Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/13/2015 4:14:01 PM EDT
Women Shooters used to be an active, fun place to post

one of the reasons i quit posting was because Wimminz became slow and boring

check in and tell me about yourself

i am d_c  

if i ever get my avatar back, you will see why  

i have had the same screen name since i started posting on bbs in college--no i am not a devil worshipper  

i work in the mental health field

i used to get in trouble for going to shoots and never firing a shot--i like arfcom gatherings for the social opportunity and have met many menz and wimminz IRL, who i am happy to call friend

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, then you should log out and log back in.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if i ever get my avatar back, you will see why  

Well, then you should log out and log back in.

well, thank you, hun  

thanks for the intro post, too  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm xcr.

I have a warped sense of humor and a severe obsession with high heels and butterscotch.

I work in an office, but I used to work for Robinson Armament.

It would be nice for this section to get more traffic.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm SPJ

In the process of getting back into speech pathology.

Getting back to focusing on me after baby.

Very much a nerd.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm Brandi (surprised huh?), I'm a former country girl now trapped in a soulless, life sucking city in the middle of nowhere.  I'm single, never been married and without children but who know's what the future holds.  I used to be an outdoors nut but I developed a really nasty case of degenerative disc disease in my mid 20's which has progressed to the point now that I'm unable to even walk without high doses of pain medication.  On the meds I can get around fairly well for short periods of time ( around 2 hours).  I used to be very into collecting teddy bears, the color pink, hiking, cooking, music, boating, fishing, shooting, hunting and archery, especially bow hunting and bow fishing.  I still cook every day but nothing like I used to since it's too painful to stand long enough and the medication takes away my sense of taste.  I can no longer afford to buy teddy bears for my collection but I still love the bears I have . On the rare occasion I do go out for a doctor appointment, grocery shopping or the even rarer purpose of entertainment, like going to the range, I spend the next several days in excruciating pain.  We went to a car show a couple weeks ago, I knew it was going to gimp me up but I hadn't had an "entertainment day" in months and my sis really wanted to go (we are both car nuts).  We went and it kicked my butt.  For five days afterwards I was unable to walk and in unbearable pain.  The next three days after that I was able to walk around the house but still hurt like hell.  It took till the ninth day before the pain decreased enough that it wasn't consuming.  

Prior to getting to the point where I couldn't work anymore I worked a few different jobs.  I've worked as a firefighter/EMT, a police officer, a bounty hunter and various less exciting work as a QC inspector for large, and small, manufacturing companies.  It was just too hard to make a living as a public servants which was what prompted my move to the private sector.  Wasn't nearly as exciting, fulfilling or rewarding but paid significantly more.  I've worked my butt off throughout my life, often working multiple jobs at the same time.  I was one of those people who worked every extra hour and day of overtime available, including holidays because I was raised to believe if you wanted something nice you work your butt off for it.  That's probably why I'm so bitter at the government for trying to screw me over on the disability issue.  But that's a whole can of worms best not opened here.

Now living in the city I don't have access to places where I could get in and out easily enough to hunt which really stinks.  I would LOVE to go hog hunting but yeah, nowhere easy enough to go and since I no longer have an income, there's no going on paid hunts.  I'm currently in a legal battle with the government to get disability but until they make a decision I have no income.  I spent my entire retirement on just surviving and paying the associated medical bills and now live with my sis who's an RN.  I've had two major surgeries and multiple minor procedures to help control the pain.  They all helped for awhile but my issues continued to worsen.  I have another major surgery in the future as soon as I can afford it, which will hopefully provide some relief but it's not a guarantee of anything.

That's enough of the negative stuff.  While I can't out very often and when I do, I pay a big pain price, I still love to go to the range when possible.  Shooting at the indoor range isn't nearly as fun as shooting outdoors but it's better than nothing.  I've accrued a decent collection of guns  (about 11 handguns and 12 long guns) over the years and I love shooting whenever I can.  I love shooting all guns but my favorite revolver to shoot is my S&W 629 V-Comp .44MAG PC and my favorite rifle to shoot is my Alexander Arms .50Beowulf.  I love the big boomers lol.  

Anywho, I'm hoping that someday there will be something to fix my medical issues but until then I'm just doing what I can.  While the odds of my medical issues getting better aren't that great currently I still have faith it's possible.  I can wish myself to death but it's not going to do a bit of good so I try to make everything else fun.  Doesn't always work and it does get hard to handle but there are plenty of folks out there worse off than me so whenever I start feeling too sorry for myself I think of that.  

So, while things have been pretty rough for the last 20+ years I still have my dreams.  A nice log home in the mountains with a river running through my land, a few horses, a pool, plenty of fish and game to feed the family, wildlife walking through the yard each morning, white Christmases and big wood burning fireplace to enjoy that white Christmas in front of.  Since this is a dream I'll add a "vacation" home in Key West or other such tropical paradise.  A traditional beach home with a view of the ocean.  Fishing and diving for fish and lobster for that nights dinner.  Watching the sunset and sunrise sitting on a quiet sandy beach sipping a cocktails out of a pineapple.  Hey, it could happen.  

Probably far more info than the OP wanted but I'm gimped up in bed and really bored so you got the long version.  Well not the long version but the longer version.  If you're sitting around reading this, you're probably bored too and if you weren't when you started reading, you are now lol.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, Brandi, I had no idea you were going through such a terrible ordeal. I am so sorry.

I sympathize with the longing to be in the country. I've always lived in small towns, and sometimes I miss being able to sit on the porch and shoot coffee cans in the back yard.

We are moving at the end of may into our first house, in an area that's just the right balance of accessibility/empty.

I hope things get better for you. I'm glad you're keeping your spunk despite everything
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
XCR: Do you like walks on the beach, rainbows, and butterflies?
View Quote

I like jars of severed penises and the tears of baby foxes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm xcr.

I have a warped sense of humor and a severe obsession with high heels and butterscotch.

View Quote

I'm BS and I have a girl crush on XCR and snaps.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow, Brandi, I had no idea you were going through such a terrible ordeal. I am so sorry.

I sympathize with the longing to be in the country. I've always lived in small towns, and sometimes I miss being able to sit on the porch and shoot coffee cans in the back yard.

We are moving at the end of may into our first house, in an area that's just the right balance of accessibility/empty.

I hope things get better for you. I'm glad you're keeping your spunk despite everything
View Quote

Thanks, it's rough but I'm still alive and partially kicking lol.  It's either laugh or cry and I hate having "after cry congested puffy face" so I limit that as much as possible.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm xcr.

Speaking of girl crushes....

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Hi ladies, I'm Dorotea (DT works too)- I'm new to arfcom, though my husband is not. I made an account after participating in Cola Warrior West last month with him. Which was super fun, BTW, and I highly encourage more women to participate. My interests include reading, cycling, hiking, camping, fishing, and shooting (of course). I recently got my own AR15 completed, so now I don't have to borrow my hubby's. He does USPSA and 3 gun matches, and now that I have my own rifle (already had a pistol), I am beginning to play with the idea of trying out some competitions. I work in healthcare and have a significant population of chronic pain patients, so reading Brandi's post really touched me. I hope you find relief. Anyway, being new here, I hope the women's forum becomes more active. I am highly entertained by reading GD but am not interested in posting much in that environment.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Hi! I'm Alazakla, and I'm a gun junkie!

My screen name is a compilation of the states that were important milestones;

Born in Alabama  AL
Grew up in Arizona AZ
Moved to Alaska (where I met my future hubby) AK
Now living in Louisiana (where he's from and where we ended up after he got out of the USAF) LA

No kids, just a husband, dog & 5 donkeys. Been a volunteer firefighter in our rural district since January of 2012 and recently got my EMT-B certification, going for the Advanced this summer maybe.

I've been a shooter from an EARLY age, like 5 yrs old, not very active in it anymore (life priorities have a way of interfering) but have been a Cowboy Action Shooting competitor since 1993, with 4 World Champion buckles in my category.

Built a couple ARs, one a .300 Blackout SBR. Got into suppressors (remember that life priority thing....$$$...). I mostly shoot suppressed .22s now, when I can find ammo!

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fantastic opening line for a first date.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Born in Alabama  AL
Grew up in Arizona AZ
Now living in Louisiana (where he's from and where we ended up after he got out of the USAF) LA

No kids, just a husband, dog & 5 donkeys. Been a volunteer firefighter in our rural district since January of 2012 and recently got my EMT-B certification, going for the Advanced this summer maybe.

I've been a shooter from an EARLY age, like 5 yrs old, not very active in it anymore (life priorities have a way of interfering) but have been a Cowboy Action Shooting competitor since 1993, with 4 World Champion buckles in my category.

Built a couple ARs, one a .300 Blackout SBR. Got into suppressors (remember that life priority thing....$$$...). I mostly shoot suppressed .22s now, when I can find ammo!

View Quote

Cool name, I lived in Phoenix for a couple years, it was nice.  It was there I first learned that one does not mix sidewalks and bare feet in the AZ lol.  Welcome!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Born in Alabama  AL

Grew up in Arizona AZ

View Quote
You close to the MS line?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Closer to the Texas line than Mississippi.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Dang it!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]
So glad to see you all!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So no one wants to take long walks on the beach?
View Quote
I heard our beach was making people sick  

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Toes in the water, ass in the sand is how i like my beach, Z. Preferably with a good book in my hand.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I LOVE beaches and long walks on the beach but you could walk yourself to death and never find a beach in this state.  I do miss my former home state of Florida..
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I was just trying to annoy the evil chicken lady.

Now that this thread is up and running and leave you ladies to chat. Welcome to the board!
View Quote
You tease

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey yall! Lets keep this thread going. Like some of the other threads in here like the 365 and Rictus threads.
We can do it a week at a time. It can be a place to see what everyone is up to and get to know all the ladies better.

What ya say?!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hey yall! Lets keep this thread going. Like some of the other threads in here like the 365 and Rictus threads. We can do it a week at a time. It can be a place to see what everyone is up to and get to know all the ladies better.

What ya say?!
View Quote

I'm in. I miss the busier Women's Shooters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey yall! Lets keep this thread going. Like some of the other threads in here like the 365 and Rictus threads. We can do it a week at a time. It can be a place to see what everyone is up to and get to know all the ladies better.

What ya say?!

Yay!

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dang it!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang it!!  

Maybe we can plan a MS-LA ARF Sisters get together sometime this year.
Of course at a friendly range for toy handling!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang it!!  

That would be cool I don't have any ladies close to me

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#33]
My most recent update: I was cleaning up after cooking dinner and had a back spasm, which happens often but this time when I grabbed for the countertop to catch myself, my fingers landed on a hot stove burner instead.  OUCH!!!!  So now I have second degree burns across the ends of my middle three fingers on my right hand.  Good news is I got it under cold water really fast and had a bottle of burn gel in the fridge (cold burn gel on a fresh burn feels so much better than room temperature).  So I got it slathered with the gel (basically aloe vera gel with lidocaine and a few other ingredients) and bandaged up pretty fast.  Helps that I'm a former EMT and my sis, who I live with, is an RN.  I'm about 4 days from the incident and it's healing really well.  The fingertips got the worst of it and they are all blistering up, might be some tissue damage on my trigger finger but so far so good.  

I think I dodged a bullet and it's going to heal up without any permanent damage.  They are just now starting to tingle which is the nerves regenerating, I figure probably another week before it's mostly good to go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My most recent update: I was cleaning up after cooking dinner and had a back spasm, which happens often but this time when I grabbed for the countertop to catch myself, my fingers landed on a hot stove burner instead.  OUCH!!!!  So now I have second degree burns across the ends of my middle three fingers on my right hand.  Good news is I got it under cold water really fast and had a bottle of burn gel in the fridge (cold burn gel on a fresh burn feels so much better than room temperature).  So I got it slathered with the gel (basically aloe vera gel with lidocaine and a few other ingredients) and bandaged up pretty fast.  Helps that I'm a former EMT and my sis, who I live with, is an RN.  I'm about 4 days from the incident and it's healing really well.  The fingertips got the worst of it and they are all blistering up, might be some tissue damage on my trigger finger but so far so good.  

I think I dodged a bullet and it's going to heal up without any permanent damage.  They are just now starting to tingle which is the nerves regenerating, I figure probably another week before it's mostly good to go.
View Quote
Ouch!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Brandi, thoughts and prayers sent your way for complete healing and no scaring.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks all .  My life is cursed but compared to my other issues this burned is pretty minor.  Hurt like hell the first day but no pain at all since.  Starting to hurt on my fingertips but it's manageable.  Could have been far worse so I'm thankful for that.  It'll heal and fortunately my trigger finger should be as good as new or really close to it. Maybe it'll make my trigger finger more sensitive .
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks all .  My life is cursed but compared to my other issues this burned is pretty minor.  Hurt like hell the first day but no pain at all since.  Starting to hurt on my fingertips but it's manageable.  Could have been far worse so I'm thankful for that.  It'll heal and fortunately my trigger finger should be as good as new or really close to it. Maybe it'll make my trigger finger more sensitive .
View Quote

good gracious, woman--you are a better sport than i would be  

i like to say my life is dull and boring, so i dont post very much, here or on other social media

i have no kids and my 2 cats are not very exciting--hubby works a bunch, so we are sometimes lucky to even see each other--this can be a good thing

i went shooting about a month ago;  hubby taught a CCW class and i went along to shoot.  I used to have bad habits with stance i had to break and shooting felt pretty good and natural, which i suppose means i have successfully retrained myself--it had probably been more than a year since i shot before then  i dont get out much
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

i like to say my life is dull and boring, so i dont post very much, here or on other social media

i have no kids and my 2 cats are not very exciting--hubby works a bunch, so we are sometimes lucky to even see each other--this can be a good thing

i went shooting about a month ago;  hubby taught a CCW class and i went along to shoot.  I used to have bad habits with stance i had to break and shooting felt pretty good and natural, which i suppose means i have successfully retrained myself--it had probably been more than a year since i shot before then  i dont get out much
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I have my moments when it all just becomes unbearable and I lose it but can't live like that all the time.  On the bright side, the fingers have healed up for the most part.  I'm guessing that about a week more and there will be no telling it ever happened.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Hi, I'm Naamah  (or Shedevil). Married, 1 kiddo, a dog, and a cat. I live out in the country, thank the gods. Shooting is a hobby, plus a useful skill to have for hunting, which puts a lot of the food on our table. I spent 4 years in the Army, then went to nursing school.

I also enjoy showing and training dogs, reading, hiking, gardening, and all manner of other mischief. I spend a lot of my Arftime in the 24/365 threads in GD.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Hello, I'm Katara. I remember posters like daisywench, SP1Girl, catsclaw, Ginger (RIP beautiful lady), persephone, GabbasaurusRex, and others. I miss their contributions.

I'm married with 4 kids and a baby boy on the way. SAHM for now. I've been shooting since I was 10, or about that age. I used to own an AR-15 and miss it. I'm a big reader, crafter (scrapbook, make cards, make jewelry, a little easy painting,  cross stitcher, and would LOVE to learn how to sew), and listen to music.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:48:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm Faydreh, aka Fay.  I'm still new to firearms, and have yet to own one.  Student loans take precedence right now, hurray!

I was born overseas and adopted as a wee baby, lived most of my life in WA, and now I'm in AZ.  I work for a large hotel chain answering inbound calls, and hopefully will work from home soon.  I'm pretty darned introverted, so doing customer service all day burns me out pretty hard on being social very much.

Interests include guns (go figure), video games, cooking, and reading voraciously.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Yay! We getting some ladies in here!!!

So what do yall have going on this week?

I sent out an application to a new job yesterday day. Cross your finger! I take the math and writing part of the praxis over tomorrow. More crossing of fingers!!

I want/need to get back to what I want to do for a career.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#43]
We're fighting idiot underwriters so we can get our house. I'm packing, cleaning, and gaming on rotation.

They tried to deny our loan Friday, because they messed up the math. We countered. Now there may be a solution. Knowing it might be resolved has lifted some stress from our shoulders. We can both sleep at night. For now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

We're fighting idiot underwriters so we can get our house. I'm packing, cleaning, and gaming on rotation.

They tried to deny our loan Friday, because they messed up the math. We countered. Now there may be a solution. Knowing it might be resolved has lifted some stress from our shoulders. We can both sleep at night. For now.
View Quote
It is so nerve racking buying a house!! I hope we are in this house for a long time!

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#45]
I'll be happy to just get mine

I worry we won't close on time. We were already on a tight schedule. We may have to stay in a hotel for a week
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#46]
3D ultrasound of baby today, the oldest 2 have their last band concert this evening, and nesting.  

Good luck on your test SPJ and XCR, my fingers are crossed for you and Mike to get your house!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
3D ultrasound of baby today, the oldest 2 have their last band concert this evening, and nesting.  

Good luck on your test SPJ and XCR, my fingers are crossed for you and Mike to get your house!
View Quote

Thanks, honey

It will be kinda cool that Evelyn has a sibling her age
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm working M/T/W this week after a weekend of taking care of a sick hubby. Then on Thursday we all fly out to attend my grandmother's funeral. She died on Saturday.

Not the greatest of weeks for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
Aw baby!!!

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'm working M/T/W this week after a weekend of taking care of a sick hubby. Then on Thursday we all fly out to attend my grandmother's funeral. She died on Saturday.

Not the greatest of weeks for me.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top