Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2014 7:38:25 PM EDT
So, my wife has been shooting her M&P Shield on a weekly basis (50 rounds every Sunday) since June. She's pretty good at it, but she doesn't have a lot of decent outdoor range wear clothing (she's a city girl).  Well, took her to Gander Mountain and they literally only had one type of pants in the whole female clothing section other than thin yoga pants and sweat pants.  She ordered some female Vertx pants, but hated the way they fit (crotch was too baggy).  5.11 makes some pants for women, but only offer them in a regular and large length (my wife is 5'3").  She's not into camp hunting stuff to wear.  I'm pointing her toward North Face and Arcterx online, but she hates buying stuff she can't try on first. So, basically I'm looking for ideas as to what you ladies wear to the range.  Thinking about taking a trip down to REI and maybe Cabelas for her so if you know any good brands to look for please let me know.  

The pants she found at Gander Mountain had very small tight belt loops that wouldn't work for the cobra buckle pistol belt with its 1.5" nylon she uses at the range.  So, the pants we're looking for would have to have decent belt loops.

Thanks for any help ladies.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for replies to your thread. I have yet to find any suitable range pants for myself...it's hard enough finding hiking pants!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, there's not really a shortage of "outdoors womens clothing".

There's a shortage of "tactical womens clothing".

Cabelas isn't really the kind of store you're looking for. They advertise it as if it is, but it's not. You need to be looking at 2 stores: REI and EMS, or find smaller similar stores. The stores that carry quality women's clothing aren't typically selling guns, baseball mitts, and hunting clothing. You need to find a store that sell kayaks, climbing gear, ski equipment, hiking packs, and altimeter watches.

You're trying to steer her towards tactical clothing (5.11, Vertex, Arxteryx). There's a lot of high quality clothing for both genders available but it's not stuff you see online at SKD Tactical or at the Wal-Greens of outdoor equipment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
REI has tons of women's clothing that is cute and good for hiking and such.

Cabela's has a decent selection.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I just wear jeans to the  range.  I'm  only shooting  inside.  I'm a plus sized gal and REI has a better selection than Cabelas.  Don't be afraid to shop online  though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#5]
She ordered a pair of the women's Stryke pants from 5.11 so I'm hoping that will fit the bill. We're going to a North Face outlet store to see if we can find any good deals.

Picked her up a North Face soft-shell coat that's decent.

Biggest challenge so far seems to be with the belt loop sizes.  The belt loops on women's pants are not made to handle those thick nylon 1.5" belts. The other issue is the height at which the waist sits for women's tactical pants due to their hips and that doesn't always put the gun belt at a good height. I gotta tell ya I hope the tactical clothing industry really starts to pay more attention to women.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This. REI brand clothing is good and they have a decent selection.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Fleece lined leggings. Wear them under jeans. That's my winter wear.

The rest of the year? jeans. I find khaki material loathsome.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I frequently end up buying men's pants.  Though that's largely for the length since I'm pretty tall.  But then I get useable pockets and sturdy belt loops that I need for non-girlie things like going to the range or other outdoor things.  It might be harder for her to find men's pants that fit since she's shorter, and depending on her shape (hips and butt) they might not fit comfortably anyway.

ETA, pic of me taken on Sunday at the range...these are men's EOTach pants, I have men's 5.11's too.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

What kind of belt are you using to support your holster and mag pouch?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I frequently end up buying men's pants.  Though that's largely for the length since I'm pretty tall.  But then I get useable pockets and sturdy belt loops that I need for non-girlie things like going to the range or other outdoor things.  It might be harder for her to find men's pants that fit since she's shorter, and depending on her shape (hips and butt) they might not fit comfortably anyway.

ETA, pic of me taken on Sunday at the range...these are men's EOTach pants, I have men's 5.11's too.  

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/Glockgirl26/10712482_10152296915077003_9018939196189016009_o_zps41111a4f.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, she'll have to have the pants hemmed, because 5.11 only offer regular or long in length for women even though they have WAY more options for men.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a dude and I've been very pleased with Kuhl pants... They make women's pants too.

If I were a chick I'd check them out.

They do have them at REI and Gander Mountain.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#13]
You might also try Tru-Spec 24-7 tactical pants for women.
http://www.truspec.com/-p-10.html
For women it says that they come with 35" unhemmed length so she can customize them to fit her frame.

It will probably have to be mail-order. Amazon, OpticsPlanet and many others sell the. I (male) now wear them exclusively and bought them for ~$40 each (rip-stop poly/cotton) sight-unseen since I've never seen them sold in any retail setting.

My Wife bought the 5.11 Stryke pants (similar to the Tru-Spec 24-7 but price controlled at $70/pr) in a gun shop we were in. She likes them and she's 5'4".
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, we need to do a trip out to REI. It's a 2 1/2 drive there so it's like a whole day event pretty much going there. We might stop out at a North Face outlet store this weekend to check on some things.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]
If you wanna save a trip you can find women's gear/clothing through activejunky.com and earn cash back from all the major retail chains. Cabelas is currently at 10% when jumping from here http://www.activejunky.com/retailer/cabelas. Theres all kinds of other retailers on there too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I'm doing serious shooting and not just puttering, I wear the SO's black hawk thigh rig. It works best for me with what I have.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Look at Flashbang holster belts. Stylish and sturdy. Works great for IWB and OWB.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#18]
L A Police Gear has 337 items of interest to women, including the pants you seek.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Look at Flashbang holster belts. Stylish and sturdy. Works great for IWB and OWB.
View Quote

Yes, those are wonderful. I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife has bought few items from this site.http://www.mizmac.com/
They have excellent customer service as well.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#21]
UPDATE:

My wife received last night a pair of 5.11 Flex Stryke Pants for women and their new Storm Grey color and she is very pleased them. They fit her hips much better than the Vertx female pants she had previously tried. The Vertx didn't really form well and looked like she was wearing man pants. Whereas, the 5.11's do really form well and even though she's only like 5'3" or so the regular length was not bad although I've got to get her to wear them with her hiking shoes on to know for sure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top