Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2016 2:13:54 PM EDT
I just got back into shooting earlier this year and was hoping to find a nice watering hole where we women can come together and talk about the sport and their experiences with it.  Instead I'm finding that the majority of the posts are being made by men asking for fem advice.  Is there a FB place or something where the ladies are meeting to chat?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd look in the technical forums for firearm and shooting discussions.

Though you may be disappointed by the fact that men can post there too.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd look in the technical forums for firearm and shooting discussions.  
View Quote

This
You are not going to get much out of GD except some laughs and anger
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
GD is kinda like a high school boys' locker room.

The team and technical fora are a less silly and childish.

Have you joined your local Well Armed Woman chapter?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Not too much activity in this area unfortunately it picks up from time to time but I pretty much quit in here cause of how dead it is. I just have random conversations and discussions in random sections majority of the time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Moral to the story, it would be good if the women's shooting forum had a larger active population of women shooters.

The lack of content from serious female shooters isn't the fault of the largest firearms site on the internet. It's the lack of female participation here in respect to shooting sports.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The team and technical fora are a less silly and childish.
Have you joined your local Well Armed Woman chapter?
View Quote

Thanks for the info and for the link to TWAW--I had not heard of that organization. Just joined my local chapter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just got back into shooting earlier this year and was hoping to find a nice watering hole where we women can come together and talk about the sport and their experiences with it.  Instead I'm finding that the majority of the posts are being made by men asking for fem advice.  Is there a FB place or something where the ladies are meeting to chat?  Thanks
View Quote

Stick to the female shooters forum under general.

There are plenty of kickass and knowledgeable women on this site.

Stay out of GD
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Stay out of GD

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay out of GD

That's where this thread is posted.....and the absence of women shooters chiming in only confirms the OP's point frankly.

That said, if the OP has the ability to discuss shooting with both genders, she's missing out on a wealth of information here if "all female" is a requirement of hers.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's where this thread is posted.....and the absence of women shooters chiming in only confirms the OP's point frankly.

That said, if the OP has the ability to discuss shooting with both genders, she's missing out on a wealth of information here if "all female" is a requirement of hers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay out of GD

Ooops
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
montigre, what area are you in in Maryland? I was born and raised around the Annapolis area but now vary happily relocated.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Montigre, there's a lot of discussion on TWAW's FB page.

I post in the Team Forum a lot (need to be a paying member), and in the technical areas as needed. I've learned to roll with the punches in GD and just ignore the leg humpers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay out of GD

No, no,, no, that is not a requirement of mine--I enjoy speaking of the technical issues with the guys and have already chatted with several of the guys on this and other sites and gained quite a lot of knowledge from them.  I just found the women's sub forum and was surprised at the dearth of female activity here and thought I'd ask if the fems moved to another spot. Sometimes it is just good to discuss issues from a common ground, if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
montigre, what area are you in in Maryland? I was born and raised around the Annapolis area but now vary happily relocated.
View Quote

I'm in Central Maryland, very near BWI.  I'm a member of 12th PCT, but they only allow pistols and rimfire rifles, so I also joined Mead rifle club, but they are now being limited in range use by the Dept of the Interior....  Need to find a place where I can shoot my rifles where it won't take me hours just to get there... I have a bevy of milsurp rifles, an AR, and a long-range rifle that are begging for some usage, but it has been a very long time since I've shot and I am quite rusty.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No, no,, no, that is not a requirement of mine--I enjoy speaking of the technical issues with the guys and have already chatted with several of the guys on this and other sites and gained quite a lot of knowledge from them.  I just found the women's sub forum and was surprised at the dearth of female activity here and thought I'd ask if the fems moved to another spot. Sometimes it is just good to discuss issues from a common ground, if you know what I mean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay out of GD

Totally understand.....and I'm with you.

I'm a huge proponent of women taking an interest and being active in shooting.

My wife is a beast with any semiauto she gets her hands on and I love that she's beyond proficient. Not a pro, but definitely a natural. I'd probably say the same about myself.

So hopefully somehow we'll see a surge and get a lot more activity out of either our current or future female shooters here.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm in Central Maryland, very near BWI.  I'm a member of 12th PCT, but they only allow pistols and rimfire rifles, so I also joined Mead rifle club, but they are now being limited in range use by the Dept of the Interior....  Need to find a place where I can shoot my rifles where it won't take me hours just to get there... I have a bevy of milsurp rifles, an AR, and a long-range rifle that are begging for some usage, but it has been a very long time since I've shot and I am quite rusty.
View Quote

Vary cool, I have not been back to Maryland since I was a teenager so I can't help with where to shoot, I was just curious when I saw Maryland.

On the original subject, I need to be more active in this section but the lack of any activity in here keeps me from checking in here regularly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:21:24 AM EDT
[#16]
It's now 2017.  Honestly I sort of drifted away from here because of the same thing.  There were a few women who seemed to inhabit this section fairly often but, as mentioned, the majority of posts were from guys seeking advice from women for one thing or another.  At first I didn't mind it but eventually it was all that was happening and I just started spending most of my ARFtime in my Hometown forum area instead.  Now it's been probably close to a year since I've checked in here and doesn't seem to have changed.  I know there are a whole lot of ladies on ARFcom but doesn't look like the women's section is where they want to be or maybe they just don't know it's here.  Too bad, I thought it was great when I first found out there was a women's area on ARFcom but, for one reason or another, it's a cricketfest in here.  

Anywho, hope all is well with all ya'll Annie Oakley's!!   While away I've acquired a Ruger 10/22 Takedown (won in a Ruger sweepstakes) and a Ruger 5.5" stainless Blackhawk Bisley Convertible .45Colt/.45acp.  This may be hard to believe but neither of them are pink lol.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Even though I said I did not check in here much I actually do now. I wish I knew how to liven up this place a bit but without anyone coming in frequently it's going to stay dead in here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Equal rights and all that, until the feelz are bruised.  

If their are truly women on the intarwebz, OP may be the first.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm around. I just post more in other sections. 

And sometimess we do a check in thread. 
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's now 2017.  Honestly I sort of drifted away from here because of the same thing.  There were a few women who seemed to inhabit this section fairly often but, as mentioned, the majority of posts were from guys seeking advice from women for one thing or another.  At first I didn't mind it but eventually it was all that was happening and I just started spending most of my ARFtime in my Hometown forum area instead.  Now it's been probably close to a year since I've checked in here and doesn't seem to have changed.  I know there are a whole lot of ladies on ARFcom but doesn't look like the women's section is where they want to be or maybe they just don't know it's here.  Too bad, I thought it was great when I first found out there was a women's area on ARFcom but, for one reason or another, it's a cricketfest in here.  

Anywho, hope all is well with all ya'll Annie Oakley's!!   While away I've acquired a Ruger 10/22 Takedown (won in a Ruger sweepstakes) and a Ruger 5.5" stainless Blackhawk Bisley Convertible .45Colt/.45acp.  This may be hard to believe but neither of them are pink lol.
View Quote
Pretty much this.  Except for the Ruger acquisitions.  I have jealousy about the takedown, I keep eyeballing those, how are you liking it?

Otherwise, when I have time for here, I land in HTF.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I admit that it's nice to have a retreat from a lot of the inanity of the rest of the site, but for most firearms-related questions and commentary, the technical forums can provide the answers.

One of the lovely things about firearms and shooting is that none of it is gender exclusive.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, sorry you're disillusioned. Take the attitude that there open-minded men who are seeking advice, and run with that. I've done so many times and have welcomed the advice I get here.

Go to corneredcat.com. It's a site for women, by a woman. You may find the community you seek there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#23]
and I guess she's gone....
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I know this post is old but....

Just a quick reply to a lot of the comments about lack of activity in this forum. I see it and agree with everyone that's it's not the place it should be. But unfortunately complaining about it doesn't help. If your seeing a lack of content your interested in you should start a topic. I have been trying to get this place back on the map off and on for a few years by posting threads about a wide variety of subjects. The usual posters reply but after that it stalls out. So I stopped coming here. I think it's been almost 2 years without me posting much and its sad to see so few new threads. But complaining isn't going to change that.

I know the constant threads from male posters asking advice for their wife gets monotonous but I enjoy knowing they thought highly enough of our opinions to ask. Bring it guys, ask away.

This forum has an unfortunate position of being stuck between a tech forum and general forum. When Barb became mod she tried to push it more towards tech and I think some didn't feel like it was a good place to come to just to talk. I love that Barb introduced a lot of training and knowledge based posts to this place. But I do miss the posts about families, kids, food and life in general. With arf expanding its sub forums to include a lot of those specific topics it became easier to go straight to those sources instead of here.  

Arf may be the biggest gun site but what you have to wade through to get here usually scares females off or becomes too much work to find a subforum that has so little activity. You have to be honest that there is a lack of female shooters who can answer questions on training or the technical aspect of firearms  and who wants to hear the same girls drone on and on.

To summarize, if you don't like the lack of topics then chime in. Trust me, it's harder than you think to come up with fresh new topics. With both of my kids in school now I hope to contribute more all over the site including here.

MWSGA (Make Women Shooters Great Again)
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Try your hometown forum.  If you are looking for women shooters, see if there is a chapter of The Well Armed Woman (TWAW) in your area.  They are a good group of ladies serious about shooting and are also into black rifles.  

I am in AZ if you are nearby, IM me.  

Lorie
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I admit that it's nice to have a retreat from a lot of the inanity of the rest of the site, but for most firearms-related questions and commentary, the technical forums can provide the answers.

One of the lovely things about firearms and shooting is that none of it is gender exclusive.
View Quote
I searched out this part of the forum.  I was a bit let down to see the number of guys asking information for females.  This was especially true with a thread about is sexting cheating and my wife wants a divorce but I don't.  I figured it was more about shooting when I saw women shooters but it seems to just be women general discussion.  I think I will stick to the other areas of the forum that try to talk more about ar's.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  Ooops
View Quote
For a brief moment I thought they'd let you back in.  Hope all is well, bud.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Are you able to come to PA to use ranges here?

We just moved to Delta, PA and are basically right on the MD border. It's a hassle because of the permit situation in MD. We end up driving 30 min to the grocery store in PA just to avoid having to go to MD unarmed, two minutes away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top