Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2001 2:10:02 PM EDT
I've decided it would be wise for me to carry a handgun in my workplace, and I need some opinions.

I'll be carrying 380 or smaller, semi-auto.  My present carry gun is a Colt Government Pocketlite 380, single action only.  I bought it because it weighs less than a pound with the magazine full.  But I have to carry either with a round in the chamber and the safety on, which seems pretty dangerous to me, or with no round in the chamber, which my husband says is practically a waste of time.

I could carry a double/single action gun (I have several guns available to me), loaded with a round in the chamber, safety on, ready to fire double action or single if I pull the hammer back.  

I've got my husband's opinions on this, but I need more input.  What is the safest way to carry, yet still have quick readiness to fire if needed, which hopefully it will never be?  What do you all do?  Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#1]
It would depend on if you want to carry on person or in a pack or purse.
And what you wear to work.

If you wear a dress to work you could strap it to you leg and carry one in the chamber, in a purse I would not put one in the chamber. There are so many different ways to carry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry.  It goes in my handbag, which is one of those specially designed for carry.

I wear scrubs to work and it's not remotely practical for the gun to be on me.

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry either a .380 Bersa or a Keltec p32, both in a purse designed to carry a gun.  I had occasion today to want the gun actually on my person, so I stuck the P32 in my Jeans pocket.  Looked just like a wallet.

I did try it in the pocket of my coverup (goes over scrubs) but it pulled it down too far.  I wonder if there is a way to wear a harness of some sort to carry on your person under scrubs?

Huskies4all
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a waist strap out there that goes under any shirt. When I find the link I will post it here. I personally carry a Glock 26 and I carry it in the truck. Sometimes I can carry in my purse.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Although it is not the best place to carry, I, too, have a concealed carry purse.
I could shoot through the other side of it, if need be, as the opening is a blow-through velcro slot to get my hand into.
One could just jam it against the attacker, and haul on the trigger.
This works well in warm weather, as it is hard to conceal the fat little Glock under light clothes.
For winter, I have a leather shoulder rig.
This would prevent some creep from grabbing my purse and getting both it *and* my gun, but this could be hard to draw from in my car, or with my coat zipped up.

I carry a subcompact Glock G-29 10mm, so this is a pretty fat little gun...but loaded to .41 Mag specs with Norma brass, it should give enough penetration to even take out baddies with body armor.
The main thing is, I *always* carry, even if only on a quick trip to 7-11. I have for 25 years, so far, so good.....the bad guys seem to sense that this is not an easy hit, and I have never yet had to draw on anyone, which, after all, is the whole point of the exercise, not to clear the streets of criminals, but to make sure that in any confrontation with evil, *I* win.
No matter what you carry, or where you carry it........just always be sure to bring it along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top