn't your wife posting here, you do have a wife don't you?? And finally, please be a little more carefull calling people trolls, you have looked at the pic you posted of your wife haven't you??  Feel free to reply bubba.

(disclaimer these views are mine and mine alone, my wife felt that I should use kid gloves on you but your a big boy aren't you BIGGUN(carefull who you start pissing matches with BIGGUN you might get a little wet))

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Please, if your going to post such hostile words, put in a warning.  I accidently ran into your posts and I dont like seeing insults.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Huskies4all,

Easy, killer!  When I read biggun's post it sounded apologetic.. then you jump off the deep end and start getting upset because somebody posted a picture of a deer they shot on ::gasp:: a [i]gun board[/i].  Regardless of the subject title, I feel you would have been offended.  
View Quote

Killer...LOL!  If you really knew me you'd know just how truly hilarious that is.  And you would be wrong that I would have been offended no matter what.  I wasn't offended in the first place!

As I posted before, and as everyone here seems to have missed,(another rant, CAN'T ANYNONE READ????) I'm not offended by a dead deer.  All I asked for, in what I thought was a *truly* nice manner, was that I have just a little warning.  I also said it probably wouldn't kill me, and that I really wasn't really complaining.  BUT, I certainly am not going to sit on my hands not speak my mind.

What I am really pissed about is someone telling me how I should *feel* about anything, let alone something I feel as strongly about as hunting.  PC bull, my ass.  I don't do anything because it's pc or *not* pc.  I make up my own mind.

Here's my own disclaimer:  I had absolutely no control over my husband.  He gets a little protective. :-)
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#22]
And finally, please be a little more carefull calling people trolls, you have looked at the pic you posted of your wife haven't you??  Feel free to reply bubba.

idaho-ar15
View Quote

Thats class for ya.  Nice one, hope you feel good about that.  [:(!]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#23]
counterstrike, I'm always happy to show up at the party once it's started. Now what are you, a member of the BIGGUN fanclub.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not in anyones fan club, but how incredibly insulting for you to come in here and make a comment like that about the way the guy's wife looks.  It was biggun's thread, you guys came in and started talking crap.  The guy wanted to participate and show that he and his wife enjoy hunting. Your wife doesn't agree, fine whatever but take it elsewhere.

All the other cliche tough guy stuff you were spewing was actually entertaining, but grow up.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Idaho I am ashamed of you. No one should ever take a shot like that at anothers wife. That is a very childish thing to do. You know if you posted a pic of your wife and she just happened to be the ugliest woman on earth I would find something nice to say about her appearance. It is the gentleman thing to do. Didn't your mother teach you anything.

Yep it looks like life for you is one big pissing match. Just look at my toys and that my wife plays too.

Yes she can shoot and if you would look at the pics you would see one of the weapons. She is a very good shot. The second buck was taken with a single shot at around 175 yards(checked with a laser rangefinder). The first was a short range deal about 40 yards. No it was not shot with an AR. I don't believe we should use AR's when weapons are available that are better suited to the task. Shooting is not whether a person is comfortable taking punishment from a large caliber it is about making the shot properly.
Does your class 3 stuff make you feel big? Sounds like you have more money than sense then.

Yep I own ar15's. I have some toys too. I bet most everyone on this board does.

Yes my wife has all her own toys but always seems to take mine. Damn it!!! She has taken classes along with me. We have our little CCW cards. You know it doesnt make me feel any bigger but, I do feel that she is a little safer. She can load fire reload and clean every weapon we have. She even helps me reload our empties. She is very good at providing empty brass!!

I really don't know why I even bothered to anwser you.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:22:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

biggun, I'm husky's husband. Do YOU even own an AR-15??  This is an AR15 board, you did notice it said ar15.com didn't you??  I would assume that an ar15 board would be about ar15's not hunting.
View Quote

This is not my fight, but does this board not have a hunting forum? You must have seen it by now. This here is the women shooters forum. Does that mean hunting topics are not allowed here? Get real. Of course they are.

And finally, please be a little more carefull calling people trolls, you have looked at the pic you posted of your wife haven't you??  Feel free to reply bubba.

idaho-ar15
View Quote

I bet Husky is real proud of you right now!

Bigguns, you have a very fine wife. Too bad more women are not like her.

I used to think Idaho was a cool state. I guess there are assholes wherever you go....
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Killer...LOL!  If you really knew me you'd know just how truly hilarious that is.
View Quote

That was sarcasm.  Perhaps I should make that clear in the subject line. ::deadpan::  

I wasn't offended in the first place!

As I posted before, and as everyone here seems to have missed,(another rant, CAN'T ANYNONE READ????) I'm not offended by a dead deer.  All I asked for, in what I thought was a *truly* nice manner, was that I have just a little warning.
View Quote

If you weren't offended, then why the fuss?  Why even bring it up?  I believe everyone who understands this is a gun board has ample warning that they may stumble across hunting pictures.  

As for being able to read, I am very literate and I don't believe I am the only one who interpreted your post as something other than a "gentle suggestion" that there be a disclaimer.  

What I am really pissed about is someone telling me how I should *feel* about anything, let alone something I feel as strongly about as hunting.
View Quote

This is a bunch of semantic BS... it was never insinutated that you had to love hunting.  It was suggested that you shouldn't HATE hunting.  If you chose to hate hunting... so be it.  But don't expect to gain widespread support for your soapbox soliloquies on a freakin' gun board!!!

Here's my own disclaimer:  I had absolutely no control over my husband.  He gets a little protective. :-)
View Quote

Well here's MY disclaimer: I don't pull any punches.  Your husband really showed his ass with his troll insult.  You seem to think it's cute because he's being "protective."  I've seen both of y'all around the board and have exchanged pleasantries with y'all on occasion.  Unfortunately, all the wonderful interactions in the world don't amount to a hill of beans when you see such a fine display of contemptuous rudeness.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Geez the guy just posted a pic of a deer his wife shot. I have been amazed by the people that find it their duty to post negative comments about posts they don't like. Why do you even open the post? It seems pc has even crept into gun owners.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice pictures (esp Gloftoe, love the drop tine!)

As far as anti-hunters, well, get over it, you are just as bad as anti-gunners.

Venison tastes a whole lot better than beef, and is better for you.

If you have never experienced hunting, the adrenaline, the primitive feelings that go with it, then .... you should.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Lordamercy, what has happened here?  Insults flying, unwarranted attacks, even someone stooping so low as to trash biggun's wife's looks?

So much for the hope that the women's forum would show some class, intelligence and restraint.  This whole post has turned into something you'd expect to see on the General Discussion board.  I guess we women really have achieved equality, in the negatives as well as the positives.

People, this was a simple thing.  Biggun saw the new Women's Forum and wanted to contribute something (which VERY few others have done).  He accepts hunting deer as a normal thing to do, and put up his post showing pride in his wife's abilities, further hoping to appeal to other women on this board who hunt.  It's that simple.  

Somebody got somewhat offended by the dead deer and said so, which she's entitled to do whether anyone agrees with her or not.  Once this conflict was established, people are bound to come out defending both sides, but is it so hard to do that NICELY?

As for whether or not hunting is a suitable topic here, again it's simple:  This forum is titled Women Shooters, and that can logically include many different subtopics, such as handgun shooting, shotgun shooting, machine gun shooting, paintball shooting, b-b gun shooting, airgun shooting, or, yes HUNTING shooting!

If not, I guess it should be titled Women Shooters (Except Hunters).

As I said before, I don't care for hunting one bit.  But I'm sure not going to be critical of biggun's perfectly acceptable post here.  It was on topic, polite, upbeat and supportive of this fledgling forum which, without participation, will flounder into obscurity.    
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#33]
To biggun's wife, if you see this stuff, please don't be hurt by the stupid, tasteless, cruel and completely unfair trashing you got from gus, Huskies' wife.

Some infantile male posters on this board can't seem to insult a woman creatively or intelligently, so they slam her personal appearance, regardless of whether or not they've ever seen her.  When they can't think of anything smart or clever to say, they just call you fat, ugly, or maybe a fat, ugly bitch.

You probably know this already, but I still felt it necessary to support you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You seem to think it's cute because he's being "protective."
View Quote

No, I think you need to go back and read it again.  I didn't say that.  Do not put words in my mouth that I didn't say, which is what you've done from the start.  How I feel about the comment is between him and I and I don't feel it's appropriate to discuss anything that is between us in public.  That should be apparent in his "disclaimer"
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you weren't offended, then why the fuss?  Why even bring it up?  
View Quote

Go back and READ.  Your question is already answered.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is a bunch of semantic BS... it was never insinutated that you had to love hunting.  It was suggested that you shouldn't HATE hunting.  If you chose to hate hunting... so be it.  But don't expect to gain widespread support for your soapbox soliloquies on a freakin' gun board!!!
View Quote

Yes, it was insinuated, if not said in so many words.  So it's ok for you to put words in my mouth, but everyone else has to be taken absolutely literally.  Whatever.

I was never on any soapbox, and I wasn't asking for support.  Again, you're putting words in my mouth, that, in this case, I've not even hinted at.  I have not given any reasons why people should or should not hunt, I've never told anyone how they should or should not feel about it.  That's up to them.  I don't preach.  

Geez, even my upset post was pretty nice compared to most so-called flames I've seen.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Killer...LOL!  If you really knew me you'd know just how truly hilarious that is.
View Quote

That was sarcasm.  
View Quote

Yes, I got that.  It's still funny.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I really don't know why I even bothered to anwser you.
View Quote

You answered because now it's your wife being belittled and insulted.  Feels more than rotten, doesn't it?  

I found your troll comment equally as offensive as you found my husband's.

(edited 'cause I left out part of what I wanted to say)

Huskies4all

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice bucks,  better that I've done the last two years.  They grow nice in Kentucky.

This is a General Discussion Board.  We talk about everything from who's the greatest guitar players to what's your favorite beer.  

I see no reason not to talk about or post pics about hunting.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I wonder if Huskies is tired after all the back peddling for her obviously tactless        husband.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top