Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2015 5:11:07 PM EDT
Hello ladies! I was wondering if any of you are on the shorter size and shoot shotguns. I'm just under 5'5" with short arms. I've only shot pistols for the most part. I've been thinking about a shotgun, maybe do clays or that sort of thing. I suspect I would need a youth/compact model. I've been eying a Remington 870 compact model online. Just have to find someone with a youth shotgun I could try out.

Any suggestions for shotguns to try out and how to reduce recoil?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Also might check out the Mossberg 500 & Maverick 88 youth models.  Some of them have a Bantam stock that is quite short.  The Remington can of course be simply cut w/ a good saw.

20 ga buck w/ a Pachmayr Vindicator pistol grip is fun!
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a 12" hogue on my 870. I shoot skeet with it occasionally and am profecient. But it's just me and a couple of friends on a holiday instead of a public range. I won't own another serious shotgun without at most a 12" stock. It's glorious.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
There are quite a few variables to shotgun fit. I used to know the terms (comb length? Length of pitch? Who knows.  ), but that was a while ago.

Point is, I'd recommend picking up and pointing a LOT of shotguns - don't just assume you need a youth model. I'm about your height (less than an inch taller). My "back home deer shotgun" is a youth 870 in 20ga. My "blow thorough cases of ammo blasting clays" shotgun is a 12ga Winchester SX3.

One place height CAN play into it is with a pump -I think it's easier for shorter people to short-stroke. That can be exacerbated by some clothing. Youth guns can fix that, but so can training.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife loves her benelli m2 in 20 gauge. she's been shooting 3 gun with it for 3 or 4 years now and runs it like a champ.

Super light and very well balanced (most gas guns on the market are very front end heavy).

We attended a shotgun match that called for something around 250 rounds of shot, 25 slugs and 25 buck over two days and she didn't have any issues at all.

it was an investment, but money well spent knowing she enjoys shooting it. (don't cheap out on buying the wife equipment.. in this case it opened up her interest/ability to shoot with me and led to many more purchases )
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife is 5'3 and 115lbs and I just picked her up a 870 youth 20ga for $180 in the used section at cabellas. Looks to haven't been shot but a couple times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top