Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2015 3:59:58 PM EDT
I'm thinking of going camping in Shawnee National Forest which is down in southern IL.  I've never been around rattlesnakes or anything like that.  I have three small kids a 2 year old boy and two girls ages 6 and 7.   I'd like to take them and my wife primitive camping and IL doesn't have much to offer other than southern IL.

Do you gals whom live in snake area's think we will be OK?   Most likely my wife and I are over thinking this.  I just want to have a nice adventure with the family.

thank you  
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you might be over thinking it depending on you and your families outdoor experience. I'm not really sure what you mean by "primitive" camping but if your family isn't comfortable in the outdoors then you might need to start teaching some wilderness knowledge now. I wouldn't let kids those ages wonder off alone and I would make sure they understand what a snake is and not to touch it. Same with skunks or racoons. Buying an animal guide is a good start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top