Posted: 9/15/2016 10:09:00 PM EDT
cross posting this here...

the facts..
married 13 years 2 8yo kids

house, still owe 50% on

my car is in my name

her car is in both of our names

she works full time, always has

i do as well, but lost my job in april, and im working short contrat stuff and dont know when that will change

my thoughts..

i dont feel divorce is a option, because i think its bad for the kids

i also dont think the our actions are good for the kids either "we asked my daughter if she thinks we love each other, she said no and we argue a lot".

she thinks if we get a divorce she would live in the house and i would pay..

i told her it would have to be sold, since its 1/2 mine, and i would need the $ to get a new place, she thinks otherwise.

its been brought up a few times in the past, and i said no....we need to work on it..

normaly what happens is we would try and work on things, be nicer and more thoughtful to each other... this might go on for a month, or 2 then slowly things would stop

either from forgetfulness, or something might be going on that's interfering

example.. she goes to sleep at 9, i dont go to sleep till midnight or later

thats my only "free" time to watch TV, do things i need to work on or just "me" time..

so she complains that i dont go up to bed...

our personalities...

i dont talk much.. never have, never will

i have a deep voice and im told i talk loud "so im told anytime im talking loud to the kids, "im yelling"...

i get hyper focused on things that interest me

i suck at showing emotion..

im a realest...

im laid back

i hate to argue or yell, but ill respond when she ramps it up..

if i argue about something, im fine the next day.. she stews on the shit for years

she is a clean freak and says she has anxiety if the house isnt picked up..

because of this, i get chewed out if she cleans and i do anything to change that.. like leve my mail to build up on the counter... or a dish in the sink

yet with in 3 days our bathroom counter will go from clean to 80% covered with her shit

she likes to escalate things, she cant stop, if you tell her "im done talking about this, i have nothing more to say and dont want to argue" i get.... "who are you to decide when we are done?"/.....

if the kids are acting up, and 1 of us is getting to heated with them we were told to "hand" it off to the other parent to handle so we didnt loses out tempers..

thats fine, but most of the time when i try that, she will say in front of them "no, calm down and you handle it.." and only escalates the issue...

we have done counseling in the past, 2 different places. shes goes in thinking everything is me, the counselors tell here no, im not the root of all problems..

the problem is she cant drop the past, and will bring it up when ever she gets angry, insecure or paranoid...

say they tell us to work of 4 things, and i do 3, then she says im doing nothing..

or, she will do nothing, saying she wants to see it from me 1st.... and after so long of me seeing nothing in return from her, i give up.

"kids in another room when this happens"

so... this got brought up tonight because this happened...

i come home from work, she says the stuff in the freezer in soft... find out our fridge took a shit "i have no $$$ to buy a new"

so i start to move shit to a freezer in the garage..

her moms little shit dog who we watch when shes at work likes to attack my dog if it gets anywhere near her and knocks my dog down.. my dog is 18+, 1/2 blind and has trouble walking.. this pisses me the fuck off

so... as im heading to the freezer her shit dog attacks my dog again.. im not sticking my hand near the little fuck to get bit, so i put my foot between the 2 and give her a good shove and say " get the F away"..

the wife says why did i kick her.. i say i didnt, if i hand kicked here she would have yelped and bounced off the wall "its a shih tzu"
i get called a liar and then she says "im going to tell my mom you did that"

so i respond in kind with some "choice" words.... when i walk back in from the garage, she tosses shit from the freezer at me as i open the door... so i respond with a whole bunch of colorful words

i would like for things to be batter and stay that way.... not keep slipping back to old habits...

ideas? suggestions? resources?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the divorce.  Sounds like irreconcilable differences.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

the facts..married 13 years 2 8yo kids
house, still owe 50% on
my car is in my name
i do as well, but lost my job in april, and im working short contrat stuff and dont know when that will change

my thoughts..
i also dont think the our actions are good for the kids either "we asked my daughter if she thinks we love each other, she said no and we argue a lot".

i told her it would have to be sold, since its 1/2 mine, and i would need the $ to get a new place, she thinks otherwise.

its been brought up a few times in the past, and i said no....we need to work on it..
normaly what happens is we would try and work on things, be nicer and more thoughtful to each other... this might go on for a month, or 2 then slowly things would stop
thats my only "free" time to watch TV, do things i need to work on or just "me" time..

our personalities...
i have a deep voice and im told i talk loud "so im told anytime im talking loud to the kids, "im yelling"...
im a realest...
im laid back
if i argue about something, im fine the next day.. she stews on the shit for years

because of this, i get chewed out if she cleans and i do anything to change that.. like leve my mail to build up on the counter... or a dish in the sink
yet with in 3 days our bathroom counter will go from clean to 80% covered with her shit
she likes to escalate things, she cant stop, if you tell her "im done talking about this, i have nothing more to say and dont want to argue" i get.... "who are you to decide when we are done?"/.....
if the kids are acting up, and 1 of us is getting to heated with them we were told to "hand" it off to the other parent to handle so we didnt loses out tempers..
thats fine, but most of the time when i try that, she will say in front of them "no, calm down and you handle it.." and only escalates the issue...

we have done counseling in the past, 2 different places. shes goes in thinking everything is me, the counselors tell here no, im not the root of all problems..

the problem is she cant drop the past, and will bring it up when ever she gets angry, insecure or paranoid...
say they tell us to work of 4 things, and i do 3, then she says im doing nothing..
or, she will do nothing, saying she wants to see it from me 1st.... and after so long of me seeing nothing in return from her, i give up.

i come home from work, she says the stuff in the freezer in soft... find out our fridge took a shit "i have no $$$ to buy a new"
her moms little shit dog who we watch when shes at work likes to attack my dog if it gets anywhere near her and knocks my dog down.. my dog is 18+, 1/2 blind and has trouble walking.. this pisses me the fuck off
so... as im heading to the freezer her shit dog attacks my dog again.. im not sticking my hand near the little fuck to get bit, so i put my foot between the 2 and give her a good shove and say " get the F away"..

the wife says why did i kick her.. i say i didnt, if i hand kicked here she would have yelped and bounced off the wall "its a shih tzu"
i get called a liar and then she says "im going to tell my mom you did that"

so i respond in kind with some "choice" words.... when i walk back in from the garage, she tosses shit from the freezer at me as i open the door... so i respond with a whole bunch of colorful words

i would like for things to be batter and stay that way.... not keep slipping back to old habits...

View Quote

I'd come to grips with it.

You can't force her to stay married to you.  if she wants a divorce, you are getting one.

Frankly, right now, if she is working and you aren't, its your best shot to maintain equal custody of the kids.   If the roles were reversed, you could kiss your kids goodbye.

Divorce is an ugly game.  I'm sorry for you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the divorce.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I think its over ..I got halfway through the post and started shaking my head
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I had something profound and helpful to say, but I only have this:   A lot of Women seem to have an On/Off switch when it comes to love and marriage.   Guys tend to be more tenacious and nostalgic in trying to hold onto what they had.

Women can be loving and loyal and tolerant, until one day, Flip the Switch, it's Done.  They've moved on.

It's always seemed counter-intuitive to me, the opposite of how things are "supposed" to be, nevertheless, it's a re-occurring theme.

I honestly think it's a genetic adaptation.  Women all throughout human history had to shift love and loyalty instantly, to the Next provider, after the current one ended up dead, defeated or missing.  

I hope I'm wrong in your case.     Good luck Brother.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
You wife sounds like my ex wife's twin. Seriously, we've been separated like two years now. Two daughters ten and twelve, I really tried to make it work. She didn't, any little inconvenience would set her off. I'm lonely, but happy to a certain extent. It's nice not being yelled at 24/7. Good luck, no sense sticking around when your not appreciated or wanted.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Eject !
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]

OP OhioLongRange
View Quote
I'm going to try to attack this one from a woman's perspective (I've been through one divorce, for which I filed, and from which I learned many lessons):

Let's put aside all the little stuff--arguing over house-cleaning, the dog incident and frozen food-chucking--I know these seem important when you add them together, and aren't helping your stress level, but in the grand scheme of a 13 year marriage, we can overlook these spaz moments.  

Here's part of your problem: "i dont feel divorce is a option, because i think its bad for the kids"

This is a reason to not get divorced.  This is not a reason to stay together.  The difference is minor, but it's there.  You are asking her to stay with you for the sake of someone else instead of reminding her of why you're worth keeping around.  We women have long memories (hence, the bringing up old shit), but sometimes we need to be reminded of why we fell in love in the first place.  Ideally, this would be a daily ritual on the part of both parties for the entirety of your marriage.  Try subtly changing the way you approach her from "Look at me fighting for us; you should be too," to "Here's why we are worth fighting for."

As for not having permanent employment, this happened to my ex-husband and it was extremely stressful for both of us.  Financially, I was supportive while he was out of work, but secretly, I resented him for it and every dirty sock on the floor while I was working full-time set me off.  Quite unfairly, I even accused him once of having no ambition, using me to support him, and other nastiness.  Not one of my finer moments.  Too late, the light bulb went off for me, well into our divorce when he told me that what he had needed during that period was emotional support, to be told that I didn't think less of him as a man for not providing the way he once had.  He said, "You didn't need to beat me up over it...you couldn't possibly be more ashamed of me than I am of myself."  Honestly, that had never occurred to me.  If you need emotional support, you might need to ask for it, because chances are, she's only thinking about herself right now.  A serious conversation about that, without the kids around, might help.

Having done it once, and barring infidelity, I'd never give up on another marriage.  I don't believe in "checking out" before the papers are signed.  If it's worth it to you, stick with it and show her why it should be worth it to her.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a good attorney.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 for what DesertGuns said.  If she's checked out emotionally, and it sounds like she has, that's difficult to come back from but it can be done.  Her advice to approach her differently is your best bet at this point.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to keep the marriage intact then it is on you to make it happen.

When I read this list:
im a realest...
im laid back

It comes across as this is the way it is and I am not going to change.

If you don't want to change then she wins and gets the divorce that she wants.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
If she wants a divorce, then it's over - you can't negotiate love, and if you're not loving each other, don't stay together. Don't compromise and give anything away, though.

As said above, the kids are a reason not to get divorced, but not a reason to stay together. You need a lawyer yesterday to ensure the split is fair...because it is headed there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish I had something profound and helpful to say, but I only have this:   A lot of Women seem to have an On/Off switch when it comes to love and marriage.   Guys tend to be more tenacious and nostalgic in trying to hold onto what they had.

Women can be loving and loyal and tolerant, until one day, Flip the Switch, it's Done.  They've moved on.

It's always seemed counter-intuitive to me, the opposite of how things are "supposed" to be, nevertheless, it's a re-occurring theme.

I honestly think it's a genetic adaptation.  Women all throughout human history had to shift love and loyalty instantly, to the Next provider, after the current one ended up dead, defeated or missing.  

View Quote

This isnt GD. Are the generalizations something that belong in here? Really?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]
this sounds like normal marriage to me . my wife an i bicker all the time. im a slob, shes a neat freak. i need to work on not being a slob and she need to calm down on being so anal about everything. will it ever come though and work out perfectly? no but  i doubt it would be any different with anyone else.  marriage is about compromise, sometimes one needs to bend a litte first to get the other to follow

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#15]
What does your wife say your problem is, or why does she want a divorce?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If you want to keep the marriage intact then it is on you to make it happen.

When I read this list:

im a realest...

im laid back

It comes across as this is the way it is and I am not going to change.

If you don't want to change then she wins and gets the divorce that she wants.

View Quote

I don't necessarily agree.  I assume the OP hasn't changed much since he and his wife married.  She married him knowing what he was like.  It's unfair for her to need him to change for her to continue loving him.  

My advice to the OP is to learn your wife's love languages.  How does she show (or how did she show) she loved you in the past?  Make an effort to emulate this from time to time.  Be honest with her.  I have yet met a man that can't be coached.  Tell her to teach you what she needs from you.

It is her responsibility to be happy, as is it  yours.  I find the conversation with your daughter (I'm assuming you have a blended family?) very disturbing.  You need to learn boundaries with your children.  Do not enmesh your needs with that of an 8 year old child.  Your child needs you to have your act together.  Do not leave it to her the responsibility of deciding to keep the family intact.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#17]
TLDR

Eject. Once a woman makes up her mind, it's either divorce or adultery.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I really can't add much to this discussion beyond what others have told you.  I will tell you though that having kids certainly complicates things.  Not that you didn't know that.  However, you have to wonder what kind of example your wife and you are setting for your kids.  If they think you "aren't in love" and "argue a lot", are you showing them that this is what a normal relationship is like?  How are you setting them up for the rest of their lives?  Are you setting them up for failure and heartache of their own later in life or are you setting them up to know exactly what a healthy relationship should be?  Sometimes, as backwards as it may seem, a divorce is a good thing for the kids if all they are witnessing is bad blood and drama between spouses.  That doesn't mean that there won't be pitfalls for their physical and mental well-being in the future, but that is also why it is extremely important to have a good lawyer who understands your desire to put those kids' well-being first and that it isn't just all about the money or the stuff.  Many divorce attorneys get caught up in the money and stuff (with good reason), but people matter so much more.  

I'll close by saying this... It is possible to love someone and not be in love with them.  Once gone, a spark can be a difficult thing to get back.  It usually requires much more effort and self-awareness than either spouse possess.  And I will also tell you that the vast majority of divorces are followed by regret.  Regret for getting the divorce in the first place.  Best of luck, and don't let the bastards get you down.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the facts..
married 13 years 2 8yo kids
house, still owe 50% on
my car is in my name

my thoughts..

our personalities...
im a realest...
im laid back

i come home from work, she says the stuff in the freezer in soft... find out our fridge took a shit "i have no $$ to buy a new"

the wife says why did i kick her.. i say i didnt, if i hand kicked here she would have yelped and bounced off the wall "its a shih tzu"i get called a liar and then she says "im going to tell my mom you did that"

View Quote
I've got news for her. YOU get 1/2 the house..and 1/2 the bills...etc. Some womwn think they have the upper hand in a divorce and it's not necessarily true.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate to say this, but you ARE getting divorced.

Make it easy or make it hard, it is still going to happen.

Might as well make it easy and be done with her.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
G
eTt a good attorney.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#22]
It's over. Focus on making it as easy for the kids as you can....but of course it takes two actual adults to do that during a divorce sooooo.......good luck.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get the divorce.  Sounds like irreconcilable differences.
View Quote
This

Been there, done that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]
When she comes back from the lawyers with how much it will cost her, be ready for another round of counseling. You can collect the child support.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#25]
EJECT!
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Get marriage counseling. They dig deep into the underlying causes of the problem. At least you'll know why in the end.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Sir, time to part ways.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#28]
You don't want to change. She doesn't want to change.
Marriage is a team effort and either one of you are playing for the same team.
Your kids are going to grow up thinking "this is how a marriage works" and they are going to get in the same situation you are in.

All of this are super stupid and incredibly small easy things to fix but neither of you really want to do it.

Ask yourself why you don't want a divorce.  If the answer isn't "because I love my wife, she's my best friend, my confidante, my peace" then you need a divorce.

Figure out want you really want OP.  If you actually want to stay married for reasons outside the financial ones then you are going to have to change and show her why.  Go to bed when she does, don't be dirty, clean up around the house, apologize, do small things for her.  If she doesn't change or start helping the relationship then it's time to go OP.

I'd move heaven and earth for my wife. Nothing or no one is more important than her to me. I hyper focus on thing myself, I try to include her on it if she's interested. If she's not I put it down for a while and focus on her. When I look at her she knows she's wanted.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#29]
sorry OP, but by the sounds of it, get the divorce  lawyer up and make sure the house gets sold and not u pay for it
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
This post is the most accurate, true, and profound thing I have read all year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Get the divorce and focus on being the best dad you can be. You and your needs need to take a back seat, and focus 100% of your time and energy doing everything for your kids. Fight like hell in court for custody. Your kids will thank you. You have 10-12 years to shape their lives and make them good people.

I went through this 7 years ago. I did not fight like hell for full custody, and rolled over in court. I regret it every damn day. Fight like hell for those kids man.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#32]
You're getting a divorce whether you want it or not. My childhood would've been less fucked up if my parents had just gotten divorced.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Get a good attorney.
View Quote
This in spades.   you need to protect your rights with your Children, because the Courts automatically will throw you under the bus as "Bad Dad"...

Your wife my seem distant and angry now, but when a divorce gets going, there is no evil on the planet like a woman wanting "What she feels she is owed..."

GET A GOOD LAWYER & Be friendly, but prepare for War as the back up plan buddy is the best advice I can give you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Damn bro, with the exception of the counseling and the post-"kids in another room" bit, it sounds like my marriage and every marriage I've ever known my friends to have.

Before reading that last little bit my only thought was, "9-12pm is sexytime for the wife and OP is oblivious."

FWIW I think you are right about keeping it together for the kids, but throwing stuff at each other is a big problem. Adults don't do that shit. If you can't act as positive role models together then you need to be apart.

Based solely on what  you wrote, your wife has issues. Maybe she needs meds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Start hiding cash, DO NOT JUST LET HER " HAVE" YOUR KIDS, if she works you might even get support- I'm going thru the same thing didn't want it-she did fight fight fight for your kids and stuff lawyer up ASAP even if you don't file have one ready to give you advice for your specific state- cash out anything you can HIDE YOUR GUNS- be ready FIGHT unless you want 2 be a part time Dad---FYI Like it or not she has someone else or has her eyes on a BIgger better deal, you'll be better off to get a LAWYER NOW.

I've got 50/50 of my kid right now but it's a fight to keep it-your starting behind because your a man GO LAWYER TODAY!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd lawyer up and plan for divorce.

In the meantime it might be interesting to use a little dread on her. Go to the gym or buy some weights and start lifting. Hang out with your bros once a week. Don't get mad and yell at her, just smirk at her and walk away. Treat her like an annoying little sister and see what happens. It couldn't possibly be any worse than what you've got going now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like you could make it work to me. No one has cheated on the other and the fights sound minor. I'd start by giving up your free time and going to bed with her. I'd also stop fighting over cleaning the house. I fight with my wife over the same thing it never leads to anything good. Easier just to cleanup than go around angry thinking the other person didn't do enough. If you try to keep score about who does more work it's always going to lead to fights. At least it does for me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sounds like you could make it work to me. No one has cheated on the other and the fights sound minor. I'd start by giving up your free time and going to bed with her. I'd also stop fighting over cleaning the house. I fight with my wife over the same thing it never leads to anything good. Easier just to cleanup than go around angry thinking the other person didn't do enough. If you try to keep score about who does more work it's always going to lead to fights. At least it does for me.
View Quote
As someone who is very similar to OP in temperament (including the voice), and was married to someone similar to his wife, not gonna work. Or at least it didn't for me.

Marriage is a 2 way street. Yes, he could go to bed earlier - but she could go later. He could pick up his dropped socks - or she could stop fussing.

The problem with one partner changing to meet the other partners needs is that, if it isn't mutual, the idea that it's all one person's fault gets reinforced. "Ah, he finally sees that he is wrong. Now is the time to get him to see the rest of the places he's wrong."

OP, you need to do a few things, regardless of whether you decide to get a divorce:

1) Gather financial records and go over them carefully. You need to know your exact financial position, and where she's been squirrelling away money. (Apologies if I missed this before.)

2) talk to a divorce lawyer and learn your legal position. Don't get a "free consultation) - pay for an hour or 2.

Finally, you and your wife are the primary model for relationships for your kids. You and your wife are teaching them that when 2 people love each other, they get married and then hate each other, and that's how things are *supposed* to be. I stuck it out "for the kids" for a long time, and I know that damaged their ideas about what relationships should be. 
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorry to say, but it takes two to tango.  If she wants a divorce, she will get a divorce one way or another.

The first thing is to get a lawyer.  Second thing is to get all your guns in the custody of a friend or family member.

What happens to property and custody depends very much on the state.  In my state, it really doesn't matter whose name is on items.  The court cannot change title, but it can make monetary awards to the other spouse.  My state is also favors joint physical custody, and that is what you get unless there are extraordinary circumstances warranting sole physical.

Do not move out unless you have spoken with an attorney, and he approves of your plan.  You may be in for combat.  I refused to move out of "our" house, and the ex filed a half dozen or more DV and criminal charges against me.  I was living in the house, and I had to be aware of where she was.  I was hunted in my own house.  She was looking for a chance to stage a fall, or some incident, where she could call the cops.  When that didn't happen, she called the cops anyway.  It was 10s of thousands to fight just those, and the cost of the divorce was change less than 200k. The case went to the Court of Special Appeals.  The decision, including the dissent, was 125 pages long.  But, I got use and possession of the family home and vehicles, kept most of my assets and got sole legal and physical custody of my two sons.  She even paid me child support, and very regularly I might add.  At the end of three years, I purchased her half of the house.

We had everything in the case, murder of an expert witness, disbarment, rape allegations and bankruptcy.  It was quite a ride.
These are discussions you should be having with your lawyer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#40]
She already has a lawyer or has atleast consulted with one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#41]
OP,

if you want the marriage to work, then work for it.

there are worse things than getting to bed early and picking up after yourself.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Eject !
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sorry to say, but it takes two to tango.  If she wants a divorce, she will get a divorce one way or another.

The first thing is to get a lawyer.  Second thing is to get all your guns in the custody of a friend or family member.

What happens to property and custody depends very much on the state.  In my state, it really doesn't matter whose name is on items.  The court cannot change title, but it can make monetary awards to the other spouse.  My state is also favors joint physical custody, and that is what you get unless there are extraordinary circumstances warranting sole physical.

Do not move out unless you have spoken with an attorney, and he approves of your plan.  You may be in for combat.  I refused to move out of "our" house, and the ex filed a half dozen or more DV and criminal charges against me.  I was living in the house, and I had to be aware of where she was.  I was hunted in my own house.  She was looking for a chance to stage a fall, or some incident, where she could call the cops.  When that didn't happen, she called the cops anyway.  It was 10s of thousands to fight just those, and the cost of the divorce was change less than 200k. The case went to the Court of Special Appeals.  The decision, including the dissent, was 125 pages long.  But, I got use and possession of the family home and vehicles, kept most of my assets and got sole legal and physical custody of my two sons.  She even paid me child support, and very regularly I might add.  At the end of three years, I purchased her half of the house.

We had everything in the case, murder of an expert witness, disbarment, rape allegations and bankruptcy.  It was quite a ride.
View Quote
God damned!  As someone else who got divorced in this Godforsaken state, one of the things I was told was that judges would try very VERY hard to keep things from going to trial, much less the probability of an appeals court accepting it.  Is the appeals decision sealed?  I'd love to read it simply from a legal standpoint, but I understand completely if you'd rather keep it confidential.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
OP,

if you want the marriage to work, then work for it.

there are worse things than getting to bed early and picking up after yourself.
View Quote
It's not actions that count, it's motives.  WHY does she want him to come to bed earlier?  For sex?  Because she thinks he doesn't get enough sleep? Because she thinks her way is the best way, and those that don't follow her way are wrong?  Or because it's simply something that she can make him do? 

In the last 2 cases, him going to bed earlier will change nothing, because it's not about bed time, it's about power and control. Acceding to her demands won't fix that.

In the first 2 cases, it might do something, but again, it's not the actual problem. If the OP is basically holding out on sex, yeah, I'd divorce you too. Or they have sex, but not the way she wants.  If she's concerned for his health, identify that problem, don't just go with "Ok, I did what you asked, happy now?"
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#45]
"she thinks if we get a divorce she would live in the house and i would pay.."

"i told her it would have to be sold, since its 1/2 mine, and i would need the $ to get a new place, she thinks otherwise."

wonder where she got those ideas from
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
She already has a lawyer or has atleast consulted with one.
View Quote
Or, she already has a boyfriend or at least "consulted" with one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#47]
LOL, year old zombie thread rises again
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
God damned!  As someone else who got divorced in this Godforsaken state, one of the things I was told was that judges would try very VERY hard to keep things from going to trial, much less the probability of an appeals court accepting it.  Is the appeals decision sealed?  I'd love to read it simply from a legal standpoint, but I understand completely if you'd rather keep it confidential.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll tell you what I avoid -- and that's "trial" in front of the former domestic equity masters, now called magistrates.  What a convocation of clowns.  We made sure that case was tried before a real circuit court judge, and a woman no less.  She saw right through the ex in a way that a male would not have.  I knew of the judge before my trial, but I had only one minor matter in front of her before the trial, and nothing since.

My decision was unreported, and I have misplaced the decision.  I would actually like to find a copy for my own reasons.  If I do, I will send you a copy.  You will not believe it.  It's like a novel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'll tell you what I avoid -- and that's "trial" in front of the former domestic equity masters, now called magistrates.  What a convocation of clowns.  We made sure that case was tried before a real circuit court judge, and a woman no less.  She saw right through the ex in a way that a male would not have.  I knew of the judge before my trial, but I had only one minor matter in front of her before the trial, and nothing since.

My decision was unreported, and I have misplaced the decision.  I would actually like to find a copy for my own reasons.  If I do, I will send you a copy.  You will not believe it.  It's like a novel.
View Quote
Yep, mne was in front of a master, because my lawyer just wanted the case done - she thought I wasn't paying my bills, when really she was sending the bills to my ex at my old address. Magistrate was an old guy who took pity on her - she even completely forgot about our first hearing, and he called her and continued via teleconference.  Still turned out OK though - not as good as if I had my lawyer actually fighting for me, but better than it could have.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yep, mne was in front of a master, because my lawyer just wanted the case done - she thought I wasn't paying my bills, when really she was sending the bills to my ex at my old address. Magistrate was an old guy who took pity on her - she even completely forgot about our first hearing, and he called her and continued via teleconference.  Still turned out OK though - not as good as if I had my lawyer actually fighting for me, but better than it could have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The master/magistrate system is VERY old boyish.  If you're an outsider, you're screwed.  They are also very biased against men.  A man in front of a master will know exactly what it was like to have been an African American in an Alabama court in the 1840s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top