Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2015 9:54:55 AM EDT
Good Morning Women Shooters!

I tried researching this, but can't find much info, so I'm not sure if this is a common issue or not.

I'm trying to search for a new firearm for my self, and would like it to be something my wife can shoot as well (whether for fun or home defense). The problem is that she is kinda short (5'4") and "well endowed", so I'm curious what other girls do for gun fit? Do you go for different shaped stocks that are more of a sideways "L" shape to get around things? Do most adjustable AR stocks work well?

She is pretty shy, so I don't think she would have the greatest time walking into a gun store and trying every firearm off the shelf, so pointers for things to look for would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, Pics or it ain't happening. second a youth model?  really depends on what type "gun" you're  'looking at,  A AR type with multi position stock has a fair bit of empty space between the grip and butt plate.  There might be some fancy competition stocks that might work, but they get pricey.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
FS2000 is a NO_GO.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
My daughter has the same problem.  Haven't found any stocks specifically designed to resolve the issue.  There's some guns she just can't shoot comfortably, like my AK M70 underfolder.  Other guns, she just has a unique "cheek" weld.  No pic happening.  You're just going to have to bite the bullet and take her to the LGS and check fit.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep it respectful, this is the ladies section not a locker room. NO asking for pics, joking or not.

The height issue, meaning a short length of pull, is easily resolved by choosing guns made specifically for that issue.  They are usually marketed as youth, ladies or similar descriptions.  I'm not sure what the issue is with her chest size, I've never seen a case where being well endowed interfered with shooting.  I'm "well endowed" and it's never affected my shooting, although I am much taller than she is but I'm not sure if that makes any difference, it may.  What's the problem exactly?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a friend (Ross) who is an FFL in Starksboro, VT and runs Lonely Mountain Arms with his Wife. His Wife (Alix) fits the description of your Wife and perhaps could help her out, as she's an avid competitive shooter.

Lonely Mountain Arms
http://lonelymountainarms.com/

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Google up "cast" or "cast off" stocks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife has a similar figure and the same problem. Like many women she has relatively narrow or small shoulders which is also part of the issue. The fit problem is because most rifles and many shotguns have too much toe to the stock for such women. The gun cannot be properly mounted because the point of the toe digs in to the flesh. So an attempt is made to either cant the rifle at an extreme angle or to mount it with most of the butt above the shoulder and not resting on anything. Neither of those options leads to good or comfortable shooting. Are there any stocks with the last inch or two of the toe trimmed off? Probably would have to be custom.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm having an issue picturing how her breast can be that in the way. I have large breast and have never had a problem with shouldering a rifle. Can you give me more info on her stance. Maybe a picture. I'm thinking this might be a positioning issue not a breast size issue.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm having an issue picturing how her breast can be that in the way. I have large breast and have never had a problem with shouldering a rifle. Can you give me more info on her stance. Maybe a picture. I'm thinking this might be a positioning issue not a breast size issue.
View Quote

The stance she has to take is a bit like the gal in this video (after 3:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgo6MalXkTg

I'm used to teaching guys, and a guy will have a stance with one shoulder further forward, you can see the girl in the video has to have her shoulders more parallel to the target.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Firstly, a woman shouldn't shoot differently than a man unless compensating for weight of rifle or reach. The girl in the video has a lot of small errors in her stance and position of stock that is causing major issues in her shooting. The type of carbine she was shooting didn't allow for any personal adjustment to the stock or grip to help compensate for shorter reach. That lead to her doing what a lot of woman do, having to turn one shoulder forward and leaning back. If your shooting from a Weaver stance then having one shoulder forward is fine but you need to keep your back straight and lock your arms. The Isoscele stance is more popular these days. The girl in the video would have benefited from squaring up a bit more,  rounding her shoulders and leaning towards the target. That would have created more of a pocket to set the stock. The stock of the gun should be high enough that her breast wouldnt be in the way. The modern Fighter stance is a combination of the two and a good way to keep stability if she is shooting something a little too heavy or long for her.

I think what would solve her problem would be to help her build something that fits her better. Make sure the stock is adjustable, find comfortable grips and make sure its not too heavy. Then have her practice squaring up, rounding her shoulders, leaning forward with knees bent. She should be able to find that shoulder pocket pretty easy.

I have fired many different sized weapons with many different adjustments and was always able to make minute hand placement changes to compensate for bad fit when I wasnt able to actually adjust anything on the rifle.

This woman has pretty good form and shoots a wide variety of weapons. She also reviews different guns and parts that may be helpful for you.

https://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#11]
ummmmm

yeah

that video is

i dont think the girl in the video "has" to have her shoulders more parallel to the target--i dont think the video is about her shooting stance --it seems to be T&A

i wasnt aware that teaching girls to shoot was any different from teaching guys to shoot--correct stance and positioning of the rifle are fairly standard, imo
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#12]
My 2 cents: A good lady friend of mine who fits a similar description and has held some of my ARs, liked a "Shorter and lighter" AR setup.

14.5in lightweight barrel, middy gas, lightweight rail, short stock, smaller grips, etc.
If she's stuck holding the gun closer to the magwell on the rail, having less weight on the gun helps with that immensely. Lighter lights, sights, optics, etc, all helps again.

I'd also mull over stocks like this:
Magpul MOE SL stock
battlearms sabertube

Goodluck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top