Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 9:20:11 PM EDT
Ladies, this is my first post in the Women's Forum, so I don't mean to offend.  As you can imagine, I want to avoid the GD shenanigans my question below would raise, so I'm asking it here.

I have a technical question regarding birth control pills.  Are there some formulations and/or manufacturers of the pills which are known to result in a reduced female sex drive more than others?  That's all I wanted to know.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck. May you find the answer you are seeking. Sorry cannot answer it for you. Although interested in what is said.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
How old is  your intended?  Some women lose desire in there 40''s and  50's.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, there are several different types known to absolutely tank sex drive.

The problem with birth control is that it messes with a woman's natural hormonal cycle. That can screw up all sorts of things and can cause weight gain, migraines, death of libido, personality changes, massive mood swings, clinical depression, and even things like fatal blood clots and strokes. Weight gain, moodiness, and loss of libido tend to be the more common ones. The joke is that birth control pills render themselves unnecessary.

If a woman has had a child, an IUD is one of the better choices for birth control. It causes fewer side effects than a lot of the pills, injections, and implants. They're even starting to have them available for women who have not had children, although insertion is usually really painful for a couple days.

ETA: and the way each woman reacts to a particular brand or formulation can be different from another woman. Each hormonal cycle is unique, and the way each formulation interacts with that cycle will also be unique. Some pills work great for one woman and not another, and a change in the formulation (say, name brand vs generic, or a manufacturer altering the preparation) can throw things all out of whack.

It's voodoo science, and most men do not understand exactly how tricky it is or how devastating the side effects can be. At least, not until they encounter the fall out for themselves.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife was on non-hormonal IUD for several years after last kid born.  Great libido for those 5 years.  Sex 3+ times a week, equally initiated.

Wife had IUD taken out and went on some version of the Pill 2.5 years ago.  Immediately plummeted to ZERO sex drive.  Sex has gone from 3-4 times a week to 2-3 times a year.  And no, I haven't gotten fat or out of shape or otherwise unattractive.

Thankfully, she has an appointment to talk to a girly doc about getting off the pill and back onto a no-hormone IUD in hopes of fixing this.  She is committed to this.  Plus, I'm getting a vasectomy to show my commitment.  

Wish us luck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear about the drought. I'm glad she's committed to righting the issue, and that you've been understanding thus far.

For me, the pills caused debilitating migraines 3-4 times a week. Finally, one doc asked why I was doing that to myself. I had been suffering for years, and not a single doc happened to mention that it was likely the pills causing the problem. Discontinued them, and within a few months, they disappeared. I vowed I would never, ever use that poison again, and I haven't.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to hear about the drought. I'm glad she's committed to righting the issue, and that you've been understanding thus far.

For me, the pills caused debilitating migraines 3-4 times a week. Finally, one doc asked why I was doing that to myself. I had been suffering for years, and not a single doc happened to mention that it was likely the pills causing the problem. Discontinued them, and within a few months, they disappeared. I vowed I would never, ever use that poison again, and I haven't.
View Quote
glad you got the migraines fixed!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Like it's been said, it can effect different women differently. There was times where we both knew we had to work a little bit harder for me to be in the mood. But birth control has been a good thing for me. I've had very little side effects. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, wife went to the Girlie Doc today.  He was in shock at the version of The Pill she was on, said it was waaaay too much estrogen.  Said it explains her zero libido, weight gain, and certain other problems.  He's putting her on an IUD next week.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, wife went to the Girlie Doc today.  He was in shock at the version of The Pill she was on, said it was waaaay too much estrogen.  Said it explains her zero libido, weight gain, and certain other problems.  He's putting her on an IUD next week.
View Quote
Hope that gets her straightened out. I know it took a few months for my migraines to subside, so don't be surprised if it's not an instant turn around.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have to have a low dose. Or I stay sick. It's like having morning sickness and not being pregnant. 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wife was on non-hormonal IUD for several years after last kid born.  Great libido for those 5 years.  Sex 3+ times a week, equally initiated.

Wife had IUD taken out and went on some version of the Pill 2.5 years ago.  Immediately plummeted to ZERO sex drive.  Sex has gone from 3-4 times a week to 2-3 times a year.  And no, I haven't gotten fat or out of shape or otherwise unattractive.

Thankfully, she has an appointment to talk to a girly doc about getting off the pill and back onto a no-hormone IUD in hopes of fixing this.  She is committed to this.  Plus, I'm getting a vasectomy to show my commitment.  

Wish us luck.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Then why is she looking for new birth control if you're getting fixed? Makes no sense
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top