Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2016 7:23:18 PM EDT
My 70 year old mother has been talking about needing a gun for hd.  Now Mom isn't a frail woman by any means but she is 70 years old.  I'm willing to buy her whatever works but not sure what to get.  

She has zero experience shooting firearms and lives alone.  

thanks for any advice
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If she can handle a shotgun get that. If not a revolver in a smaller caliber.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
.38 revolver
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.38 revolver
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.38 revolver
View Quote

Colt small frame
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I am going to go against tradition and suggest a pistol caliber carbine, something light and compact. Teach her how to use it. Has the ability to mount optics/lasers/lights. If you put an optic, I would recommend something fiberoptic w/tritium.

That's my outside the box thinking.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#6]
A long gun will be a better idea than a pistol or revolver. I would recommend a PCC or an AR.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
A super lightweight AR with a red dot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd take her to a trusted gun store with a range.  At a good store, the staff should go out of their way to help her find a weapon that works for her.  I'd buy her a session or two of training with that gun at the same time if you aren't confident/qualified to teach her, or if you think she'd feel more confident with someone else (i.e., a "professional" may not have more experience but she might believe they are, and that might make all the difference).

For my mom? The best fit would probably be a reasonably lightweight 20 ga auto with a correctly fitted, recoil reducing stock, 18" barrel, a slightly extended mag tube (same capacity as a revolver), and a slightly large fibre optic front bead to make it easy to aim accurately.  I know some people hate the idea of a shotgun as a home defense weapon, but they are easy to understand and use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top